NEW QUEST: Take a Look, it's in a Book

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jul 30, 2015.

1. BlueSea323

BlueSea323 Space Spelunker

Cool. Getting some new book will make this game even more immersive.

2. Astrih Konnash

Astrih Konnash Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Very good idea indeed :up:

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Reading Rainboooow!

4. Sick Sad World

Sick Sad World Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hm... time to flex that part of my brain that materializes words...

ouch already

rhomboid, Sariaz and PabloM like this.
  5. CrystalGems

CrystalGems Tentacle Wrangler

Ooh, I'm definitely signing up for this. I love writing novels and short stories, however I don't think I'll win, but I think I can get pretty close.

6. chasimir

chasimir Void-Bound Voyager

There should be a joke book with things like: "How many Avians does it take to screw in a light bulb? Seven." Or, you know, jokes about the various Starbound races.

7. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

How many entries can we submit?

8. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Does the 500 word count limit include the title of the codex entry? And do we get bonus points if we properly format the story in JSON?

Tamorr likes this.
  9. Mottyrob

Mottyrob Void-Bound Voyager

I'd participate if I had Ideas, which I don't right now and can't think up anything now. but even if I won, the last Package I got from the Yetee store had a few ants in it... :s

10. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

I most likely won't be entering since I know how to mod in books and such (for later inclusions of old novels that I have sitting around), as well as how I'm not exactly a literary genius. Still, I hope we get good stories. Other events like this in other games tend to have exceedingly bad stories with lame attempts at humor in a serious game, or trying to be too deep in a comedy game. A fair medium is never met most of the time, and it's a shame since there's definitely talent among people who don't work for companies that do that sort of thing. I've seen too many cases of artistic talent that gets ignored in favor for, and I hold every intention of sounding mean about it, low quality works. A stick figure in MSPaint should never win against a hand-crafted and beautiful water color painting, much like a web comic should not beat a well-written article (unlike modern gaming "journalism"), for example.

Thankfully the stories have to be related to Starbound. No pony fanfiction = great start. I look forward to seeing what wins.

EDIT: I just realized that my post could easily be misinterpreted. I'm not against comedy, but I just dislike when poor quality wins over high quality. That's all I mean by this.

benignInferno and Hatsya Souji like this.
  11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Do I have to limit myself to the seven vanilla species or can I expand "The Legend of Chelsie"? It does have apex in it already...

SleepySquidd likes this.
  12. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Hmmm... This one's sort of a flash fiction too, considering the 500-word limit. Might sign up for this one!

13. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

wait are you guys asking us to make storys here or is it a quset that you need to take before you do all your ohter qusets and then give her your side of story of all that happen on that quset?

14. Vuldreg

Vuldreg Cosmic Narwhal

If only i could write stories, I some times get ideas for stories but I've never been able to actually write it down as an actual story.

camerox likes this.
  15. SleepySquidd

SleepySquidd Tragically Magic Hands

You write a story and email them, if it wins it'll be put in as a book in-game :)

kisspower12 likes this.
  16. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Start it off with your daily Starbound adventures in few phrases, then soon weave it with proper grammar, punctuation, and coherent sentences. We can all write, and we can start at tier 1, and build 'em up.

17. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

i always lose on those :( BUT THAT AINT STOPING ME YOU CAN'T WIN IF YOU DON'T DARE!!! CHARGE FORWARD!!!

Hatsya Souji and SleepySquidd like this.
  18. shannyxvx

shannyxvx Space Spelunker

I know it says only 500 words... but is it okay to have 520? I am sorry but I just wrote a lovely story and I don't want to cut it..............

19. Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion Phantasmal Quasar

Just so happens that I don't have internet starting Saturday until the sixteenth. Better get crackin'.