1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed A few questions that make me confused

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Mister Green, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Green

Mister Green Phantasmal Quasar

Hey there people!

So I preordered Starbound yesterday, a silver tier. When the payment was complete I got a humblebundle link, and I claimed the page with a newly made account that I made on there. On the claimed page is a grey box with a key inside it, is that the beta key, the steam key, or the full version of starbound key? I'm pretty confused on that part.

Also, after preordering I won another preorder, a Pixel tier. The link that Pedguin gave me was a gift page, is it safe to fill in my own email even if I want to give this to a friend or something?

Thanks alot!

2. Bamseper

Bamseper Ketchup Robot

You click the grey key and then you get your soundtrack download. I don't think I understand the rest of your question, I'm sorry.

MessiahDJ likes this.
  3. It's just your Humble Pre-Order Key / Reference. Steam Keys will be distributed when the time for that arrives.

About the Gift page, you should give give the Gift link to your friend and he claims it or it will be for your email, not his. Still not a big issue if you share the Page for he claim or input your friend email in the gift itself.

Don't you worry about it, when the BETA Launch they will contact by Email for you be able to download the game!

Bamseper and MessiahDJ like this.
  4. Mister Green

My fault there, I'm pretty bad at explaining multiple problems at once, it's chaos lol.
    So yeah, that grey key box, is that the beta key or will that be the key to access the final version of Starbound? And will the steam key which we will receive later on, be the same as the one for non steam version?

5. Bamseper

Bamseper Ketchup Robot

Sorry, I was wrong. The grey box is a link to your badge :) Hope that helps just a little.

6. Steam Keys will be not the same, they will generate it and send by email for Sure when the time for that arrives!

Far I know there isn't needed a Key for the non-steam version of the game ^^

7. Mister Green

So if that is a link to the badge, what is the actual key? :p
    + If we receive both a Steam key and a non-Steam key, isn't there going to be any misuse of them? Like say, me keeping the steam key and giving the non-steam key to someone else?

8. Bamseper

Bamseper Ketchup Robot

As Bacon said, you will get it by mail when they are made :)

9. It isn't. I just said in my Post when they send you the Steam Key, it's the Steam Key.

BUT there is a non-steam version of the game, it's know you will create an account in Starbound servers for Auth, still no more info than that. But I doubt there is an Key for the non-steam version, the email you provided in Pre-order will likely be contacted for download the full game and/or create the Login Account.

Bamseper likes this.
  10. Mister Green

Ok alright guys, thanks a lot! <3

Bamseper likes this.
  11. Bamseper

Bamseper Ketchup Robot

No problem, anytime.

12. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

The link to the badge is the key to your redeem page. We haven't decided on a good way to key up the game. Because the key isn't going to be required to play the game, the key is going to be your RSA key for server authentication, for servers that opt to do strong authentication.

Steam has keys, because Steam likes keys. Depending on how we work it, you'll probably receive an additional RSA key from steam.

This means that yes, you may wind up technically having two working copies of the game. And there's nothing technically preventing you from regifting your extra key. However, we would rather you didn't. Because we're a small company and every little bit helps. But we're not going to go gestapo on you or get sanctimonious about it.

Bamseper likes this.
  13. Mister Green

I didn't understand the red part haha. So the key in the grey box is not going to be used to access the game? Will it be forum accounts or something? I'm pretty 'autistic' with stuff like this, and I like things well explained, paranoia and being overall much too scared and stuff. Sorry for all the problems.

And don't worry, I will not regift one of the two versions, double starbound for meeeeeee! (Quadruple actually now, with the version i won :p)

14. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

The sole thing that key is used for is for the redeem page. It's the end part of this URL: http://playstarbound.com/redeem/XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX

The red part is technical information on how the actual key will be used, don't worry too terribly if you don't understand it.

15. Mister Green

Alright thanks alot everyone here! Things have been made alot clearer because of all of you!
    One final question, how will we get authenticated then? If it's not by a key on the non steam version?

Bamseper likes this.
  16. I believe for example even with Steam KEYs... There should be in the first time you open the game, it request you to Input an game-key (not steam), the game-key will be Master, every copy, even steam, will give you that Key to Create your account that is linked to a master server.

After that your game copy is active, and you wont need any DRM for that and both steam and non-steam version will be linked to the same account. ^^
    Far I know that's possible and may not end up with everybody sharing or even Selling Steam Keys for Starbound. ;)

If you could pass such suggestion for who is working on such areas.... ^^

17. Mister Green

That would be the best in my opinion. And exactly, would reduce 'ghost' copies a lot I think.

18. love doctor

love doctor Cosmic Narwhal

you could use your email but you would then have to manage your friends account well you would get all the notification emails like if your friend lost there humble link the key resnder would direct it to you

humble runs on the honor system they hope you wont regift your steam key because technically you can there nothing stopping you its just recommened that you dont because in short it hurts the game devs

MessiahDJ likes this.
  19. Mister Green

Ok so that's cleared up aswell now! Awesome :) thank you all peoplez :love:
    Too bad I don't have any friends to gift it too, haha. :badpokerface:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.