21st July - Farming Farmables!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jul 21, 2015.

1. mollygos submitted a new blog post:

21st July - Farming Farmables!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Zael, Axe Garian, ThaOneDon and 10 others like this.
  2. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Hopefully this can be automated with a watering machine....

3. Suralin

Suralin Subatomic Cosmonaut

Might need to build some sort of irrigation system to make sure rainwater gets to all the required levels, assuming you're not growing right on the surface.

4. chasimir

chasimir Void-Bound Voyager

Agreed. I liked the whole "plant stuff, go adventuring, return, harvest stuff, repeat" approach to farming. If I have to babysit things with water (especially at early stages of the game), I'll probably avoid growing things altogether and just try to collect more meat.

Naddox, Axe Garian, Pingeh and 13 others like this.
  5. JKthree

JKthree Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was thinking like if there was a pool of water one block underneath the tilled dirt it slowly consumes the water to automatically grow
    Or Maybe even specific tenants or NPCs will water them, get them to pull some weight around my ship.
    Another thought maybe even just have them grow at a much slower rate when not watered instead of not at all

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    Airling, Deimos56, Starsly and 11 others like this.
  6. largeon

largeon Void-Bound Voyager

Right! I'd want to be able to build some high-tech shit to automate the whole thing. SPACE

7. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

These Space-plants are WAY more demanding then earth plants... unless the process is speed up for testing purpose, of course. I will not do any farming anymore if it actually works as in the gif, and can't be automated.

bontekoe, drbabooner, Ravager and 3 others like this.
  8. TanzNukeTerror

TanzNukeTerror Ketchup Robot

I tried, and it doesn't seem to allow automation thus far. I can't link here, having not made three posts yet, but on the crosspost to /r/Starbound, I've linked a gfycat I took just now.

trent801 likes this.
  9. Yes!! I love farming. It may seem like tedium to care for your crops -- but this is legit almost everything I've wanted from farming. Some different soil types or liquids for "Watering" that affect growth and/or yield would be the next best implementation.

10. Pilchenstein

Pilchenstein Ketchup Robot

Will NPCs water crops if they're nearby?

11. Beathrus

Beathrus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Anyone looking forward to the next stable update, really really really muchly? Because, ya know... -Grabby Paws- Gimme Gimme! Need a stable update!

12. Captain Rage

Captain Rage Phantasmal Quasar

Hooray for news about fluid physics!

PS.
    I guess plants requiring wet soil will be less of a problem for a Hyotl farm at the bottom of the sea.

13. epomukbln

epomukbln Void-Bound Voyager

Read the text.....

14. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Did you see this bit?

This mean liquids can now affect blocks, and likely affect their matmods (like dry tilled soil), so it can most certainly be automated to a certain extent given that water affects the dry tilled soil matmod.

Also, I do not know how plants growing while a world is unloaded will react with plants requiring watering.

DaedricShadow and tomatelopes like this.
  15. claudekennilol

claudekennilol Space Kumquat

Does rain automatically water plants?

n1t3n, Ravager, r31ya and 1 other person like this.
  16. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Yes. This has been a thing since they first added the Wooden Watering Can to the Nightly.

17. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I hope they didn't make it hard coded and just attached a lua script to the object.

Otherwise great.

Morzan, Jonesy, MrChow and 2 others like this.
  18. trent801

trent801 Master Chief

It would be cool if you could later splice plants and make very complex watering systems/fountains :3

Astrih Konnash and n1t3n like this.
  19. Interesting addition.

I just want to point out that adding gifs like that is an excellent idea. Pretty clear, straight to the point.

Got me off on a tangent here, but I can definitely see a great use of gifs in, say, science classes. :disguise:

trent801 likes this.
  20. firekirby135

firekirby135 Big Damn Hero

Oh yeah, the process in that gif is most likely sped up. If you watch the cursor after each watering, you can see when he goes off-screen to speed up time. :rofl: