Modding Discussion A place to discuss map editing and other related stuff

Discussion in 'Mods' started by QuantumConcious, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

So, you can have a warp point listed in the Map Properties which will warp you when you walk on the tile(s) specified in game OR you can have one that's a tile property (on the buildings layer) that will warp you when you right-click on it in game.

BoffoBoy likes this.
    • dk2020

dk2020 Space Penguin Leader

You can't really add a "new map" to the game without using the api. There's simply no way for the game to know about the new map. modding with xnb alone will not allow you to add new maps. There is simply no way to tell the game that the new map is part of the game's "Location" . If you want to "add new" maps, you will need to use smapi to add it to the game's location "list" if that is currently possible. May have to piggy back the new serializeable mod or wait till smapi has it by default.

---
      On the progress of my beach effort. I learn that due to the fact the exe has hardcode stuff for the fixing of the broken bridge I had to manipulate my new tilesheet to be at the bottom or else the game would crash when it tried to access the repaired bridge. It attempts to use something on a specific tilesheet by index and would result in out of range error when i simply added a new tilesheet. I now see the pain of adding tilesheets. Love all the hard-code weirdness.

• SooperPenguinz

SooperPenguinz Void-Bound Voyager

Good to know, thanks!

• Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

You can make "new" areas on maps though, by enlarging an existing map and putting the tiles for your new area in a space off screen of the original area.

• BoffoBoy

BoffoBoy Existential Complex

Just to add to what Trixie said, if you enlarge a map, always push the existing map to the NW corner. The map starts 0,0 in the Top Left corner and if you upset that, existing content on map will break in many obvious (and possibly unknown) ways.

Oh and DK2020, always put a z in front of the custom layer name to auto force it to the end of the list. Bad things happen on pretty much all maps as far as I know if entirely new tilesheets are added to a map.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
              Superior_s likes this.
            • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Adding new locations is quite easy actually, my current AdvancedLocationLoader mod does this easily, and as soon as its out of beta, you should hopefully never have to touch the Content directory for maps or tilesheets ever again :p
              (Map makers who are interested in joining the beta are welcome though, the more beta-testers I have, the sooner I can be certain its safe to release!)

• BoffoBoy

I can confirm Cake Lord's ALL works fine, as I just took my v4 small version which just changing the tilesheet name and endless warps. The jason was straight forward since it was built around my mod in the first place.

Really super nice work Entoarox.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

To make that comment a bit clearer, I used the SMAPI version of BusStopStorage (That I still had the files for in my dev environment) to make sure ALL was free of obvious bugs before I opened it up for beta testing.
                  I left it in the beta release as a example of how ALL is used for the map makers testing it for me :)

• BoffoBoy

off to convert the standard version now, I can play with replacing the farm map via ALL after that.

• BoffoBoy

Were you referring to adding space to the farm house or something non farmhouse related? I ask because ever since first looking at tIDE with my green house games, I've been adding amazing amounts of map space to all manner of maps - just not farm house.

I place the farm house in that special category I deem 'den of vipers, not safe to touch with a ten foot pole, ways nature says do not touch (and I picture that farside comic with the guy in and alley wearing an overcoat holding a bazooka looking gun with shoe on his head, and of course RUUUUUUUUUN AWAAAAAAAAAAAY!'

You were always mad to try and build a mod around that pit, profound respect!

• taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

idk if someone could do this, or cake guy would your mod be good at doing this, but I want:
                        • @Ankou 's birdcage, is there a way to animate the bird inside the cage (to replace crib in farmhouse_tiles) [ex: not sure how they do it, but like the spinning weather vane on the carpenter's house -- seems as though it has different tiles for each movement),
                        • replace the toddlers' beds (maybe convert them to little dog lofty/couch things, however, I still want to make a doghouse for outside farm map trololol)

But not have to change the bed's in towninterrior (because it effects like six npc beds?)
                        And not have to change quantum's map files that I'm using?

So I basically want to use two external stylesheets specifically to change three things (I actually would like to see if the other dog bed could be a different color)

• Also would like it if someone could make me a better looking version of Harvey's house without removing his presence completely.

Ooohgoddd I hope multiplayer marriage just keeps that shit empty. My husband doesn't do any decorating. (i'd bitch too much)

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

That uses what is known as a animated tile, ALL is capable of editing in animated tiles, I've just not documented it because static tiles are already a massive pain to work with, and animated tiles are another layer on top of that.
                          Luckily, ALL abstracts most of the difference behind the tile types, so if you feel you know how static tiles in ALL are handled, I'm more then willing to explain how animated ones work.

• BoffoBoy

Animation is easy, you just go to tile animation and tell it what frame order, you need multiple copies of the tile changing each showing incremental change amd can set the delay up to a second iirc

• taintedwheat

hmm, sure its a tedious process right? luckily I can just ask for a sprite sheet/or unpack an of the birds I want and put one /two in there? maybe one to just walk on the top of the crib somehowarakrej;awklgtj;awe

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

That would require the whole map to be replaced though, and you shouldnt do that if tile edits are enough (Replacing maps means that its incompatible with anything else that touches that same map, although I am planning to make it less incompatible in ALL 1.1, as its a lot of code to do so.)

• taintedwheat

dude i'm high and working on my anthropology research report (gonna talk about stardew, youguys, mods --- omg) but i just figured out that ALL was an acronym for your mod sorry -___--;;

when you referring to me it was like, ALL is able to do it. And l'm yeah! Cool beans, that seems easy enough if everyone can do it! Right on!

LOL EDIT:
                                  ENTITLED:

Research report on Technology and Globalization:

The Digital Farm Life: Tilling Friendships and New Ideas through an Indie Computer Game

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

wahahahaha, ok, that goes on my funnies of the day list :p

Its not much more difficult to have a animated tile with ALL then it is to have a static tile, so if you can do that then a animated tile shouldnt be much more work to learn how to add. (To keep it short, it uses a list of tileIndexes instead of a single one and requires a animation delay, but that is it really)

• taintedwheat

Oh okay and I guess that code is easy to find and put in, just like you said, it hasn't been implemented yet. Coo-coo. Could the animation speed be just the same as it was intended for the npc/baby/toddler-bird sprite?

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

It is implemented, just not documented, its a bit more advanced and I didnt want to overload my beta testers with it :rofl:

taintedwheat likes this.
                                        • taintedwheat

Oh xDDD;; well that will be a thing to do as a step after of course ;)

Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.