Starbound coming to Windows 10 and Xbox One via Game Preview!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Aug 4, 2015.

1. guilhermefsoares

guilhermefsoares Space Hobo

And the PS4 version? You guys still working on it too, right?

2. JoftheTman

JoftheTman Void-Bound Voyager

They did say they would work on other versions once the Xbone version reaches 1.0. Being the Nintendo fanboy that I am, (I don't wish to start any arguments about this) I hope that if it ever makes its way to the WiiU, by some lucky chance, that the gamepad will be creatively used, and not just thrown aside. Perhaps as a way to accommodate extra buttons such as teleport, inventory, codex, etc.

Soul64x, Morzan and Hatsya Souji like this.
  3. Daldril

Daldril Subatomic Cosmonaut

Does that enable controller support for the PC version? (or does that already exist, whilst I am just oblivious?)

CyborgChimp likes this.
  4. Yes! The PC version will support controllers just like the Xbox One version. Controller support isn't there yet, but it will be. :)

Ralek, Daldril, scriber and 9 others like this.
  5. DJ_Skullcrshr___

DJ_Skullcrshr___ Void-Bound Voyager

Yes! I started out playing on xbox then slowly moved my way to pc, this news makes my day!

6. Camshaft

Camshaft Phantasmal Quasar

AND WHERE IS THE PS4 VERSION????? you have announced the ps4 version 2 years ago!!! and nothing until now?? where is this version? or has microsoft give you more money than sony? but it is better to support the xbox one community then the bigger ps4 community.

and a windows 10 version comes? is that a joke ?
    with steam there is a windows 10 version yet

BlastRed and Hatsya Souji like this.
  7. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

I'm confused. Did the game not work on Windows 10 prior to this blog post? I've been holding off on updating because I know not everything is updated for 10 yet,and I have a lot of things that need updating for 10,

8. BradleyUffner

BradleyUffner Void-Bound Voyager

Ummm, Starbound runs perfectly fine on Windows 10 already, and has since the early previews.

infernalbane likes this.
  9. Camshaft

i think the means with starbound for windows 10 a version for the windows 10 store like minecraft windows 10 edition.

but starbound from steam works with windows 10 without probs

10. TanzNukeTerror

TanzNukeTerror Ketchup Robot

They announced a bunch of stuff two years ago. You forget that they develop at their own pace. They're not finished building their engine, as far as I know. And versions will spread out to other platforms after 1.0. They also basically disappeared for a year. Be patient; they're not going to do it any faster if people are like this.

I believe they mean a sort of Metro UI kind of thing. Like how Minecraft has a Win10 version as well. Of course the Steam version of Starbound works on Win10. Just like normal Minecraft does.

Doctor Devil likes this.
  11. Camshaft

i think version 1.0 comes in 5 years at the speed now. but it is a bunch in the face of the ps4 people that it will comes earlier to the small xbox one community.
    i think microsoft payed a lot of money for it.

and the konsole version will based on a older version than the pc version

Cthulhu01 likes this.
  12. rawkinrex

rawkinrex Phantasmal Quasar

Windows 10 app store version, using the new cross platform API for Xbox One, Windows 10 and Windows phone. PS4 may have more units out than Xbox one, but Windows beats them both for units out there.

13. chasimir

chasimir Void-Bound Voyager

I doubt Microsoft or Playstation pay indie developers any money to publish their games on their consoles. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's the other way around since they get a slice of all the sales.

According to the post, the Xbox One has a program called "Game Preview" which allows for early access games, like Starbound, to be purchased and played while they continue to receive updates. This is just like the Steam program we're all currently leveraging to play a game that is not finished yet. Playstation 4 doesn't seem to have that program (yet), and so Xbox would get it first.

shimonu and Doctor Devil like this.
  14. ParadoxJester

ParadoxJester Scruffy Nerf-Herder

... I'm far from someone who runs a business or company of any sort, but a part of me still wonders, wouldn't it be more efficient to "finish" the game that's been in development and "early access" for at least two years before attempting to port it to other platforms?

As for the 'Windows 10' thing, I'm mostly certain that it's involving a method of playing without Steam, aka a standalone kinda thing, which is fine too. If not, then well derpity derp on my part. I really really love Starbound, and I actually plan to have a little silly LP story kinda deal once things are more concrete and there's a heftier questline, but sometimes I still get sad. :c

15. Camshaft

but it cane have names like early acces or game preview but it is al the same! it sells the game! its only selling a game and the updates are updates.
    the most games are betas at selling and must be patched.
    there no game without a day one patch

windows is buggy and not the best and windows 10 has many bugs.

windows is not the best and and a multiuse system.
    for gaming is a system better what only play games and not to do word or excel or to rendering.
    there are better use of the hardware

Harakhti likes this.
  16. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Ps4 does not have a "early access" sort of program as far as i know (they do not allow you to release completely unfinished products where the customers can be part of development), so they cant release it for ps4 until its done allredy (after 1.0 has been released). You will have to wait.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  17. Admiral Wily

Admiral Wily Lucky Number 13

I would hypothesize It's coming to Xbox One first because the programming environment is closer to a PC then any of the consoles out there (I'd assume) and thus easier to port perhaps?

haynesy566 likes this.
  18. Hey! I just wanted to quote these last two parts of our statement again for emphasis:

"We believe Game Preview provides the best opportunity for us to make Starbound an amazing experience for console gamers as well.

This won’t distract us from Starbound’s continued development for PC, of course, as we’ll have an additional team working on the console version of the game. Ultimately, our goal is to launch Starbound in Game Preview and fine-tune the game for the best possible console experience. Once we reach Starbound 1.0, we’ll start working our way towards porting the game to additional consoles. :)"

The ability to develop the console version of Starbound alongside the PC version is important for us!

Ironbeak, Tamorr, Morzan and 4 others like this.
  19. TanzNukeTerror

TanzNukeTerror Ketchup Robot

I don't wish to start drama, but I don't think it's very constructive to bash the Starbound devs because they haven't done something yet that you want immediately. I'd assume you already have a PC version. And Starbound even ran fine on my craptop. You don't need a PS4 version right this second just because the devs said they'd put one out.

Iris Blanche, Ralek, n1t3n and 4 others like this.