1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

A suggestion concerning previous inhabitants.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Swinburn, Apr 10, 2012.

?

Do you like the basis of the idea?

1. Yes

93.8%
  2. No

6.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swinburn

Swinburn Phantasmal Quasar

I think it would be a good idea to have some lore surrounding a fallen race that once populated certain planets, perhaps a former race of humans or the lizard people that are depicted already.
    This opens up the possibilities of some tombs, treasure, exploration and also fun! A side-quest even, if you will.

I think it would flow with the game because it seems strange that our race (the players race) is the only race to have yet discovered the secrets of space travel.
    It would also flow because it is what happens in real ecosystems, species die out and are fossilized.
    As in earth's history there are wars, there could easily have been a war between two species that resulted in the death of one.

DeVoid and Kjkillercom like this.
  2. ockpii

ockpii The Reel McCoy

I think this is a good idea. It opens the gates for a lot of story elements, as well as side-quests. This could also be allied to the idea I had that would be Planets of the Past - planets that belong in a different era.

~ockpii

3. Swinburn

Thanks, also if you are the real ockpii, I was watching yout YT videos earlier :D

4. ockpii

ockpii The Reel McCoy

Is there a 'fake ockpii''? xD Yes, it is I, Leclerc... if anyone gets that reference, major :love:
    Yeah, I am it. Also, subscribe, thanQ :3

~ockpii

5. AyeAye13

AyeAye13 Cosmic Narwhal

Maybe, in one such temple, you could fall into a wormhole which leads to the past, and then you could find out more about them, when they thrived?

Maybe they were killed by the unknown enemy that killed off your home planet?

Or, the enemy used their ancient technology to crush your world to dust, and you discover this, and go to the temples to find out how to stop them/it using it again?

6. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

I thought of something like this, except it was more like people could explore old ruins that would be on certain planets, with dangerous if not deadly things inside.

7. There was another thread having to do with archaeology within the game. Exploring fallen civilizations would seriously be awesome.

I also suggested in that thread that there could be museums containing what we've discovered.

8. Vapor Horologium Corpus

Vapor Horologium Corpus Weight of the Sky

i think it would be cool to have like a planet where a super advanced race can to bury their dead or something or like destroyed buildings of a civilization long since forgotten

9. DeVoid

DeVoid Void-Bound Voyager

Very good idea, I dig it much. There could be a 1/50 chance or so that a certain civilization lived on any given planet (or less, like a 1/75 or 1/100)? I like the idea of exploring tombs (space-lizard-zombies!!), maybe they could have specialized, ancient armor or weapons with forgotten technology? If they did that, the devs could find inspriationn in what Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (not the mmorpg :down:) did with the Sith Lords' tombs. Maybe fancy lightsabers?? :giggle:

10. Valkoor Moonblood

Valkoor Moonblood Existential Complex

I'd definitely be down with exploring old ruins. *Cue Inidana Jones music* Maybe find ancient items that you can restore and use?

11. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

This should also be in the suggestion! This would be a really awesome idea. Sort of having an awesome story withing the story. A really awesome side quest.

12. Ryou Takeshi

Ryou Takeshi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was actually thinking that was a sure implement in any sort of space game, but I guess it never hurts to mention it nonetheless. Yeah, this is a total dig right there, nothing is more fascinating than learning about the past of another race.

13. Swinburn

I noticed that a few mintutes after I posted :L My mistake.
    Glad for the positive feedback though guys!

14. Swinburn

I like this idea a lot, it has potential.
    It could be that the ancient items are really just normal items that are damaged, but upon restoration are a little more powerful than their normal counterparts...

15. Swinburn

Yeah that is the kind of thing I was thinking too, they could be linked in that they are all from the same race or something for the lore aspect.

16. Swinburn

Those are some good ideas!
    They could be in the lore somehow I'm sure, although I do not think that they could be the ones that destroyed your planet since they are like extinct :p The idea they were killed by the same though is good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.