About gaming desktops...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corraidhín, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

So my Laptop is pretty much on the cusp of both being a fossil and a corpse (its been shutting down randomly) so I have been considering building my own desktop, something to last me around 5 years or so... since I have no experience whatsoever about building computers (I dont even know the basics) I was wondering if the more acknowledged, tech savvy among the forum would deign themselves to impart some wisdom on the matter. I have already talked with some friends about what I need and such, these were some of my options;

(note the options are meant to fit into a Corsair Air 540 Mid-Case)

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte GA Z170X-Gaming 7

Heatsink:

Cooler Master V8 GTS - High Performance CPU Cooler with Horizontal Vapor Chamber and 8 Heatpipes

Processor:
    Intel ore i7 6700K 4.00HZ Unlocked Quadcore Skylake Processor

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming
    (or) Titan X

RAM:
    HyperX FURY 16gb 8Gbx2

PSU:
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850w

I havent gotten to check other parts required for building the desktop, I am aiming to build something that will allow me to work on high-poly 3d modelling, drawing and animation, as well as running games without locking up my computer (hello Starbound)

Also, wondering... how does one determine compatibility? I was told to be extra careful about what fits what and such. As well as determinig whether I need DDR3 or DDR4, also... 16GB Ram or 32? I am not a streamer, neither plan to do any sort of live-content, so I dont know how much should be the best ammount of Ram I need. Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated!Thanks in advance c:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  2. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I checked this over and these are all good, high-end options. And they all go together well. A computer like this could potentially last more than 5 years even. You weakest point (out of this list of parts) is the MOBO. Whilst it's good enough to get the job done it's not top of the line and peak performance. Judging from these parts it seems you have a high budget; if you do have the funds go for a better z170 board. My other concern with your MOBO is the clearance it'll have with your heatsink. From what I can tell it should be okay but it's always something to pay close attention to.

Both of those GPUs are top of the line. The biggest difference is price. In terms of gaming, they're not that different. A major draw back of the Titan X is the number of ports. You'd be severely limiting yourself. The 1070 is also faster than the Titan X. Some other things to consider, the 1070 uses less power and is much cheaper. If you have the funds, by all means go for the Titan X. Just know you're not getting that much improvement over the 1070 (or 1080 if you want to go a step up from the 1070 still).

The only item you're really missing is the PSU. With everything you have listed here I'd go for like 1000 watt. It's never a bad thing to have more power than you'll need. You certainly don't want to have too little power so it's always good to guess high on how much you'll actually need and use.

Compatibility has to do with dimensions and sockets and all that good stuff. For instance, that MOBO is an LGA 1151 socket. This means you need a 1151 pin CPU (which you have listed). Another thing is the RAM pins. Some are 240 or 288. This particular MOBO is 288 pin so you have to get 288 pin RAM. And speaking of RAM, even though the difference between DDR3 and DDR4 is marginal there's no reason not to go for the DDR4. It's getting cheap and is overall better. When it comes to RAM a good general rule is that quantity > quality. So the amount of RAM you have is more important than type. Like I said, there's no reason not to go for DDR4 since you have a DDR4 MOBO. In terms of how much you need exactly, it never hurts to have more RAM. So I'd go for 32GBs.

Hope this helps! (;

Corraidhín likes this.
  3. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

@Pangaea that is inmense help indeed, much appreciated! also that really, REALLY helps me understand some things I could never get someone to explain. Do you have any suggestions for a better Z170? other options I was suggested were MSi ASUS z170A M7 and GigaByte Z170X-UD5

PSU:
    Corsair SF Series, SF450, SFX Form Factor, 450 Watt (450W), Fully Modular Power Supply

4. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Okay so I checked out both those MOBOs. I can't really say much about the MSI one because I've never used MSI so I don't have any direct experience. I've only ever used Asus and Gigabyte and I've never had trouble with them. The MSI seems like a solid board though and fits with your other components. The only thing I would be concerned about it the clearance for that heatsink. It's a pretty big heatsink and I would hate for you to get everything only to find it won't fit together right. The Gigabyte one is another good board. I couldn't find any information about its compatibility with the Cooler Master V8 GTS so that's definitely something to think about. Lastly, I guess I can recommend the MOBO I use which is the Gigabyte GA Z170X-Gaming 7. It's a pretty high end board that fits with your other components. Although it's supposed to be compatible with the heatsink I would still be careful about how you fit it in. Goes for any MOBO really.

Also, I don't know why but for some reason I assumed you already have storage. Maybe because you didn't mention it? It should be pretty obvious but you'll want a good SSD for your OS. There really isn't any need to keep games (unless they're really intensive with load times) or anything on the SSD beyond things you use regularly. Large SSDs can be pretty expensive so just get a good HDD for storing everything else (like music, games, projects, etc).

EDIT: Somehow missed the PSU. Fully modular is the way to go but that wattage won't do. The 1070 needs at least 500w and the Titan X needs at least 600w. And that's just for the GPU. You'll still need some power to run everything else with confidence. That's why I said to guess over what you're going to need.

Corraidhín likes this.
  5. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Hmm... I checked some options, I found:

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 1000W, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode
    and
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850w

as for HDD or SSD, I havent really put much thought into... leaving it for last, as I probably wont even use that much storage. All my games, models and projects put together I have about 150gb used out of 450gb, so ill just go with perhaps... 10TB storage? or maybe just 1.

Edit: I have been a bit stubborn with that heatsink, mostly because where I live can get dangerously hot (for people) on summer, so I figured I needed the best heatsink available, without resorting to something ludicrous, but I will consider a smaller choice, just to be sure.

6. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

That's the kind of power supply that will last you a while.

If you're only using 150GBs then you can definitely fit that all on a good SSD.

I can understand wanting a good heatsink, especially if you're in a hot area. But you also have to have room for your RAM and such once the heatsink is in place. Having good airflow through the case will also help. So maybe look into getting some more fans for your case too.

Corraidhín likes this.
  7. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

@Pangaea Ok, smaller heatsink, and more fans... everything else is OK! thank you very much, really appreciate your help c:

8. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Well I didn't necessarily mean you have to get a different heatsink. Just to make sure you'll be able to have clearances. Like making sure you get short enough RAM to fit underneath, making sure it doesn't obstruct any plugs, etc.

9. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Ahh I see I see, I found a smaller one, still pretty good, but not as humongous. Its Cryrig H5. That size should give me enought room for everything else!

10. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

That's a good heatsink and the HyperX Fury RAM should fit under it. So I'd say go for it. (;

Corraidhín likes this.
  11. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Just waiting for the parts now! thanks a bunch boyo!