1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback About the 1.3 Update... [Small Rant]

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Darkspinesupersonic8, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Darkspinesupersonic8

Darkspinesupersonic8 Pangalactic Porcupine

So I just got back on starbound to play and such with a friend, coming in from having last played on 1.2.

And wow. Um.. .. I think they screwed up star navigation. ... So much that some of the core features of Starbound I knew and loved from the old days has been replaced with something that has pros and cons but for me has mostly cons.

Be advised; I'm trying to be polite and respectful to anyone who may respond, so I will clarify; this is MY OPINION/PERSONAL GRIPES. and.. if any knowledgeable people are reading this; If you know of a mod that can REMOVE what I'm about to rant about and change it back.. or make it bearable, do let me know. I'd seriously appreciate it.

So.. we've got the updated Star Navigation Console. Okay.. It's cool that I can just zoom to any part of a solar system now. I managed to find that cool. But everything else to me is.. ... frankly.. crap?

I can't see what type planets are before I go to them anymore, I have to get my slow as hell ship to awkwardly zoom over to them to see first, and even when I get there, I don't arrive directly at the planet. I arrive in orbit around the planet grouping and have to waste like 5-15 seconds to actually orbit the planet even when on the map screen it's clearly only a few seconds away.

Planets are way too small at times on the map screen as well. I frankly liked the semi -view you had before where you saw the star system at an angle.

Star Travel has also been ruined for me. I had mods to increase the speed of which the ship warped because I hated having to wait before I got to each planet, or star system. Well guess what? That got screwed too. While a cool feature to some I have no doubt and if it were in better circumstances I could learn to love it, I now have to wait the exact length it takes my /slow/ ship to get there.

This IS where one pro kicks in., I like that now I can see what planet types a star system has. That /IS/ cool. But sadly useless once I get into the system because unless I've explored a planet it won't let me look at it until then. .. and that brings me to my next gripe, unfortunately.

The star map gui itself. I really question who made this GUI.. and why they thought it was a good idea. When is it ever a good idea to strip something that worked perfectly before down even MORE than it already was and make it more frustrating to use? While yes I know you can click empty space to close it or another star, now there is no dedicated space in your star map screen for planet information or star information to appear. It just appears floating there next to it and takes up half the screen space while it moves with the planet/star. and you can't interact with anything behind it so it's a nuisance. I remember when I had my own dedicated area to see the stats of a planet. The biome, the ores, the weather, the /planet size/ and even day length. I remember how I was totally fine with it. It never got in my way and I loved it for being so easy to utilize. ... not anymore.

and one last thing I've actually seen topics about. Mechs. Just.. .. I don't know why I need a mech to dock other ships or certain landmarks. That's just.. ... I have no words, not fond of what I read as a subtle 'use mechs' push.

I hope this was not TOO Cringey to read. Remember.. this is just my opinion. My own, very clearly personal gripes. I'm not looking to get fire for this, I'm looking for opinions. Other people's experiences. If you know of ways to help mod these features to be what they used to be in 1.2 and below or.. ways to make them better for me to deal with.. please share what you know. I'd appreciate it.

Wow looking this over it's a huge post. But yeah.. once again, I can't stress enough, this is not meant as a fiery rant of rage, destruction, and failed life choices. This is just.. my opinion of my first time using 1.3.

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  2. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

I agree with you on how our space ship orbits around the planet but not actually "orbitting" it. We have to take a few more seconds to get closer. I also agree with how mechs are used.
    I've already memorized how planets look like while in the Navi so that's just your personal problem.

3. Darkspinesupersonic8

Darkspinesupersonic8 Pangalactic Porcupine

Indeed it is, I made that very clear that this is all my opinion. But yeah.. the palnet orbiting thing is just non efficient.. and the focus on mechs for half of everything now is incredibly annoying.

4. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

I agree with the GUI and the "use mechs" shove.

Darkspinesupersonic8 likes this.