29th June - Warp Speed

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Supernorn submitted a new blog post:

29th June - Warp Speed

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
    Lecic, Richtor, Tamorr and 16 others like this.
  2. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

Cool, just like Unreal Tournament's translocator :D

3. Nos37

Nos37 Subatomic Cosmonaut

The weather at Minecon 2015 looks dreadful. Meteor showers? Not going...

sid3aff3ct, dooder39, Morzan and 13 others like this.
  4. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

I like that navigation thingy :D
    The new weapon was already linked for us by the mighty Varixai... But it is very cool, so I don't mind seeing it again. Very exited for the furniture and also the microdungeons.

jasonzoo123 and Axe Garian like this.
  5. Well... that and there's y'know, no breathable atmosphere? What is this, post-apocalyptic Europe?

6. Iori_Evangel

Iori_Evangel Master Chief

* Claps * Its no breathable, it will rain meteors... OMG I NEED TO GO!

7. LunaIsBestPony

LunaIsBestPony Void-Bound Voyager

"No breathable atmosphere."

I don't know whether my lungs are dying from laughing too hard or the non-breathable atmosphere.

Ovyerus, A1CZERO, noobsqoou and 7 others like this.
  8. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

More Translocator Gun information from metadept:
    • May not make it to the core game, or get changed a lot before it does
    • Left click fires the disc, which lasts for 2 minutes.
    • Left click again recalls the disc, Right click teleports.
    • <metadept> i didn't end up adding telefragging
    • <metadept> but otherwise it's pretty much identical to the UT one in mechanics i think
    • <metadept> made a few good engine changes along the way

HERE is a news roundup from Friday night, with another GIF from metadept. (boomerang!)

IRC News roundup from Saturday:
    • metadept said that whatever silly stuff doesn't make it into the game, he may release as a mod.
    • Healthire says the Gnaremoob has been renamed to Youmerang.
    • These types of scriptable weapons will be in the Stable update after the next Stable update, which is colonies. That's why metadept is working on a separate feature branch right now. (They are not on the Nightly!)
    • After the Colony Stable update they would like to publicly release the Starbound adapted Tiled program. But they can't promise anything and it depends on how much more usable they can get it in that time.

Over the weekend I added 66 microdungeon pictures from this reddit thread to the new Microdungeons wiki page.

There was another long Terraria vs. Starbound discussion on reddit, Tiyuri responded to it at length.

Quiqksilver has been very busy, he showed off:

Edit: @Mackinz captured and pointed this out to me - http://pastebin.com/xZqcJWe9
    tl;dr - Healthire (dev) said that new characters starting on the same planet will be "addressed". It's not a simple fix but it is not being ignored.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Tamorr, Titanium, Morzan and 12 others like this.
  9. Redrikeo

Redrikeo Void-Bound Voyager

Well now that you have a Gun that will teleport yourself, it would be cool to see either the same gun or a different one do the same thing but instead of teleporting you it would teleport your enemies.

Axe Garian likes this.
  10. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Omg this is brilliant

Titanium and King Leonidas like this.
  11. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

Now I want a portal gun.

Axe Garian and Plex_Director like this.
  12. Adivia

Adivia Scruffy Nerf-Herder

so is this the closest to a portal gun as it gets?

Axe Garian likes this.
  13. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet. Metadept said a portal gun is a much more complex beast that he probably won't be tackling right this second.

These are test weapons that he is making while he expands the weapon system, so he has no cause to dive into something as specific and complicated as a portal gun right now.

Another small reminder, all of those weapons, the ones that make the cut that is, will be in the update after the next Stable, and are not currently on the Nightly. The next Stable update is colony focused and is expected to hit in about 4-6 weeks, maybe a bit longer.

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. Adivia

Adivia Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well if Terraria can have one, why can't starbound :3

Axe Garian likes this.
  15. Krabbe

Krabbe Pangalactic Porcupine

ok i'll definitively going to come and see you're booth

And yes, i actually managed to get a Minecon Ticket

16. Greymir

Greymir Void-Bound Voyager

shannyxvx and Kawa like this.
  17. Plex_Director

Plex_Director Pangalactic Porcupine

Truth be told?
    That Translocator Gun would make an EXCELLENT tool for some Portal-esque challenge instances. Collect the Translocator at the beginning, beat the instance, deposit it in some sort of device to open the exit.
    THAT would be some genuinely cool post release or modding stuff.

That said: Don't let that Translocator die! That's too good an idea to shelf!

Morzan, ninjarat007 and Tazmaniac95 like this.
  18. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

Well, I was also thinking of a more simpler offensive version of the translocator: instead of having right click teleporting yourself, it will shoot out a projectile that transporting whatever it hits to the disk. That means I can stand on top of a lava tank with 1 block wide hole on it, shoot a disk down there, then shoot at enemies and have them transported inside it. Also makes it useful for relocating NPC.

jasonzoo123 and Axe Garian like this.
  19. Yubs

Yubs Big Damn Hero

Did anyone else REALLY WANT that warp gun to hit the butterfly, and see a half-butterfly, half-avian monstrosity? Since I sure did.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    A1CZERO, noobsqoou, Morzan and 6 others like this.
  20. FamusJamus

FamusJamus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's not that bad, you just need to remember to bring your lead-lined asbestos umbrella.

Also a bicycle to get around the extra traffic jams caused by the craters.

Axe Garian likes this.