1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

A Generated Monster Every Friday!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheMurumasa, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

TheMuramasa, the OP, was last seen Tuesday...but is really behind in updating this. SMH. Oh well, maybe he's busy making his videos instead.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  2. [​IMG]

He's toothy. :D

NabuK, oannablue, Hugt and 13 others like this.
  3. Veran

Veran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

jesus, that tail :rofl: its like "oh god what am i attatched to? what horrible deeds in past life did i commit in order to deserve this?!" the mouth kinda look like darth vader's mask. i like it :3

Deity, WoxandWarf and Axe Garian like this.
  4. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

I dub thee the Basilope.

From "Basilisk" (a ferocious reptilian creature with a stare so terrifying it could petrify men) and "Jackalope" (an equally-ferocious rabbity cryptid with a killer bite, antlers, and a foul disposition - so much so that it's taxonomical classifcation is lepus temperamentalis).

Axe Garian, mollygos and WoxandWarf like this.
  5. MasacruAlex

MasacruAlex Phantasmal Quasar

Q.,,.Q those monsters are so beautiudfl!

6. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

Uhh... hmm, I'm having trouble deciding which way it faces... o_O

Evangelion likes this.
  7. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

These monsters are impressive I must say.

8. Ravenous Space Rat

Ravenous Space Rat Cosmic Narwhal

Does it have flippers?
    Hate to go fishing and catch that.
    I never go fishing....

Vladimir 3.22 and WoxandWarf like this.
  9. The way the antlers are placed where its eyes are supposed to be kinda scares me.:wtf:

10. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

My hope is that they're not just showing the good ones, and then otherwise the game ends up being saturated with poorly generated, dumb looking things. I really hope not.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  11. Roxie Stables

Roxie Stables Parsec Taste Tester

I'm pretty sure they just have a random monster created then post whatever it is, no matter what it is.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  12. Shanjaisolen

Shanjaisolen Pangalactic Porcupine

I also hope this. Though I don't know how would a monster look 'dumb'. I'd say it would look funny :rofl:

Shippo and WoxandWarf like this.
  13. I wonder if it'll be able to see backwards, seeing it's "backwards eye" thing on the tail.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  14. Dr Fushba

Dr Fushba Cosmic Narwhal

I immediately thought of this caterpillar
    [​IMG]
    Maybe it has a fake face to deter predators?

15. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

:eek: Holy shiz... that thing is horrifying. See you in my nightmares, terrifying caterpillar....

onerb2, Schnell, Tankeroo and 3 others like this.
  16. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

:rofl:

This looks like a good inspiration for a Starbound Monster... especially if it's super-sized to Detail that gruesome Head & Face properly... :whistle:

Now that I think of it, it would still be awesome to get to see at least Procedurally Generated Boss... at least 1? :halo:

Edit: Oops, forgot to Snip the Pic first time... fixed now. :up:

nababoo likes this.
  17. How..how can you tell this? It's so pwetty!:DD:love:
    (Yes I'm a crazy bug-lover. Don't judge me.)

Mopy and WoxandWarf like this.
  18. Roxie Stables

Roxie Stables Parsec Taste Tester

I don't know about you but I would want it.

Also, I'm going to be that person that points out the page number.

Vladimir 3.22 and WoxandWarf like this.
  19. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

Y'know, I can't help but think that the Basilope, despite its ungainly appearance, is rather well-adapted. That eye on the end of the tail, if it's an actual eye and not a decoration, would provide it with a nearly 360-degree speherical field of view, and it can lift its vision higher to see more terrain, without actually raising its body - kinda like a periscope. This is fantastic to locate prey while keeping the rest of your body concealed.

IMO it's obviously quite predatory, owing to that very frontal-oriented toothy jaw. I could see the Basilope hunting very similarly to the terrestrial Komodo dragon or other monitor lizards. It'd likely move slowly when at rest to conserve energy, followed by breaking into a headlong run when pursuing prey in order to deliver vicious bites.

As for the antlers, I'm a bit less certain as to their function. They could possibly help camouflage the creature amongs scrubland (assuming the world has blue grass), but I'd imagine they're likely more used for courtship battles.

nababoo likes this.
  20. Necrovore

Necrovore Pangalactic Porcupine

Eh, it didn't look toothy to me, it reminds me more of a filter type mouth found on some aquatic creatures to collect the small creatures in sea water. The 'antlers' would be a simple sensory organ for feeling currents from general water flow and various creatures swimming nearby. The eye on the end would simply be on the lookout for larger predators. We have stranger looking creatures then this in real life anyway :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.