8th June - Garden critters!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jun 8, 2015.

1. mollygos submitted a new blog post:

8th June - Garden critters!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  2. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

This is seriously an amazing update. You guys just keep surprising me with things I thought we needed but didn't think we'd see for a very long time, if ever.

SNAILS!! <3

Pohany, kakar0t and Harintosh like this.
  3. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Tiyuri on twitter an hour after this blog: "rain watering soil and grass seeds"

[​IMG]

To add to this blog:
    • Here is a tweet from Healthire when he was testing the new bird takeoff feature. (hint, he wasn't using birds)
    • And here is a tweet from Tiyuri with a picture of snow settling. (Edit: This picture is now shown in the blog)
    • Grass does not change in appearance over time like other crops, it simply appears right away as normal grass after you plant it.

Happenings over on the Starbound subreddit:
    • rhaokja posted a fantastic, massive build that was made with the new colony system in mind.
    • quiqksilver posted a way to sort of "cheat" through the boss room in the Floran mission. SamuriFerret thanked him for the heads up and said it will be fixed.
    • quiqksilver also demonstrated a new asteroid protection method.

And here is an "updates summary" with stuff that hit the nightly Thursday night and Friday night :DD (Since there wasn't a Friday blog)
    • The frog furniture store from this blog is now in the Nightly and can be spawned with "/spawnitem frogfurnishing". Here's its wiki page with current selling list.
    • To go along with the new store, the old frog merchant "Ribbit" has been changed to the new guy.
    • There is a new charge up animation for many monster attacks.. it's a sort of red sparkles. They applied this to 40 different monster attacks.
    • They continue to add more special skills for monsters to use, and are applying them to monsters as they go (large bipeds got a lot of new attacks on Friday)
    • They did a MASSIVE economy pass, giving a price to almost 1,300 items including armors, weapons, and tools. These prices are likely for selling.
    • Many more armor and weapon recipes got the "half off" crafting cost slash. They have been bringing all of the game's economy in line (at lower digits). About a month ago the pixel loot from monsters and chests was also cut in half. (Basically, don't panic, the numbers are just smaller.)
    • Make sure you check out Healthire's post that further explains what he is doing with the NPC to NPC interactions. That system is going to be amazing.. true communities of NPCs. Now think of that combined with colonies. Yea, awesome.
    • I asked tccoxon on IRC whether we will be able to see the object tags used by the colony system on the ingame tooltips, here was his reply:
    (I had mentioned that we are working to display the tags on the wiki.) (Which we still plan to do, for people like me who love to see the data behind the magic.)

[​IMG] . . [​IMG]

^ "Ancient Prop" on the left and Caretaker armor set on the right. These 2 and many other new objects are on the wiki now: Ancient Prop - Caretaker Set - Ancient Torch - Ancient Wall Light

Edit: On page 2 is discussion and evidence of a connection between the Caretaker and Cultists.

As always:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Lecic, kakar0t, Type1Ninja and 14 others like this.
  4. Richtor

Richtor Subatomic Cosmonaut

Snails? Now we just need salt...

5. CyberSpork

CyberSpork Void-Bound Voyager

Awesome! Can we capture them? It would be cool to have a bird in a cage in your home or have some rabbits in your garden!

6. sankto

sankto Pangalactic Porcupine

It's the small details that make the whole! :D

Tamorr likes this.
  7. Poachyinator

Poachyinator Void-Bound Voyager

This is gonna be great! :DD

Are there any plans on making a function for us to capture pets like this? :sarcasm: Not like with the creature capture pod where they die are are gone, but along the lines of the ship pets? I'd love having a couple birds and tiny critters running around my houses :)

8. Partonetrain

Partonetrain Phantasmal Quasar

Never have I been so excited to see snails in any context.

Poachyinator and PabloM like this.
  9. presidenthobbes

presidenthobbes Void-Bound Voyager

Nice to see planets getting some charm to them. Can we get squirrels that fall out of trees when you chop them down?

Morzan and PabloM like this.
  10. Beathrus

Beathrus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

....Now make it where I can capture certain bugs.. (Stink bugs, Fire Bugs, Wasps) And use 'em as grenades... Throw and a cloud, or grouping of said insects indiscriminately attack all. I think it would be fun to wasp bomb people....

Yubs and Relten like this.
  11. Caidoz

Caidoz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hopefully we'll see some new biome types at some point before the next stable update.

Relten likes this.
  12. Onimath

Onimath Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe it's a weird thing but... with all this bugs, but bugs in insect way, i was thinking about if will be possible the existence of something like a Book of Bugs or something, where you get an entry when you catch some type of bug getting its info. It will be fun to try to complete the book and sure will take more hours of gameplay and adds the posibility to make more kinds of little bugs to enrich the life of the planets.

I feel a bit sad when i catch bugs and i can't do anything about it except put the bottle in a nice place. I can smell some good potential and extra things to do with them. If not, a posible mod about this can be great!

Anyway, a delicious update. I just can't wait to see more. I love the progress of this game. So much personality.

13. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

Gardening huh? Personally when I think of summer, I think of beaches and swimming pools.

But hey, an awesome update is still an awesome update.
    Plus, I must see these cute garden critters!

So, basically a bug pokedex that gives you a bit more depth to them?

That's not a bad idea, it's really great actually...though that will be a lot of bug catching.

I personally would like a little habitat to place them in.

PabloM likes this.
  14. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Hope my laptop can survive this new update, as I'm still using a G570 with onboard graphics card (64mb dedicated)...

Relten likes this.
  15. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

That's not that bad, I have seen worse.

In comparison, my PC is basically a potato with a nail sticking out of it.

dropdead and Hatsya Souji like this.
  16. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

Birds fellows !! *try to fly and crash*
    Anyway, adding more common animals will make better atmosphere than the giant acid spitter birds. ^^

Relten likes this.
  17. Onimath

Onimath Void-Bound Voyager

I was thinking more in Animal Crossing way. But yeah, that's the idea. Maybe when you catch the bug, you can see it a bit bigger with a pixel art in the book. Maybe that can be a bit hard to do, but i'm sure this will add more inmersion to the game. But that's just an idea.

Relten likes this.
  18. Donna-Jones

Donna-Jones Void-Bound Voyager

uuhweeh snails :rainbowbarf:

Harintosh, Hatsya Souji and Relten like this.
  19. LizardPL

LizardPL Void-Bound Voyager

(I know, there are always more important things to implement in the game but...)
    YEEEESSS!!! I've been waiting for the ability to plant grass! And for snow to cover surfaces! I'm sooo glad to read the update news :D
    I have question - is sand going to cover surfaces as well (during sandstorms for example)? Or ash on volcanic planets? (in the future)
    Also, it will be sooo nice to see all those critters not wanting to eat me ;)

Happy Monday to you too mollygos! :D

20. Freezair

Freezair Pangalactic Porcupine

Ahh, the snow thing makes me so happy! My home planet is a snow planet, and I'd love for a thin layer of snow to settle over my house... it'd be so atmospheric! :D

Relten likes this.