March 3rd - Pet Ship Boys

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by SamuriFerret, Mar 4, 2015.

1. SamuriFerret submitted a new blog post:

March 3rd - Pet Ship Boys

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

*looks at the title.*
    *looks at the calendar*

Seems legit...
    Aww yiss, I was hoping for a cute reptile to make me company as we travel throught space! :DD

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    Eternalmyst, Morzan, tedlil and 10 others like this.
  3. Ravager

Ravager Title Not Found

I'd say that the pet shouldn't be a mystery all the time. Perhaps, depending on your race (escape from imminent doom of home planet, exiled, ect) I'd say you brought your pet with you instead of leaving him/ her behind. I mean, I would. Great work so far, though! Keep it up!

4. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Existential Complex

Cool, but can a strap a gun to it?

5. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

Really hoping to see some depth to this AI. It really would be charming, if unnecessary in the grand scheme of things.

A little worried about how high-maintenance these pets might be. I don't want to spend the entire game thinking about what I'm going to give to my pet to keep it healthy or happy, especially if they're smart enough to entirely suspend my disbelief. Not too sure what a solution to that would be, though.

I think my fears partly have to do with being "forced" to have a pet from the beginning, instead of choosing to adopt one like with the creature Capture Pods.

Finding some poor thing wandering about in space, all alone, and deciding whether or not to take it along with me (whether it adopts me or I adopt it) on my voyages through space seems a lot more emotionally investing/motivating to me than being stuck with it from the beginning.

Just some thoughts.

6. Lokisan

Lokisan Phantasmal Quasar

SNAKES ON A PLANE!!!

7. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

Can humans get that tentacle monster in the logs?
    hahah
    Stupid question, I suppose.

8. WuppieF

WuppieF Void-Bound Voyager

Pets are going to be race locked right?

9. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

I think they said in the stretch goal you could pick one.

Alternatively, you can catch random monsters as pets.

Greenfinger and Royal_Starlord like this.
  10. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Aww, and here I was hoping that the pet in that screenshot would be a small, sentient pastry. After all, you've got Strawberry, so you just need to find some Shortcake.

Anyway, are players able to change the color of their pets? Without resorting to animal cruelty, of course.

Rossomak and Heartstrings like this.
  11. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Wonder if the Pet will be customizable in addition to selectable in an Interface not unlike the one for the Player's Character...?

Diggin the Sneaky Snake pet, but not likely to be a good fit for my Glitch. :p

Greenfinger, Rossomak and Colaymorak like this.
  12. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

world of warcraft added pokemon for some time ago and that was a succes so why not starbound too
    [​IMG]
    p.s i did,t make the comic

13. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

The pets are race based at the moment. You can probably capture them and move them to other ships though if you want. Here are the different ones currently:
    [​IMG]
    Original images courtesy of Garatgh Deloi here.

There is also this, which Metadept said was in the running against the piggy but somehow lost. Hopefully we'll get it another way.
    [​IMG]

14. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Not shown:
    orbis.png This little shit.

15. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

That Nova-fluff ish cute! Can't cuddle it though, as I might turn into a bluish star.

Greenfinger, Ravager and Titanium like this.
  16. PabloElPuas

PabloElPuas Pangalactic Porcupine

No because they put the nova-kids are truly loved that animal energy or so it was said long ago, could put a pet based on the theme of the American West, I would love it to be so.

Greenfinger likes this.
  17. ZallCaTor

ZallCaTor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I NEED one!
    But seriously, every time new content comes out a million uses for it in my show pour forth. I already have an idea. Thanks DEVS! You're the best!

Greenfinger and PabloElPuas like this.
  18. Prammus

Prammus Void-Bound Voyager

Snake? Snake?! SNAAAAAAKE!

Greenfinger, Rossomak, Morzan and 9 others like this.
  19. de_vipp

de_vipp Void-Bound Voyager

Pets only on Spaceship ?

Greenfinger likes this.
  20. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

Can you relocate his house and bowl? Or craft more to have more pets on the ship? Or carry the pet with you?

Axe Garian and PabloElPuas like this.