9th July Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Quenton

Quenton Phantasmal Quasar

Though I liked Terraria's spider man style grappling hook, I would greatly prefer what Omni's got in mind. Hope it doesn't cause Omni too many more problems. Would love to see that in the game.

Axe Garian likes this.
  2. thehammeredone

thehammeredone Void-Bound Voyager

Fantastic penmanship D:
    And even better maths. Maths do make the procedurally generated worlds go round.

Also, Omni, why did you all have to go and implement some rope physics into a tile based sandbox game? Now every single idea that I ever had for my own game is in Starbound. I may as well just stop now, haha!

Toryu-Mau likes this.
  3. cecil1994

cecil1994 Star Wrangler

Doesn't worms have destructible terrain?

Just saying.

ShadedBlade likes this.
  4. thehammeredone

Also, this just gives me flashbacks of tiny worms...
    [​IMG]

5. Chaselock

Chaselock Phantasmal Quasar

It's just relatively more dynamic and interesting if you could use interrupting blocks to make new routes, if that makes any sense.

Toryu-Mau and Axe Garian like this.
  6. thehammeredone

Destructable, yes. Mutable while the rope is in progress? No. The second an explosion went off that would have modified the rope in the way Omni's talking about, your rope just blitted out of existence and you went plop. Which is exactly what Omni doesn't want to do and one of the many reasons I love the hell out of this dev team's drive to do things in the most awesome and immersive way possible.

Rad.

7. Cruellyricisti

Cruellyricisti Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Actually I was COMPLETELY joking. And omni picked up on that. So either you're so smart that you're disconnected (similar in position to the idiot savant), or REALLY full of yourself and you're perceived intelligence. But what is certain is your over inflated perception of your position in this world.

I actually completely understood OmnipotentEntity's logic. And I'm even smart enough to realize that he went off on a tangent several times and over complicated his description of the processes he was taking. Possibly in an attempt to make it sound more technical than it all actually is. More or less, he could have used laymen's terms to communicate his point but chose not to, to make it sound "all smart 'n stuff". Hence the use of the meme.

Thank you for your concern.

8. CubeX

CubeX Void-Bound Voyager

Seems cool, Is this a starting item or a late game item?

9. Kurozaiaku

Kurozaiaku Subatomic Cosmonaut

If it really does work in a relatively similar manner to the Worms games, the grappling hook is absolutely going to be my go-to choice for cave exploration and traversing difficult terrain since in the Worms games I was a monster with the Grappling hook (seriously, my friends HATE IT when I go all ninja with my grapple :p). I'm really glad you're making this as an option. :)

10. Necrius

Necrius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

tl;dr. Considering who wrote this - I saved my precious time from wasting. Gimme the game.

11. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Nice!I like grappling hooks.

12. Zyrodil

Zyrodil Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey, I also paint my stick-men like that.

13. Yopenguin

Yopenguin Orbital Explorer

If a double hook is implemented like in Terraria... I'm probably gonna try and craft that ASAP :D

14. Samszym

Samszym Aquatic Astronaut

Thanks for going so in-depth! I don't know a thing about coding or programming, I wouldn't have appreciated how much work and care went into the grappling hook without this update. And I'm sure the same kind of attention's being given to everything else. blows my mind how jam-packed this game is gonna be with awesome clever stuff. I'm getting more excited every day *_*

Toryu-Mau likes this.
  15. ha4841234

ha4841234 Subatomic Cosmonaut

:eek: MATH!!!! yay!

16. mooncats5

mooncats5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't know why it only just hit me how useful this item would be for rappelling down into chasms and buildings and other vertical drops... assuming of course the rope has a nice amount of length and can be unfurled so we can coast down. Being able to jump while still hooked would also be nice (to get around protrusions and get to nearby cliffs, etc).

That said; whatever happened to the 'Meet the Hylotl' post that was mentioned about a week or so ago? :< I've been waiting on... BAITED breath!

17. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

I can dig it.

18. AdenSword

AdenSword Pangalactic Porcupine

if you want the game now now now now that shows us you are like 8 or under or REALLY imature
    you just wont get it if its no beta no party every day for you then you wont be partying for 1-2 months now and saying no beta no party dosent make them work faster by the way it just annoys other people like me and M'aiq (and everyone else)

19. Ignis

Ignis 2.7182818284590...

As our esteemed admin already posted, and I didn't read any eventual responses to it, nor do I expect any, I just want to push for the idea and apparently spam my post with commas, will there be grappling of enemies/flying stuff?

Because seriously, I can not possibly imagine anything more awesome and "balls out, guns blazing" than grappling onto something flying mid battle and tagging along. Preferrably the flying behemoth tentacle thing you are actually fighting.

However, never having studied programming, I can imagine it's programming hell considering what you just explained about blocks and collisions...

Toryu-Mau, Freddy and Axe Garian like this.
  20. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

Cool stuff. I love the more technical update myself.
    Just to be sure I get this right tough. The rope is both elastic and with an adjustable lenght? So we can swing around using right and left, make it shorter/longer with up and down and we will bounce around at the end of it? Once it all work of course.