Dev Blog 9th May - Bless This Spess

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 9, 2017.

1. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I'm pretty sure it'd be relatively easy to make shipworlds modular, you'd just need to make sure that you didn't override the preexisting parts of the ship. Just like the T9 ship upgrade mod, it's possible to add an extra tier to ships. Just add the ninth tier, and have it add doors at the back and top of your ship where you can add modular segments. Although I'd for one insist that you have to add a life support system every couple of modules or something (or maybe switch out the "oxygen everywhere inside your ship" system for a flood-fill based one that, while providing life support to every area on your default, base ship, will fill only a certain part of the modules and require you to place life support systems in the right parts of the modules so they can flood-fill the rest of your ship with oxygen). And perhaps require you to add extra FTL Drive systems to deal with the extra weight.

2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

@M_Sipher : While I didn't elaborate as much as you did in my post, I feel that those are even more reasons why we should be patient with this, get the Space Stations out, and then spend some time experimenting, etc to see if this could be applied to ships without messy forced wipes or anything ridiculous like that.

We don't want an update that should only take a month or two longer end up taking 3-4 months longer, do we? I don't.

While I'm patient perhaps even to a fault compared to some other people here, I would rather we not bite of so much that we end up tacking on multiple months trying to include too much in an update, and I'd rather we play with this new system a bit, and perfect it, before adding it everywhere in the game.

It's a cool and neat system, and yes, there's Base-in-a-Box (replying to the other person who quoted me now), but it doesn't quite function like this, it isn't done in real-time (like, you tell the game exactly what to build from a list of choices), and not quite the same way. Similar idea, but not quite the same in execution. Still though, it seems possible. In fact, as far as mining out areas, you can do a /admin command and there's something like /spawndungeon or /placedungeon command that lets you place a dungeon anywhere you want. If there are blocks in the way, the game will happily remove them for you.

3. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Well, having used /spawndungeon or whateveritwas to place the prison I used as a starter for my lil compound... it's not exactly something you can place with precision, so just heads-up for anyone wanting to try it.

But I've long thought that it'd be a nice vanilla feature to have some pre-fab constructs you can precisely place at the cost of just the tiles used within. Nothing huge, but a little something for those not so versed in block-by-block construction.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  4. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

W-Wait... Will we be able to see stations looking at the sky while on planets like we see other planets...?!

Black Knight satellite, deploy! :slowpoke:

DragonsForce likes this.
  5. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@M_Sipher: Player file stores crew, ship tier, capabilities, and capacities, so those things can survive a ship replacement. I can't recall where navcomp bookmarks are stored, but it's not the shipworld.

6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Well, that's all good to know. Of course, there's still plenty of other considerations before they could implement a modular ship deal, but at least that's some stuff that should easily transfer.

7. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

The Squid likes this.
  8. Dragon_Tom005

Dragon_Tom005 Existential Complex

I noticed the new door. will there be a hatch version of it too?

9. Pohany

Pohany Parsec Taste Tester

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Though I'd have to say that interacting with a hatch would be mildly annoying. Would have to use platforms just to get up to the hatch to interact with it, but ah well.

Still, I like the idea, and can't wait to see it in-game!

11. Dragon_Tom005

Dragon_Tom005 Existential Complex

Well you never know. so far, i don't recall a vanilla outpost airlock hatch or racial ship hatches... those would be nice too. :pwease:

12. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I still think that image is one of the best arguments against the idea that these stations won't be made out of blocks. I mean, look at it, its outside is half made of the space station material we've seen in our modular space stations, half normal blocks, and inside of some of the space station material are normal blocks as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure we do have vanilla spaceship hatches.

Pohany likes this.
  13. Pohany

Pohany Parsec Taste Tester

\True
    Must be combined together.

14. DJ_Skullcrshr___

DJ_Skullcrshr___ Void-Bound Voyager

I used to be happy at the thought of Starbound coming to xbox one but what about the Switch? I feel with the current reviews of the switch it would complement starbound more then xbox.

15. NuclearSlayer52

NuclearSlayer52 Phantasmal Quasar

if they decide to add something like this for the ships i hope they also change the painting thing for the matter manipulator so you dont have to tap really fast and light to paint front stuff while the background stays another color so maybe if you have it selected and double tap the button to select it itll open a gui to change whether you paint the front or the back or both and maybe add colors to it (or make right and left click be what mining is set to so right for me is back and left is front and the double tap thing opens a gui that you change just the color?) but if they do add this maybe adding this for the other 3? not sure for scanning and wiring but for mining an option could be added so if you have the size upgraded you can limit it between 2x2 and max size (the precision already makes it 1x1 but kinda annoying if you want to mine 4x4 with the 5x5 upgrade in an area sensitive to what you do as you have to mine 16x longer for that section)

also im not sure if i did it or if its something in the game but the Avian ship panels in the background were actually covering the windows but again not sure if i did it without notice or it was the game

also maybe an option for your ship and stations to change what other players can do that arent or are in your party

and others have talked about the station being an area you can leave crew members at so maybe you can have 22 total so 12 max on ship and 12 at the station allowing you to transfer 2 crew between each and maybe an extra gui to tell what a specific crew member does (while on your ship or the station)

also will you be able to move the station around like maybe bring it between multiple planets or systems (or smash through stars) without losing anything? i hope that then i only take 1 slot of storage per stack of useless or cool looking items (useless as in the spam of weapons i dont like throwing away and cool looking as in nuclear waste and bioluminescent/glow rocks which isnt detected as a word by default is that spelt right?) on my ship and rest goes into station (maybe making a second ship locker that requires the materials of the first one and an already made first one or basicly 2 storage lockers so although alot more its cheaper in terms of space taken to storage so itll have 64 slots like the one you have at the start)

16. Thee Pie Man

Thee Pie Man Subatomic Cosmonaut

Of course. I get all my stuff moved off of the 10-20+ planets I colonized and sorted out onto a separate "storage" planet while I renovate my ship. Then something this convenient gets announced. Well, lucky for those in the future who won't have to do as much manually as I did.

17. bloodsplatBOOM

bloodsplatBOOM Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Everyone's hyped about space stations and mechs and all that, and while I am eagerly awaiting the mechs, one of the things I'm really interested in is that new ship travel system. Looks a hell of a lot faster than what we have now.

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yeah, sitting around on your ship for 30 seconds at a time wasn't all that fun IMO. Even the shorter animations between systems took awhile.

19. Caaros the King of Chaos

Caaros the King of Chaos Void-Bound Voyager

I apologize if someone else already addressed this, but I feel like I need to. In the last image in the original post, there seems to be a large gap between two parts of the station. If there is no way to fill that in, especially when the gap is fully enclosed, that is going to REALLY bother me.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  20. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Those last two words are basically invisible for people using the dark forum theme (As I am).

Anyways, I completly agree; I want massive blocks as my stations, not some structures made of long trusses and tunnels.

The Squid likes this.