10th June – Sunsettings!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Necotho, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Necotho

Necotho Arteest Chucklefish

Necotho submitted a new blog post:

10th June – Sunsettings!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

So...we'll have an alien planet with blue grass and green sky?

3. The Items Merchant.

The Items Merchant. Void-Bound Voyager

Honestly, I'm impressed with how much effort is going into starbound these days. A sunrise and sunset would help build up the game nicely. That being said,
    With all these updates to the graphics coming up, I just hope that some of the classic "survival" starbound we had before the "one year update"-type looks will still be around.[DOUBLEPOST=1433956015][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Its not uncommon, In starbound. That's half the point.

Also, It's nice to meet the famous artist. I hope your doing well, these days.

Maholix and Slapchop like this.
  4. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Saw this post coming, cos I saw sky color data in today's diffs.

5. Oooooo Pretty!

That's something the worlds could use, more well defined day/night cycles.

6. Nibolas O Anelbozas

I was trying to make a reference to Dragon Ball...but famous artist?! me? i'm just another user in the forums

7. justbeast

justbeast Industrial Terraformer

That's awesome, I do really appreciate the day/night system (and the tiny brief dawn and dusk as it exists) in this game!

Speaking of giving worlds more life -- is there any chance for us to be able to plant (transplant, really) non-tree plants, like the destructable bushes on forest and jungle planets? Or to capture other types of monsters in pods (specifically, fish and birds). And to capture and release monsters but not have them be pets or follow you around, but just allow them to roam about?

I'm very excited about the ability to grow grass, that's definitely a step in the right direction!

Right now, we have a limited ability to "terraform" (modify in any way) planets in that we can plant trees from other planets, and capture and release pet monsters. It would be amazing to extend that to destructable vegetation like the bushes and shrubs, and to birds, fish, and the new critters like snails etc.
    (If there was a system that increased the chance of transplanted species going "native" and actually appearing on the planet, that would be absolutely amazing. It could be as simple as a cumulative small percentage chance that a released capture pod monster would be added to the spawn list for that planet.)

Hatsya Souji, Wreth and benignInferno like this.
  8. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

New sky colors? Yes please! Not that there is anything wrong with how it is now, but this looks even better :)

But a cool artist user :) And a very activ user contributing to the community. (So get onto my request :p Only joking of course, do it when you feel like it. If that is never, I am sad, but that is my problem not yours)

9. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

[​IMG]

More critters! There are 2 images of the frog and armadillo (showing their jump/roll). The last 2 are the alien critters. Here are the planets they spawn on right now:
    • Alien: Bounce Bag, Sack Bag
    • Desert: Armadillo, Mouse
    • Forest: Bird, Squirrel, Snail, Mouse
    • Lush (starter): Bird, Hedgehog, Snail, Tortoise, Mouse, Bunny
    • Jungle: Bird, Frog
    • Snow: Common Bunny
    • Tundra: Bunny
    * Note: The bunny can be captured with a capture pod right now. (So can a pure white cat, Floki, but it doesn't spawn anywhere yet.)
    * More details on critters on page 2 here.

Other updates at a later time.. I'm super busy today > .<

Edit: tccoxon posted a video of NPCs falling asleep mid conversation because they are bored:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  10. Nibolas O Anelbozas

It's just that lately i've been in some internal conflicts, sorry

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

The "cool shades" backer head piece is pony.

Harintosh likes this.
  12. TheTrueArtisan

TheTrueArtisan Subatomic Cosmonaut

*waits for mod that allows a perpetual sunset*

RatixFarrence, Morzan and Slapchop like this.
  13. Silvador

Silvador Phantasmal Quasar

Dawn/Dusk HYPE!

14. Yubs

Yubs Big Damn Hero

Ah snap! That's gonna be lovely to watch when it's animated! I hope these sunset colors are not just limited to "Earth-color" sunsets!

Like, I enjoy an amber sunset like everyone else, but I still think it would be neat watching a blue sky become a shade of green or purple or blue as the sun sets!

Morzan, shannyxvx and DragonsForce like this.
  15. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

you know.....how about they add lightening bugs at night that randomly light up the night on lush planets that fade in and out or just in certain areas, and if you catch one with a net, you can use the jar as a light source............heard it before i know, but i feel like the night transitions feel lowely, especially with all these special types of bugs fluttering about[DOUBLEPOST=1433965236][/DOUBLEPOST]oh and by the way, my eyes deceive me, is that a hylotl or a floran in that image, i can't tell

16. glasspug

glasspug Phantasmal Quasar

How come most of the recent updates have to do with planets? Not that I'm complaining, I tried to do colonizing before colonizing I even a thing!

RatixFarrence likes this.
  17. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

SOOOOO PRETTY!

18. TurtleLuigi

TurtleLuigi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Alien sunrise on an alien planet with alien... things...

Sadiesaur and Kawa like this.
  19. velkos4ever

velkos4ever Void-Bound Voyager

looks very nice.can't wait for this huge upcoming update :3

20. The Items Merchant.

The Items Merchant. Void-Bound Voyager

Trust me, i know the feeling. Some days are worse than others, but you're still you at the end of them.
    I hope that helps.

I'd make a request,But honestly I don't want to trouble you with it.
    You've already managed to create drawings of pretty much everyone who's asked, Something pretty admirable.
    As for the subjects of sunrise and sunset, I noticed the afore-mentioned altered background.
    I sincerly hope that Starbound retains some of what it was..
    It feels like it's being shifted into a childrens version of itself, and that's my greatest fear for starbounds future.
    (want an example? take a look at the human armor changes.) Chucklefish is doing very well, actually. I'm just paranoid, i suppose.

tomatelopes likes this.