A grappling hook

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Rex, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rex

Rex Phantasmal Quasar

Did anyone here ever play Metroid Prime? The you will surely know this one:
    [​IMG]

This is what I want in the game. It will be like a space tarzan swinging around :D

GravityCat9, Aer_, Noonu and 2 others like this.
  2. Shadesworth

Shadesworth Subatomic Cosmonaut

3. Rex

Rex Phantasmal Quasar

Ok, can any admin close/delete this thread?

4. Shadesworth

i dont really think there's a need for that. It just shows that other ppl want the same thing lol.

5. Rex

Rex Phantasmal Quasar

ah ok, but still. If there is already one, why have another one?

6. Shadesworth

well put...

7. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

I don't think a grapple hook would be a meaning full addition here.
    we are gonna have jetpacks and short range teleportation.
    What need would be have for a G.Hook?

In Terraria, it was low tech, a G.hook was a much more acceptable peice of hardware.
    But with interstellar travel, a G.hook kinda feels like bringing a B.B gun to a lazer minigun fight.

8. Tomi Mr.Bone

Tomi Mr.Bone Star Wrangler

I think it would be awesome...But not as a grappling hook,much more like Dr.Octopus's robotic arms(from spider man)!
    And it would work similar to grappling hook!

9. Ner

Ner Subatomic Cosmonaut

True. Although, those jetpacks and short-range teleporters may not be available from the start. A simple grappling/laser hook could be your first climbing equipment before you have access to better resources and a better R&D team.

10. Pinkie Pie

Pinkie Pie Cosmic Narwhal

It doesn't have to be useful, grappling hooks are fun to use. Games are all about having fun, no? [​IMG]

11. Shadesworth

there's also the speed factor. Nobody knows how fast the jetpacks are going to be . _.

12. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

You know what would be a cool adition to the grappling hooks/beams? If you use it on a Medium to small mob you make a "Come on here" antic pulling the mob to you, contrary effect if you happen to hit a big or "heavy" mob with the hook.

Pretty good if you plan to main melee weapons and need to get rid of a flying enemy :p

§hifter and Mr. Mistah like this.
  13. djdeathrow

djdeathrow Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't know if it would be able to grab a flying enemy with, but it will need the terraria tip: Get Over Here !

14. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

-Throw hookshot
    -*Grabs the Wing*
    -FUS RO DAH!!! COME ON HERE!!!
    -*Rips of the wing*
    -???
    -Profit!

15. Nathan

Nathan Big Damn Hero

I just read this, this is a really cool idea, I just posted something similar but on a bigger scale, for group lifts or vehicles.

Check it out, I call it "The Spelunker"

Great idea nevertheless dude, keep it up :D

16. Pray_for_Snow

Pray_for_Snow Void-Bound Voyager

Sounds mandatory to me, although it could be made more science-y, like a tractor/repeller beam.

17. RpgxGamer

RpgxGamer Aquatic Astronaut

Personally i think a grappling hook would fit nicely, especially if the the hook itself was an energy spike and the cord an energy beam. also it could be used as a pulling weapon
    to grab enemy's from a far.

18. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves Starship Captain

Well a grappling hook such as the one in Terraria would actually seem a bit primitive in the futuristic universe of Starbound. But anything which has the same uses could be made in a more high-tech way, such as the one suggested here, so yes, I support this.

19. T-Bone Biggins

T-Bone Biggins Phantasmal Quasar

There could be a use. Jetpacks would be hard to stabilize for precise shots, say if you want to hang off a cliff to be safe from melee attacks from animals but still want to be able to shoot down. You grapple to the cliff, use your feet to stabilize yourself while you are hanging, and fire freely.

Also a jetpack would have fuel or capacitor limits. The grappling hook would be a good backup say if you ran out of juice over a ravine. Grab the nearest rock and make your way back up or wait for the suit the recharge.

Luci likes this.
  20. mramazerful

mramazerful Starship Captain

WHat if you could adjust the length of it and swing with, even just for lolz?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.