19th March - The Colour(ful Inventory Windows) of Magic

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Mar 19, 2015.

1. mollygos submitted a new blog post:

19th March - The Colour(ful Inventory Windows) of Magic

2. SleepySquidd

SleepySquidd Tragically Magic Hands

Hurray, finally an update to the UI that involves color!

3. bbq1040

bbq1040 Big Damn Hero

The more fancier looking stuff in the game the better. The more items and craftable items in the game the better. If youre ever thinkng if you should add something the answer is always yes. The more things to play with the better.

4. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

I'd have the Avians yellow with red bits, then Glitch's UI should look a bit mouldy steampunk-ish.

5. Well colorful stuff is cute but... The real thing community would love is if you gave modders power over customize the GUI of starbound.
    There's things like the songbook GUI and the chat GUI that desperately need some love!

6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

"Scriptable GUI" sounds good to you? If yes, sit down and be patient. :)

7. ZallCaTor

ZallCaTor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ahh, refreshing. We need more of these nice aesthetic updates.... Thanks.

8. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

... this game realy needs a crafting system where you get to assemble your own weapons from parts... (I want to mix and match the handle's and heads to make my own weapon! Nowz! :p). Nice axe handles btw and the stacked windows showing up in different colors seems like a good idea.

devilanc, Starbeak87, R_C_A^ and 6 others like this.
  9. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Love the blue. Not fond of the green.

Tamorr, Legodude1237 and PabloElPuas like this.
  10. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

If it's possible for the community to choose names for the handles (handles for the handles?), I would like the two designs in the bottom right corner to be named "The Emperor's New Handles".

11. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Unless you meant something else, modders do have the ability to customize the GUIs in Starbound. Even the songbook and chat UIs have received mods in the past...

Tamorr likes this.
  12. skydart

skydart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nice colorful touch! Now those windows are nearly perfect! Of course it would be nice if they could remember their last positions :giggle:

PabloElPuas and 1nfinitezer0 like this.
  13. Dekadrachm

Dekadrachm Heliosphere

I been trying to make this, but I'm not sure what lua could be used to make it easier than making an item for every possible combination.

Starbeak87 likes this.
  14. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I'd hope the menu colors are customizable. That'd be super-helpful.

Tamorr, Wulf_Oman and PabloElPuas like this.
  15. ZallCaTor

ZallCaTor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Very true. Also, it'd be nice to have them appear in the same place you last put them, so you can easily keep your windows organized, instead of them appearing in the default place every time, which is very annoying. So, yeah, the UI is great, but needs some tweeks ot make it less frustrating to navigate. Colors are a good start.

rmcrowley2000 likes this.
  16. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

The colored windows look pretty weird to me.

17. Unclever title

Unclever title Cosmic Narwhal

I briefly mentioned it in a couple of retweets to Tiy but I'll mention it again here regarding the colored windows.

I've never had any trouble distinguishing stacked windows in Starbound, probably since the only times I've ever had stacked windows was when trying to scan items from my inventory in the 3D printer. It would be a different story if suddenly we could open multiple chest inventories at a time (granted, I don;t think I ever tried...).

What I have found annoying/confusing while playing but never thought to mention it until now, was how I'd accidentally hit the wrong key when trying to craft items at a crafting table.

I often hit 'C' instead of 'E' thus bringing up the crafting menu with only the basic "craft anywhere" recipes when I wanted to use the recipes on the table.

So this gave me an idea. Why not let the 'C' crafting menu check for nearby crafting tables and load those recipes as well? This can gives us one stop crafting if we put all our various crafting tables, forges, anvils, replicators, and spinning wheels near each other. If a player wants to see only "craft anywhere" recipes they can simply walk away from all crafting tables/stations.

The 'E' key functionality can remain the same for players who want to keep things segmented.

Anyhow, suggestion over. (Heck, I should probably actually post this in the suggestions thread come to think of it.)

Those axe handles are looking cool. Almost makes me want to use axes more often. Particularly those last two "handles" in that image :rofl: (Yeah I know that the game probably doesn't generate axes with invisible handles, but it'd be funny).

Edit: Thread made in the suggestions forum

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    Mackinz likes this.
  18. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Well, Inventory will stay in the last place you left it. It's just that if you open a storage device, the game moves the Inventory window for you.

I tend to push Inventory as far left as possible, as I juggle a ton of different items while building. The window will stay put no matter how many times I open or close it... until I use a storage device.

Tamorr likes this.
  19. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Am I misrememberin things or is that what Terarria does? Not that that's a bad thing, mind you...

PabloElPuas likes this.
  20. Unclever title

Unclever title Cosmic Narwhal

Hehe, I wasn't even considering Terraria when making that post.

But yeah, It totally does that. Granted last time I played Terraria (which was several months ago) it was still annoying to scroll through everything to find the thing you wanted to craft. Thankfully Starbound lets you search and sort recipes.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015