20th of July - Itty Bitty Critters!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by GeorgeV, Jul 20, 2015.

1. GeorgeV

GeorgeV Art Director

GeorgeV submitted a new blog post:

20th of July - Itty Bitty Critters!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. davidlolcat

davidlolcat Subatomic Cosmonaut

Critters!!!

3. Treldent-02

Treldent-02 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Really liking the critters, minor things like this do make worlds seem more 'alive'.

4. LOL BALL

LOL BALL Existential Complex

Obviously, I died from cuteness. :casper:

n1t3n likes this.
  5. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

6. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Eek, just so everyone knows, they aren't really that spazzy ingame. As @Katzeus mentioned, I've been updating the Critter wiki page with gifs that are relatively accurate to how they move around ingame. That page also has spawning information and where each critter is found.

I have added the details of the latest 28 of them, but not the gifs yet, as those take a bit longer to make. Hopefully soon though. (There are now 59 total)

The new ones in this blog are:
    Slug:[​IMG] Tritrots:[​IMG] Breaker:[​IMG] Glowing Ball:[​IMG] Winter:[​IMG] Hylotl Scab:[​IMG]

You can spawn them in and place them on your ship. See the wiki page for details. (can't use a capture pod on them though)

As for other news:
    • On Thursday they moved on to the Colourful (Rainbow) mini-biome, as well as making new Ocean microdungeons.
    • On Friday they worked on both of those and the Bones mini-biome. (Expect to see Colourful and Bones blogs this week)
    • See the Hylotl Scab critter above? There are walking skulls for all playable races and penguins that appear in Bones mini-biomes.
    • They have also kept adding biome-specific tenants as they go.
    • And of course, work continues on NPC AI/Behaviors. Adding new animations and interactions with objects.
    In a roundabout way, it sounds like Starbound has a new artist. Here is the announcement chain of that:
    Tweet One >> Tweet Two >> Tweet three >> Artist's Tumblr

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  7. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

These critters look amazing... But did it have to be seagulls?!
    Just joking of course, seagulls will make ocean worlds feel more alive... Together with that other new ocean stuff.

worenconverse and n1t3n like this.
  8. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

Why can't we catch them and put them on our ships? I want the penguin head. Actually, I want them all (except the birds). Great job with the artwork.

9. Unclever title

Unclever title Cosmic Narwhal

Crab is my favorite. That spritely walk cycle makes it look like it's dancing.

10. Gerbert Da Samich

Gerbert Da Samich Aquatic Astronaut

I really like the bouncing mushroom, looks like a really fun one to find!

11. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Oh... my god. I could have met one of the Starbound artists IN PERSON at Anime Expo this year! Dammit! D:

(If you don't understand what I am referring to, check the Tumblr link and scroll down a bit)

worenconverse and Axe Garian like this.
  12. Warget

Warget Giant Laser Beams

Pleeeeeeeeeease let there be wild Snuggets! (Snugget intencifies)

jasonzoo123 and DragonsForce like this.
  13. emeraldsean

emeraldsean Void-Bound Voyager

so exciting!

14. Greatblackshark

Greatblackshark Cosmic Narwhal

Am I the only one that wouldn't mind a few hostile critters? Not that I expect to be insta-killed by an alien slug that looks at me funny or anything like that. Just maybe something like alien mosquitoes or bees or something.

Unclever title and Mackerel II like this.
  15. MrChow

MrChow Pangalactic Porcupine

[​IMG]

Bring this little fellow along with piggie to Jungle biome plz.

Also, all pets to be met in the wild for a capture. :3

Astrih Konnash likes this.
  16. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. I now have penguin head:DD

17. Helix1111

Helix1111 Big Damn Hero

Its great these are not hostile creatures but why not make some that are challenging and can do harm? It would be great to have more monster diversity of shapes and sizes.

18. Spritley Jack

Spritley Jack Big Damn Hero

I think it would be cool if there were interaction that you could do with them, or even NPC actions they would do, like petting them, or playing with them. I think that would make them even better.

19. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

Will we be able to get these for our pet slots? (Or are they taking pet slots out since they added the mandatory on board pet?) I really want the little skull-crab guy following me around :D he's the tits!

Mackerel II likes this.
  20. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

Or eat em.............