April 23rd - How to retrieve your home planet!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Apr 23, 2015.

1. mollygos submitted a new blog post:

April 23rd - How to retrieve your home planet!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Richtor, Lecic, Axe Garian and 8 others like this.
  2. DrVoodoo

DrVoodoo Cosmic Narwhal

I always used my ship as my base, but that is useful information nonetheless.

3. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

"This meant that existing players would have to lose their home planets."

Phrasing! This could be interpreted as "the planets are gone", not "their home planet loses the 'home' marker".

Dunto and TrueEdge like this.
  4. Metafogos

Metafogos Void-Bound Voyager

Still waiting for a way to recover my Koala characters :(

5. linkstheman

linkstheman Master Chief

Sweet. There is hope that I won't have to rebuild my garden again. Thx for the info.

6. Good point. :) Reworded it a bit.

Dunto and Kawa like this.
  7. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

You're going to wait for a long time

Lecic and Doctor Devil like this.
  8. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

“What do all these numbers mean?!” World files with names like: 270623995_279217314_-213404188_12.world mean that you’ve visited a planet with the coordinates X -270623995 Y -279217314.

^ They aren't negative coordinates. ;) I would also mention that the first two sets of numbers are the coordinates, and maybe tweak the coords a bit for clarity. So it could look like:

“What do all these numbers mean?!” The first two sets of numbers are the coordinates, so a world file with the name "270623995_279217314_-213404188_12.world" means that you’ve visited a planet with the coordinates X: 270623995, Y: 279217314.

Anyways, sorry for nitpicking! Thanks for posting this, we've been answering this question all over the place.

SenninShin likes this.
  9. turn_to_rust

turn_to_rust Void-Bound Voyager

FOUND IT! :D

10. KernelPanic

KernelPanic Phantasmal Quasar

So... never character wipes and home planet wipes or...?

Because if I'm going to be able to keep it forever I'll start playing again! ;)

11. Treldent-02

Treldent-02 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

No reason to, it won't happen, the wipe was just the like other wipes, also because of the amount of changes old character just wouldn't work, i imagine

12. ledigan

ledigan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was a bit worried about losing all my hard work after the update, but this should be a big help to everyone who loves their home planets! Before this post, I followed some alternate advice on the Starbound subreddit that said to create a new character, turn /admin on, give myself 20 core fragments, and unlock the pilot's door to check my home planet's coordinates. I guess another way to figure it out won't hurt!

13. obsidiangoat

obsidiangoat Void-Bound Voyager

I have too many planet's there, and they all have the same average size! I can't find my home planet, and I'm really sad :c

14. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

This post needs to be stickied somewhere. This is a very common question that should have its own thread.

15. Yumiru

Yumiru Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Darn, I thought this was about finding our Koala character's home planet. I really miss my rainy forest planet with low gravity, but have had no luck in finding a good replacement. :(

Regardless, this is a nice guide none the less.

16. KingMufasa

KingMufasa Orbital Explorer

Molly, would it be possible for all new players to have their starting planet pre-bookmarked? I think many new people would leave their start planet and forget where it was. Or at least have a brief tutorial section showing how to use bookmarks. I think it would help tremendously!

PabloM likes this.
  17. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

B....bbb....but how am I supposed to cry and throw and tantrum and behave like a monster and vilify Chucklefish for me losing my home planet in a beta if I can recover it? Bummer!! :cry::X:p;)

ledigan and Kawa like this.
  18. Smiling Spectre

Smiling Spectre Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Actually, as ledigan noted above, if you never changed your default home planet settings, you can easily found it by creating new character, as by default all characters shares the same home planet... (Too bad that it will not work for me. :)

19. CaptainxEdd

CaptainxEdd Aquatic Astronaut

It seems now I can't teleport down to my planet at all now xD

20. kamilion

kamilion Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Everytime I try to TP to any of my planets, I see this in starbound.log:
    [00:38:40.519] Error: Exception caught in client main-loop: (MapException) Key '5' not found in Map::get()

What does this mean, and why is starbound choking on it? I can probably repair them with py-starbound if you can tell me why this is occuring.
    Is it a problem with the .lua that upgrades older database versions not correctly adding this key to a datastructure?