15th of April - Tiled!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Nixling, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Nixling

Nixling Guest

HariJ submitted a new blog post:

15th of April - Tiled!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

ChocoboXV, Mogg, Richtor and 9 others like this.
  2. Akogishi

Akogishi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sweeeet update!!

3. fiscure1

fiscure1 Void-Bound Voyager

The question is though, when?

T35. likes this.
  4. WaterMelon2891

WaterMelon2891 Yeah, You!

Pleas uptade starbound fast

5. warbrand2

warbrand2 Subatomic Cosmonaut

map editors like that are a god send for making long things.... though old fashion way tend to be best for complex things.

6. Tomas Swageroni

Tomas Swageroni Scruffy Nerf-Herder

so, more missions faster? YESSSHHH

7. engiSonic

engiSonic Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Stable update coming soon? I CAN FINALLY MAKE SOME CUSTOM ANCIENT RUINS ON MY FAVORITE SERVER

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  8. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

nifty looking program; well interesting. Looks like a start, just unsure what to make of it, as better running through than a visual map like. Still from what I can tell looks intriguing enough. Well keep up to nice work.:)

9. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Hey CF team, why did you remove the "Random" button from universe navigation? It was a pretty useful feature back in the Koalas, and would still be very useful in the Giraffes. Could you bring it back?

10. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

"Adaptation". No wonder it doesn't seem to work on this normal version I got.

Edit: okay real talk, what about the massive amount of extra data one can find in the Monolith dungeon file, that's only there for Tiled's benefit? Not to mention that it defines what seems to be all the materials and objects, as opposed to the other format's subsets.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  11. Keither

Keither Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I absolutely love map editors. Could never get enough of them for all my favourite games. Releasing this could be a boon for modders, creative types and Starbounds community as a whole.

Hatsya Souji and Tamorr like this.
  12. Timeheart

Timeheart Void-Bound Voyager

Looks a little like the Starcraft Map editor I used to use back with the older game.

13. Igeloi

Igeloi Phantasmal Quasar

Kyren has been working on a new server code, which essentially reworks the way client messages are sent, making it much more efficient and stable. There will be at least one more unstable update involved in this while the last few bugs are being worked out of the system.

Yesssss.
    The servers runa lot better already now. I am hoping for even more improvement.

14. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Because you can type in random numbers yourself.

15. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Because that is a fantastic reason (no it's not) to remove a feature that did it for you.

MrChow, ll LoneWolfe ll and Zael like this.
  16. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Hearing that tiled is being adapted to starbound is great news. It is reasonably user friendly enough that with moderate effort you can get something pushed out.
    Hopefully one day a fully adapted version comes out

RatixFarrence and lazarus78 like this.
  17. Crystan

Crystan Maverick Hunter

Depends on what you guys understand under "user friendly"? Keep in mind that most of the folks who are really going to mess around with it are most likely modders. So if it just require some fiddling to get things working you can probably release it right now. :p

The | Suit likes this.
  18. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Indeed. You would not believe the hoops you had to go trhough for modding TES games properly. But modders figured it out, and the games thrive even still.

Edit: I was fiddeling around with the program to see what it was like, and I noticed it doesnt export pixel maps, but does JSONs. I also know that the monolith dungeon has no pixel map. Is it safe to assume that pixel maps are no longer the way of the future? Will they be phased out entirly, or will their functionality still be there, but won't be used for official dungeons in the future?

Speaking of the monolith, the file is 5MB because its ~78,000 lines long containing code for all (probably) possible game objects. Is this necessary? And if so, would it not be possible to keep different tileset block keys and "import" them to your dungeon, I guess kinda like a programming library of sorts.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    MrChow likes this.
  19. capizma

capizma Cosmic Narwhal

aww yiss ill be using this for dungeons when i eventually come around to it.

20. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

I want that delicious program...*drool*