28th July - So you two, uh... dig up dinosaurs?

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Rawr-a-saurus X3

2. user2345562

user2345562 Guest

OMG IS THIS GOING TO BE LIKE THE FOSSIL DIGGING IN POKEMON DIAMOND AN PEARL!?!?!?!
    I'M SO EXCITEEEEED

EDIT: OMG IT IS
    I JUST SAW THE STREAM
    THANK U CHUCKLEFIIIIISH <3 <3 <3

3. fiscure1

fiscure1 Void-Bound Voyager

Looks amazing. Can't wait for next stable update if this is in there. Also, love the new playstarbound.com background. Give me an avian feeling as well as possible hype for the next avian mission.

4. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

Hoping for Liopleurodon as an ocean fossil :D

Kitkatboy04 and Captain Rage like this.
  5. Godbot

Godbot Big Damn Hero

Huh, that looks nice. So, can we put fossils up on display, or something? Or do they just sit in our inventory?

Kitkatboy04 likes this.
  6. fiscure1

As said before once a fossil is dug up it can be put on display as a trophy.
    Link: http://playstarbound.com/stretch-goal-2-fossils/

7. Hawk Novablast

infernalbane and worenconverse like this.
  8. Crescendolls187

Crescendolls187 Void-Bound Voyager

Jurassic Park IN SPACE here we come! :D

n1t3n likes this.
  9. fiscure1

Correct. Though to me this sounds too much like Jurassic park. You may think bringing back dinosaurs might be good, but then they turn around and eat you and you lose pixels.

The Doctor likes this.
  10. Levy

Levy Phantasmal Quasar

Ripped right from Pokemon DPPt. Are you guys even trying anymore?

11. Hawk Novablast

This sort of digging up fossils has been used in SO MANY games, not just Pokemon, and Game Freak definitely weren't the first ones to use it.

12. Levy

Levy Phantasmal Quasar

Even more reason to be angry that it's in Starbound now.

13. Hawk Novablast

If games didn't use a single feature ever uses in other games, there would be one game per genre, maybe less.

14. Levy

Levy Phantasmal Quasar

But completely taking a feature and not changing it up? The only differences are textures. They could at least try to be more creative or something. And why do we need another minigame anyway? The game needs engine work so it performs better on couple year old hardware. Shouldn't need a modern PC to play a 2D game.

15. Did someone say... DINOSAURS?
    [​IMG]

16. Saklad5

Saklad5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How the heck do you think you know about the specifics of this process? All you have is one freaking screenshot.

As for the performance, I have two points.
    1. This is a beta, so that should be given as feedback, not criticism. It should be expected.
    2. Games like Starbound and Minecraft have FAR more discrete objects to render and process than games like Call of Duty or something. In certain situations, these games can require an impressive amount of computing power. You could argue that they should mention that somewhere, but you shouldn’t act like they can just wave a magic wand and make it perform smoothly IN THE MIDDLE OF DEVELOPMENT. If you cannot play it, try underclocking the game with mods. I’m sure they exist.
    It is fine to give feedback during a beta, but please don’t be angry and rude about it. They could just wait to release it as a finished product and skip all of your negativity.

17. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

Because the bigger the "world" is the harder it is for people to stay interested in it so you add fluff, just enough to change things up a bit and keep people interested. I for one fuuully support minigames mainly for this reason. Bored of mining? Go play a minigame for a while!

Dragon-fan and tomatelopes like this.
  18. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

But the question still remains;
    Will it have feathered dinosaurs as well as the scientifically incorrect kind?

Still, to quote my favorite guy from Starcraft; "Hell, it's about time!" Can't wait to have a reason to dig again.

19. Bildz77

Bildz77 Orbital Explorer

You Should add mosasaurus bones and add the function to recreate them maybe. Oh and still waiting for the ability to change the world new characters spawn in.