22nd June - Crabby Critters

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jun 22, 2015.

1. mollygos submitted a new blog post:

22nd June - Crabby Critters

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Lecic, Captain Rage, Tamorr and 16 others like this.
  2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Wait... wait... wait. Someones got crabs?
    Probably should see some one about that.

3. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

Inb4 Starbound development 2 slow.
    I'm really thrilled to see the deserts new parallax (if there'll be one? o:)

jasonzoo123 likes this.
  4. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

The Critters wiki page is up and running with all of the current critters and their animations.

http://starbounder.org/Critter [​IMG]

I'll add the new ones after they hit Nightly tonight. (I correctly guessed the jelly had a placeholder graphic on the Nightly the past few days, so haven't made that one yet)

Yup, all parallaxes on Forest planets now match the planet's tree type. Here is the developer announcing it and an album of screenshots.

They are redoing all parallaxes, one planet at a time. Art director GeorgeV did a bit of a Q&A session over twitter, saying that and other things. You can see the questions and answers here.

A bit of other development happenings (all on the Nightly):
    • The starting planet now seems to be a large Forest planet (mostly harmless), instead of a small Lush (harmless) planet. (I am guessing this is temporary, as it kind of breaks some progression)
    • Microdungeon spawn rates were again increased slightly, now .005 compared to .003 on Stable.
    • Work continues on the Avian and Hylotl missions.
    • They have also been working on a new mushroom microdungeon. They added a Mushroom Merchant tenant related to it.
    • They added Stone Rubble, a new block that falls like Sand and Gravel do.
    • GeorgeV has been going over a lot of the older Human furniture and decorations, updating their art. (They look a lot less bland)
    • Here are some recently added items: Wooden Chest, Iron Chest, and the Traveller's Meter that the new tutorial NPC uses.
    [​IMG] _ [​IMG] . [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  5. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

There are background trees that match the foreground ones in that banner. I am a happy sponge!

6. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

That crab looks nice, the... thing with the dirt looks like a pokémon, the 3rd and 5th look completley alien to me and the raven has Hylotl ancestors... I aprove. And I am waiting for the next update.

7. Sadiesaur

Sadiesaur Void-Bound Voyager

I love the Raven/Crow that you guys added!

8. MineWarCrafter

MineWarCrafter Void-Bound Voyager

That crab is amazing! :O

9. Greymir

Greymir Void-Bound Voyager

The critters look very neat.

10. TheWalrusNet

TheWalrusNet Phantasmal Quasar

I love it! I've been waiting so long for more immersion-related features :D

11. Super cute! Cuddly little animals everywhere!

*WARNING: cuddling with a crab, while it may seem like a good idea, can result in bodily harm. Consult physician in the event of crab related injury.

DragonsForce likes this.
  12. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

My first thought was Hylotl as well, but their species traits don't exactly transfer to other species. So I think it's just a Game of Thrones reference/shoutout, that's what I put on the wiki page. (The devs have tweeted about it so I know they're fans)

[​IMG]

On another note.. There hasn't been as much for me to report on, since they have been focusing on the new critters, parallaxes, and tons of new microdungeons on Lush and Forest planets. The combat stuff is in a separate 'feature branch', not the Nightly.

Huh, it does look like The Po doesn't it? Though I like quiqksilver's suggestion on reddit better, that it is a grass type diglett.

By the way, quiqksilver posted his latest Challenge Room. This one requires the player to kill all enemies before being able to progress.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  13. Partonetrain

Partonetrain Phantasmal Quasar

A crab, a turd, a jelly, a bird? Wut?

14. Avarwen

Avarwen Pangalactic Porcupine

I am honored that Starbound wants to give me crabs. :rofl:

15. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

I don't like seafood, but I guess my Starbound characters will have to start liking the stuff.

16. WatchingSleep

WatchingSleep Void-Bound Voyager

I can't tell if the ravens with three eyes are connected to the Hylotl, or it's a GoT reference.

17. Wall of Knowledge

Wall of Knowledge Cosmic Narwhal

Are all of these critters catchable via net or pod yet?

They're pretty cool, but I'd rather have one with three legs than three eyes. ;)

18. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Not sure why that is, frankly. Not only is it more annoying to obtain the basic resources necessary to progress off of the planet (core fragments, iron ore, etc. due to annoyingly strong enemies), but you can't complete the starter quests completely until you visit a Lush planet which means either lucking out with your starter system or having to wait till you can use FTL to get to another system with a Lush world.

The only reason that makes sense is that they are working specifically on Lush worlds in the background. The tutorial mine is an example of this.

19. Krabbe

Krabbe Pangalactic Porcupine

watch up for the jelly thing. remember the previous final boss?
    And another update where i'm added woho! (Krabbe = Crab)

20. Ravager

Ravager Title Not Found

Interesting! I'm curious though, will these critters be capture-able, like the bugs? Or are they just for scenery/ venting out upon? They'd make interesting little pals, especially the raven if you can teach it to perch on your shoulder and hunt small alien lifeforms.