Combat Update - Lunar Base Run

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Apr 2, 2015.

1. mollygos submitted a new blog post:

Combat Update - Lunar Base Run

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Tamorr, Lecic, Axe Garian and 3 others like this.
  2. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

That looked deliciously chaotic

3. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Are the guns in this actually useful, or do they just look that way because there's four people using guns instead of one?

4. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Hmm... funny how I saw this before this post was made. ><

Still a great run through, and amazed at the team work there.:)

5. Ordel

Ordel Void-Bound Voyager

The combat looks like it's taking a very nice step in the right direction. One thing that still concerns me though is how the combat actually feels.
    Excuse me for the comparison, but I think it's a necessity:
    In the video, the combat looked very much more fluid and, well, responsive- compared to the old combat system full of delays and waiting.
    This combat is alot better. Less waiting around and more "Let's go punch/slice/whatever this thing in the face! Yeah!"

But, it still felt as if it were lackluster. In terraria, every weapon really felt like it had an impact on what you hit. Hit something and it goes flying like a hockey puck. You can really feel the impact, and it feels great. In starbound, the combat feels as if you're not really doing anything. There's no "oomph" whenever you hit an enemy, and that really takes a bite out of the fun of the combat system. The loud hitsounds are a nice thing to have for sure, but there isn't really any impact there whatsoever.

Now, of course, Im not saying starbound should do what Terraria did with its' combat system. PLEEEASE don't take that the wrong way. The starbound combat system is :amazing:, and it's STILL growing. Im just concerned that the fighting would feel empty. Whenever an enemy sustained an attack, numbers popped off it and that's it. No wincing animation, no "Ow that hurt" response from the enemy, just a meaty hitsound, a few numbers, and back to business. That makes the combat feel very empty and in a sense, unrewarding. I wanna feel good for slapping something in the face with a hammer, or for zapping something with my sci-staff, or for 360 noscoping a monster. I want a response of some type, something to say "Ow, you got me. That hurt. sadface". Whether this comes in the form of knockback, animations, or whatever doesn't really concern me. I just want something to be there. Something that incites a feeling of success in the combat but doesn't completely disrupt the combat's flow.

But, ah, that's just me. Perhaps I took too many pills or something. Sorry for the minirant lmao

VariusEtland and megakruemel like this.
  6. ChrisGP123

ChrisGP123 Yeah, You!

It looks in the video like the player is opening crates and then quickly looting items without dragging them to the invetory one by one. How is s/he doing that? Is that in the stable version?

7. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

you can pick up items that are learnable, like recipes & codex, then while object on pointer move it outside window and right click to learn, or is it left click. Regardless it has been in long before the giraffe update so you can learn and add things to codex without having to add to hotbar/inventory...

PabloElPuas likes this.
  8. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

I guess that blue and grey numbers seem to indicate the amount of damage dealt in relation to the blocked damage.

9. PabloElPuas

PabloElPuas Pangalactic Porcupine

In my opinion this mission well although it could more things around the lunar base

Sorry I speak Spanish and sorry for my grammar because people are offended because a person has poor level of English

10. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

You can shift-click to instantly move an item from a container to your inventory and vice-versa.

ChrisGP123, SP3CTR3 and Tamorr like this.
  11. BloodThirstyGamer

BloodThirstyGamer Void-Bound Voyager

The greatest thing I noticed in this video was the accuracy of those Grenade-Launcher shots.

12. Helix1111

Helix1111 Big Damn Hero

where is the challenge? what is this level 1? looks SUPER easy :(

You didnt even take any damage.

13. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

There were four people who know the level intimately, so a lot of ammunition got sprayed and surprises weren't there.

And there were a couple of deaths, so yeah, damage was taken.

14. Incendus

Incendus Orbital Explorer

When is this gonna hit Nightly? So Excited :D

15. SyntaxError

SyntaxError Void-Bound Voyager

Would it be possible to pen that boss in with blocks to prevent it from using the laser beams? That seems like the obvious way to cheese it; I hope you guys figure out a way to prevent players from trying to do that. Maybe have it break anything solid with the lasers within a certain range or have the whole area be set to antibuild.

16. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

That's just factually incorrect.
    Can't build in the lunar base map. Nor can you destroy and tunnel safe passage right to the mining device at the end.

SyntaxError likes this.
  17. teilnehmer

teilnehmer Existential Complex

I think, with the addition of "beam-to-player", this boss will work really fine in multiplayer. Your team is your checkpoint!
    I find it a little unfair to the singleplayers out there, because they'll have to run through the whole complex again.

Don't get me wrong: Dying should come at a penalty, but right now, the penalty is different for MP and SP, which is not fair. MP is way easier (because enemies don't scale), much faster (because you deal insame amounts of damage with more people) and you won't even have to run back where you died in case you do.

If this remains so, it really feels as if Starbound is trying to prioritize the game as a Multiplayer game, something I never thought they were going for in the past.

megakruemel likes this.
  18. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Void-Bound Voyager

It would probably be more useful to make comparisons if people comment who've played the level first?! It's hard as heck if you don't have great weapons. And actually, it is the first boss, so yeah, after a few runs it's much easier.

19. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Uhhh they had a casualty...

Tamorr and megakruemel like this.
  20. Image Not Available

Image Not Available Pangalactic Porcupine

IIRC it was stated a while back that the end goal for the game was MMO-style mass-PVP with guilds fighting over control of different planets, guild-specific space stations, etc. I never would have thought of Starbound as a game with such a multiplayer focus, but apparently it's the direction they decided to go in. :shrug:

PabloElPuas likes this.