Starbound Development Roundup #1

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Mar 31, 2015.

1. mollygos submitted a new blog post:

Starbound Development Roundup #1

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Lecic, Richtor, Razghul and 8 others like this.
  2. Is rather interesting on the video format, is more insider of what's going. Teleporters will be good, specially on multiplayer to create networks of custom planets you can visit. :D

Also #1 subscriber of Chucklefish on Youtube!

Titanium likes this.
  3. Grakiao

Grakiao Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I really love the video format of this! Keep doing them like this!

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Well a developer diary is always interesting and fun.
    I think the archaeologist should get a Prof X hover wheel chair.
    I also think the Archaeologist should be called Prof. G [ mix of Granny and Prof X ]

Anywho for those who don't want to see a 25 min video here are the important points below.

• Ship teleporter uses the new teleportation system
    • Outpost has a teleporter store next to penguin bay.
    • Crafting tables are now in the outpost
    • Teleporters
      • Teleporters are registered to a global bookmark - lets you teleport to any location where you registered the teleporter.
      • Teleporter variations are purely aesthetic
      • You can have multiple teleporters on a planet
      • You can teleport from underground now using a telporter.
      • When you break a teleporter you only get back a teleporter core.
    • New Terrain generation
      • Some caves lead to core of planet
      • Vertical cliffs
      • Ore deposit objects.
    • Challenge gates lead to challenge rooms [ won't be in next update ]
      • Platform challenges
      • Combat challenges
    • New Color UI
      • Inventory UI [ green ]
      • Crafting UI [ blue ]
      • Quest Related [ red ]
      • Codex \ Music [ yellow ]
    • After teleporter update is combat update
      • Combat update features
        • New death poofs
        • New hit sparks
        • Guns shoot faster - user energy faster - recharge faster
        • Common guns have tracer effect bullets
        • New damage type projectiles [ corrosive \ fire \ ice \ electric ]
        • Armor can buff damage of weapons [ lets you use starting weapons till endgame ]
        • Shotgun damage fixed [ was originally reducing each bolt of shotgun individually - now it adds up ]
        • Two handed weapons have secondary attacks
          • Example Ax can make you leap forward and attack
        • New Weapon names [ manufacturer names ]
    • Pets
      • Bowl will auto feed pet.
      • House lets pets sleep.
      • Pets are randomly generated. No plan to let the player design a pet
      • Possible plan to hide your pet if you don't want one

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    detrify, Grakiao, Chrona and 11 others like this.
  5. MrChow

MrChow Pangalactic Porcupine

0. Window borders need less colour. Right now they look way too bright and their colours are clashing with the rest of the interface.
    1. IMHO local teleporters should simply change the player's coordinates instead of unloading the world and loading it again.
    2. The engine needs serious optimization: starmap generation and initial universe generation taking extremely long to complete (2 minutes and 15 minutes respectively), not to mention the game constantly eats 100% of 2 cores of my quadcore Athlon II 620 2.8GHz. I believe you've never tested them on 6 years old CPUs nor modern Laptops, which has hardware equal to them (especially Intel Laptops), but I'll keep saying this again until someone will actually hear me.
    3. The current font which you've converted from raster pixel font contains redundant data (i.e. joints), which makes FreeType to struggle and seriously degrade the performance (not to mention your pixel artist screwed up when drew Cyrillic part of the glyphs). Users of my mod, which replaces the generated font with cleaned up and fixed version, reported 25% of speedup. I've asked two of your team to check it out, yet no response was given. Think about it, really. I couldn't care less about fixing someone's game for free - I just want to play normally on my hardware! >_<'

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Angelite191, detrify, Morzan and 2 others like this.
  6. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Video format is so much better than just normal Dev blogs, and I think the majority agree.

7. Treldent-02

Treldent-02 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

All these new feature's are looking really great! i'm deffinetely exicted for the update(s)!

8. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

xxswatelitexx, I don't care what they say about you, you are a gentleman in my book!

Thank you for being considerate of those (like me) who don't have the patience for the drawling nature of video.

9. So about the new combat stuff

I like that there is new combat stuff (the smiley icecube sprite is adorbs, btw) -- but one of my criticisms is not to go too ham on the cool effects being random for random weapons. Unless the game becomes WAY more focused on RNG loot systems with tons of possibilities spanning armor, weapons, techs, and effects -- RNG only serves to dilute the feeling of having the effect.

Let me try to reword that. Some Random Weapons should have Random Effects. So we encounter a good amount of interesting or wonky combinations. But there should be named items (Static Items) too -- that are always the same -- that have crazier (but always) the same effects. This way there is a balance between a loot-finding RNG system, and a static, named system.

Like (just for example) Exploding Frog Katana. Fires bouncing, exploding frogs when swung. You can find this sword. I can find this sword. It always has the same name, it always has the same effect. It can only be found on Jungle planets. Static items help make the planets and biomes more engaging and detailed, as opposed to finding "Random Name Random Effect Random Weapon", which creates a sort of disconnect between the players and the game.

tldr; please balance Random Weapons/Effects with the inclusion of Static Weapons/Effects.

detrify likes this.
  10. codebracker

codebracker Subatomic Cosmonaut

So Will the pets be in this update or the next one?
    I love the terain generation, and I Will be glad to try traversing the hillsides![DOUBLEPOST=1427830090][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Well they said there Will be legendary named items with special effects aside from the randomly generated ones.
    Sorry if I misunderstood ,but I think what you request is exactly what they anounced (except for it being in a set locations).
    They say that at 14;30 in the video.

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

They're already here.

12. DMPumuki

DMPumuki Void-Bound Voyager

Looks like a good idea, but subtitles will be nice ^^u

13. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

Man, this was so exciting! I love almost every single thing you've talked about—I feel even more confident than ever before that you guys can do this.

I'm really gonna miss my ~Throbbing Wooddude~, though.

sid3aff3ct and Kawa like this.
  14. ZallCaTor

ZallCaTor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

To hell with what the internet says about the Devs. They rock.

SP3CTR3, jpmrocks, sid3aff3ct and 2 others like this.
  15. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

"Armor will give damage, and weapon stats won't really change too much"
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    This is the best feature.
    No contest. The fact you won't have to trash weapons constantly is just amazing. I am curious, though, if the different damage types will mean anything aside from colorful numbers and stuff. Will all weapons have them? Will weapons of a specific type apply specific statuses? Or is it just something added that has little effect, aside from particles and damage color?
    but being able to carry weapons between tiers is the best thing about this. Improved cave gen is great, too, but weapons aren't eternally useless now as soon as you go to the next tier. Now all we need is some server stability work.

16. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

I still hope there'll come a time where you don't start the game with a pet, but instead "rescue" it from somewhere.

The resulting personal attachment (think Dogmeat from Fallout 3) would resolve the problem of people getting so annoyed by their existence that they stuff them into compartments in the wall, right?

17. DaedricShadow

DaedricShadow Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm really liking the idea of videos! They give more detailed and practical looks at how the game is changing and makes it so that I don't necessarily have to go into the game to see all of these new features.
    I hope you keep making these videos regularly!

18. goldenprimus

goldenprimus Void-Bound Voyager

I really like the idea of using videos for the Development Roundup. The videos definitely give an idea of what's been done better then a picture or a GIF. I hope there are more to come. Also, now that you described the Nova Kid pet, I really want to see it.

19. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

You can see the pets here
    http://starbounder.org/Pets

20. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

...This is progress...