12th June - Forest for the trees

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Healthire submitted a new blog post:

12th June - Forest for the trees

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2015
    Zael, LastDay, rhomboid and 20 others like this.
  2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Looks really fantastic
    Love the Ray of Light which appeared in the background.

3. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

Oh my Kluex it looks FABULOUS!:rainbow:

4. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

FYI, the last 2 gifs aren't working for me at the moment. Edit: They are working now, the first is "love" and the second is "flee!".

Tiy posted more fantastic parallax/environment screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/yJ2YD

Some other development news:
    • Fun fact, they used Mario art while they were waiting for the new background to be complete
    • Starbound is 10% off on Steam until June 22nd for the summer sale!
    • The Floran mission is currently broken on the Nightly, since Nuru has to open the first gate and she stubbornly refuses to do so right now.
    • They added at least 3 more backer hats. (11 total in the last week, all on the wiki now)
    • They have added many new items, including a new stone chest, a new wooden chest, a small plaque that describes a hylotl art piece, and a "Traveler's Beacon" that looks amazing and "records geological data".
    • For the veteran players: plantmatterstone is no more. (It finally got renamed to Plant Matter.)
    • They have done a ton of work on NPC personalities and interactions, as partially shown in the blog today. NPCs now have many new animated "reactions". These are different than emotes though, for example players cannot perform these animations. (yet)
    • Work on colonies also continues. I have updated the Tenant page to reflect the current Nightly build.
    • Work on the new Lush (starter planet) microdungeons also continues, they are quite extensive now, and all made in Tiled.
    • They added a cool Bird's Nest item that can drop an egg when it gets broken. (it is a pot item) [​IMG]
    Edit: Kyren posted a nice breakdown about the size of Starbound's .pak file related to loading times. Stating why it is the size that it is and what they are doing to bring it down. (and optimize the game some more)

Edit2: Tatterdemalion added an update I forgot about related to the new Lush microdungeons:
    I posted more details about those NPCs and what they say on the last page here.

More critters! Here is an updated screenshot and spawn location list:

[​IMG]
    • Lush (starter planets): Bird, Hedgehog, Snail, Tortoise, Mouse, Bunny
    • Desert: Armadillo, Mouse
    • Forest: Bird, Blip, Mouse, Snail, Sporeling, Squirrel, Owl
    • Forest - Mushroom Patch: Sporeling
    • Ocean: Gull
    • Jungle: Bird, Frog
    • Alien: Bounce Bag, Float Bag, Sack Bag, Snoogle (the pink one)
    • Alien - Eyepatch minibiome: Eye Friend, Eye Pod
    • Snow: Common Bunny, Reasonable*
    • Tundra: Bunny, Reasonable*
    * The critter in middle of the bottom row is called "Reasonable". Odd looks come with an odd name I guess.

There are 21 total critters now. X3 12 Earth-like and 9 Alien.

Edit: Added Blip and Sporeling on Friday, Desert Tortoise on Sunday

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  5. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Wow, what a difference. That parallax looks amazing, great work @Supernorn and @Tiy

Axe Garian, Daldril, PabloM and 2 others like this.
  6. whazzar

whazzar Void-Bound Voyager

The last two gifs are also not working for me. It directs me to a page that says:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
    <Error>
    <Code>AccessDenied</Code>
    <Message>Access Denied</Message>
    <RequestId>8EA7EF1A8907342C</RequestId>
    <HostId>Zms44lnb913AzudulJzSziyAlTZ55IF3pEU76eJVePKqJht8TWKsxuUm/fJi61Mqo8Eq4QnPICs=</HostId>
    </Error>​

7. Cgeta

Cgeta Pangalactic Porcupine

oh boy, dat forest, and that girl running away in shock! Hahaa xD

8. Dark-Grunt

Dark-Grunt Void-Bound Voyager

The forest is freaking awesome!!!

9. shannyxvx

shannyxvx Space Spelunker

This looks gorgeous, I would love to take a stroll through an alien forest of crooked trees :)

Also, I would love to see a swampy biome with thick fog with vine-y trees :rainbow:

10. Alex WaveDiver

Alex WaveDiver Pangalactic Porcupine

[​IMG]

The lack of hylotl quests and villages made him sad :(

11. ODST 4900

ODST 4900 Pangalactic Porcupine

The only thing i have against the forest look is the difference between background trees and actual functional trees, hope they can be unionised.

tomatelopes likes this.
  12. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

Now that's a forest. I can't wait to see other parallax improvements, like transitions to underground, caves and the like.

13. Blue

Blue Former Staff

Any way to have the color pallet of the trees in the background match the pallet of the trees in the foreground (have brown auto replaced with purple)? This is of course a coding thing... but I've seen auto pallet changing stuff in other games (to save on art assets in those cases). The fact they don't look like the same tree would be less apparent if that was the case.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    Tamorr, Maholix, tomatelopes and 2 others like this.
  14. BradleyUffner

BradleyUffner Void-Bound Voyager

Hmm, I never noticed before that the parallax trees do not match the actual foreground trees. I'm going to have to work hard on un-noticing that.

tomatelopes likes this.
  15. Burnalot

Burnalot Void-Bound Voyager

Looking good. Once all the tiny details come together it's bound to make a significant differance compared to what we have seen before.

shannyxvx and PabloM like this.
  16. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

That background is gorgeous. But if its possibly they should (as blue & bradley allredy pointed out) match the tree's on the planet.

tomatelopes and shannyxvx like this.
  17. Akogishi

Akogishi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Mollygos did say they were working on it (ie not finished).

Looks great! Keep up the excellent work!

Axe Garian likes this.
  18. DirkLarien

DirkLarien Void-Bound Voyager

Forest for trees .... funny my favorite song from old game Wheel of time.
    But to the point - just woow it looks like different game. seriously it added so much.
    I never knew i wanted this :)

19. DaedricShadow

DaedricShadow Pangalactic Porcupine

Amazing! Finally, those forests won't look like they'd be a single row of trees in real life.

jasonzoo123 likes this.
  20. Greymir

Greymir Void-Bound Voyager

The forest background looks amazing!

Jbeetle likes this.