A question about genders.

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Blackleaf, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mokunen

Mokunen Void-Bound Voyager

Doesn't surprise me now that I look at your signature... but please tell me that grammatical mistake wasn't intentional. I'm this close to sig'ing it.

2. Roxie Stables

Roxie Stables Parsec Taste Tester

Holy hell how did I miss that mistake
    Thank you for pointing out that,
    Mistake revised.

3. If these species are going to evolve so far as being humanoid, I don't see why they wouldn't also have boobs. And this is kind of awry from the subject, but even though our florans are unisex, don't be mistaken. There are many boolean-gender species of plants.

4. Spacedino

Spacedino Ketchup Robot

Because program code. The end.

5. Anris

Anris Phantasmal Quasar

What the hell do you think this is? Mass effect?:rofl:

Jonesy likes this.
  6. Anris

Anris Phantasmal Quasar

I'd like my robots to look terminator'ish with extra awesomeness,please.SO I CAN CRUSH THE PUNY FLESHLINGS WHILE LOOKING GOOD.:)

Epicface likes this.
  7. The Demon of Borders

The Demon of Borders King Homestuck 4.13

From what we know, the best number of each limb is 2 for simplicity and effectiveness, and that heads should be placed high up for better vision. So most sentient races will look "slightly" human. As for genders, well I have no clue. Udders, maybe?

Epicface likes this.
  8. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

:p
    I appreciate him :lod:

9. Sykes

Sykes Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

As humans, we recognize, appreciate, and can relate to humanoid creatures. Adding realistic features to the bodies, even if they aren't human, allows us humans to relate with the being. Adding things like fingers, limbs, and yes, even breasts, to creatures like Avians, gives them a humanoid look and they look far more appealing and natural to us humans.

EDIT: Also, most people just like boobs.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  10. Dr scoobie

Dr scoobie Giant Laser Beams

its simple, breasts sell things.
    whether it be chicken breasts or deodrant adds

for example: some people buy chicken nuggets,
    but everyone buys chicken breasts.

and robots are asexual.
    two lumps on the front doesnt change that.

Blackleaf likes this.
  11. Shippo

Shippo Existential Complex

Well, there is one simple way to solve this, kinda. Maybe some way to pick yes/no for breasts in character customization. Kinda like in Saints Row, but not nearly so detailed like that. :eek:

12. But that's no less complicated then choosing between a pink and a blue flower...

13. Shippo

But it lets you be a female of any race with or without the apparent breasts. Just not as complicated as Saints Row, where you actually set their size & stuff... that seems like it would be a bit much for SB.

14. Noc

Noc Guest

I don't think there's always "actual" genders. (Like, with mating and stuff)

But with a game like Starbound more aesthetic really can't hurt.

15. Mokunen

Mokunen Void-Bound Voyager

I vote for a third gender option for the character generator! It will be called "Whatever", and it will look like... uh... I dunno, whatever.
    There, I dropped the bomb. Now people will begin asking for a middle gender. Totally my fault.

I think zooey's point was that, if breasts are the only difference between the "blue flower - pink flower" Floran thing, them being unisex, you're effectively choosing whether they'll have breasts or not rather than a gender.

The problem here is that the devs used "unisex", perhaps because it sounded more agreeable than "hermaphrodite" which is what many actual plants are. I think there's a difference between those terms: unisex is gender-irrelevant, while hermaphrodite is ambi-gendered.
    I think Florans just got awkward... or cooler, YMMV. This thread was bound to get awkward anyway.

16. Shippo

Yes, but I mean for every race, just as a character customization option. I'm not specifying Florans.
    It's in other games.

17. I think you're right about hermaphrodite being a more biologically correct term for the Florans. But it's easy to see why they'd call them unisex, instead.

18. That would be cool, and more pc (which is a good thing), but super hard to implement, non-binary gender stuff being rather...spectrum-ish.
    Yes. The OP was about florans and robits, I think, so I was responding in kind.
    Yes there are better words for what 'hermaphrodite' indicates.

Epicface likes this.
  19. thoth

thoth Aquatic Astronaut

IRC quote:

Q: I'm curious what the "Blue flower" and "Red flower" actually means, if they have no genders?

A:(rho) That was strictly a mechanical limitation - I originally wanted them to just have the "male" body type. It seemed like a great idea at first but it posed a lot of gameplay questions that couldn't neatly be solved, so we just went ahead and gave them both types while keeping the lore thing because it was interesting.

that's why there have to be genders.

20. Shooting Star

Shooting Star Existential Complex

as a biology geek I have to say OBJECTION!

Shame on you all certainly not all of the plants are unisex! Some plant will always be "male" or "female" or there is a period they are one of the two but they are definatly not all unisex!

This way they can spread their gen with others but themselves

EDIT: I see someone noticed that before making my comment useless and it makes me an idiot, eep! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.