1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

About the space station...

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by iblob, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ecchiholic

Ecchiholic Cosmic Narwhal

Poor guy.

2. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

This. As you go you gain more access, this will keep you from getting your greedy little paws in everything at once.

3. Deathend

Deathend Pangalactic Porcupine

im almost sure that you access new areas by getting special items on story quests.
    the devs sayd that the space station restoratios would be part of the story so i assume (sorry not sure how it writes) that they send you to a story planet on a quest to gater only-quests-special-materials (:rofl:) to craft an item.. lets say a energy module for a door that leads to one of the sections of the space station, and time to time you whith so much luck you can find randomly little cuantities of the mat to craft more.
    and new sections wpild need even more of that item so you will take long time to unlock the higher tiers of the station...
    (if i was speaking i would have died of asphyxia (yes i looked on a online dictionary :rofl:))

4. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

I would love the game even more for this
    who am I kidding that is already impossible

5. SuperKleb

SuperKleb Void-Bound Voyager

Perhaps have a number of "hard-points" that come with each module or compartment, so that you can bolt on extras. I mean things that are functional like turrets, a radar, or simply other small modules that act as living rooms for your npc's. As for unlocking them, Id like to see quests involved, perhaps (and I think this is mentioned in Blues list of things) where you hunt for a blueprint that some crazed space-yeti has run off with (Pretty sure Blue never mentioned space yeti's, I meant blueprints haha)
    Theres an idea...... SPACE YETI'S!

6. Spygamer

Spygamer Master Chief

This would be pretty cool. Hopefully they don't take a more "grinding" approach... that would be tedious.
    I have faith that they won't though, and whatever they decide will be awesome regardless :)

7. SuperKleb

I know a lot of people hate grinding, but I think at least some should be involved. You know, inkeeping with a whole space survivor/scavenger feel. But yeah, it could be done in a more interesting way and I have faith in the devs haha

8. Spygamer

Spygamer Master Chief

This is true, maybe finding a few important pieces or something that are required, rather than just needed 60 of something that every mob drops.
    It could still be interested with grinding, but I think it will be better off if it's more quest-based or something along those lines

9. Deathend

Deathend Pangalactic Porcupine

i think it could be both, found in chests ruins or whatever, and from quests

that could help, if you want rush in the game to get better items jus do quest after quest, if you can wait, just explore or do what you want

10. SuperKleb

Indeed. There are a few ways they could swing it whilst still being creative. Detailed quest NPC's would have been brilliant in Terraria, and would be key to bringing about a sense of story driven adventure in StarBound, and to breaking the monotony of "collect X items" missions. Looking forward to what they come up with :)

11. Joxalot

Joxalot Subatomic Cosmonaut

I really hope there are space station sieges from enemy factions where they breach your hangars, teleport in or even break the hull with droppods and they hack most systems so elevators, computers and turrets might not work (depending on how prepared they are)

SuperKleb likes this.
  12. Dal

Dal Phantasmal Quasar

i think the space station will be extended when you complete the main quests. i wouldn't mind running around killing stuff for blueprints tho xD

13. Joxalot

Joxalot Subatomic Cosmonaut

Sorry to go off-topic but is it confirmed to have a fixed main quests?

Also doing special quests around the universe could unlock blueprints on special parts for the Space Station that would give the player awesome new features, from item recycling and free customization, to simulation rooms that could use gathered data from creatures to "spawn" them in a arena to fight them or watch them fight eachother, and random machinery that could boost player's energy recharge, lower amount of gold lost or chance of enemy invading.

14. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

OK, my understanding is that there will be 5 decks to the space station.
    It isn't so much "unlocked" as you require the right NPCs to man it. Or the correct items to repair it.

Also, The Space station AND the homeworld are shared on a multiplayer server. So everyone will be required to visit them for all their NPC and crafting Needs.

This is something that I personally enjoy, it will ensure that the homeworld and space station are active with players, allowing the world to feel more "alive"

15. Irrelephant

Irrelephant Big Damn Hero

I like the idea of finding a NPC that knows how to use a mysterious part of the spaceship and sets up ship, kinda a pun

16. Dal

Dal Phantasmal Quasar

yes.

17. pwnload

pwnload Big Damn Hero

what does he mean by sandbox game?

18. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

19. pwnload

pwnload Big Damn Hero

20. Das-Ludovin

Das-Ludovin Void-Bound Voyager

I'd really enjoy customizable space stations that sort of dynamically improve over time. Would be nice if it requires a lot of resources to improve simple things, and require certain items to maintain the space station. That way, you really feel like the space station is your home, and planets are a way to get resources to make that home better rather than being able to just, make a planet and stick to it forever. There's a lot to this game I don't quite understand how they're doing, and I'm hoping that I don't hype it too much. That can be a very large mistake, and in fact, almost always is. The game will be fun regardless, and in the mean time, the premise of the game has given me an idea for a story, so... That's good enough :)

SuperKleb and Joxalot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.