Landing Pads for homeworld.

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Bombzero, Aug 6, 2012.

?

Good idea?

1. yes

98.3%
  2. no

1.7%
  1. Bombzero

Bombzero Giant Laser Beams

As a random though, I was thinking about how if you had a homeworld, you may want to land your dropship in a specific spot on it, instead of the original one you landed at.

easy and aesthetically pleasing alternative would be to have a constructable landing pad, or a item (like flags or beacons) that can designate an area as a landing pad.

Simple, but felt it needed to be said.

2. banthesun

banthesun Subatomic Cosmonaut

I support this idea. It's probably already on the devs' agenda, but there's no harm in reminders in any case.

3. Bombzero

Kinda my thinking there, its likely they already thought of it, but just in case its not a bad idea to remind them.

AIex likes this.
  4. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

Would be useful for adventure maps, and aesthetically pleasing as well. Don't want to get your spaceship muddy by landing in a random field all the time, after all.

Hazardvb, 1John5vs7 and AIex like this.
  5. Bobot The Robot

Bobot The Robot Space Spelunker

Agreed. My assumption would be that once you decided to settle on a planet and call it your new "homeworld", that you would always have a certain spot you landed in with your ship, one that you could define by dropping some sort of one time use beacon. Or something like that.

1John5vs7 likes this.
  6. The Great Beezle

The Great Beezle Industrial Terraformer

Personally id like to drop more than just my ship down in one place, bringing down mechs and equipment/resources from the starbase would be neat too. Especially if i could pinpoint what goes where and make space for it.

1John5vs7 likes this.
  7. Half-Mod35

Half-Mod35 Space Penguin Leader

I say It should be Ingame! but what if you lose the platfrom from something?... well back to your drawing board:paper::mspaint:

1John5vs7 likes this.
  8. Kilo

Kilo Pangalactic Porcupine

It would be nice to be able to pick a specific place to land our dropship after we choose a world to settle. Maybe even build something along the lines of a garage type structure without a roof so we can land it in a safe section that's already connected to our outpost/home/fort/whatever we really wanted to build. This would be awesome!

9. Doomhunter

Doomhunter Void-Bound Voyager

I support this idea! Evil lair helipad ideas are now forming in my brain.

Kilo likes this.
  10. Kilo

Kilo Pangalactic Porcupine

Muahahahah... MUAHAHHAHAHA...MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

Now this is more like it! 8 D

creepwolf and TheAwesomeAvian like this.
  11. Meldazzar

Meldazzar Subatomic Cosmonaut

Make a landing spot at the bottom of a volcano... nice idea, but then again, I'd like controlled descents.

1John5vs7 likes this.
  12. wallespider56

wallespider56 Subatomic Cosmonaut

This would be by far one of the coolest objects or blocks to be added to the game. Imagine this say i had just finished a Hangar for my planet research lab and i could never land my ship in it. Then after some rescouce gathering and crafting i have made a landing pad that i put inside my hangar right under my retracting roof. EPIC no?

DrFlashbang, Aeryc and 1John5vs7 like this.
  13. Weiland

Weiland Big Damn Hero

I would *love* to see equipment and resources dropped from space. Airdrops are freaking cool. We need drop pads *and* landing beacons.

Aeryc and 1John5vs7 like this.
  14. Run Juan Run

Run Juan Run Big Damn Hero

sort of like a bed from terraria, but for a planet.

1John5vs7 likes this.
  15. iBanana 4S™

iBanana 4S™ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I never seen the point of these landing pad suggestions, being that you could have the drop ship hover over any safe land, and just jump off. Of course, the land would have to be a controlled area.

16. Bombzero

its mostly an aesthetic feature, that's why I also suggested a "Beacon" item you could place on your homeworld as well.

the idea was mainly centered around homeworlds where you may want to relocate where the dropship lands to an exact location that it would go to automatically every time.

17. Imnotdavis

Imnotdavis Big Damn Hero

That would be like a rally point, for equipment. Like a supply drop.

I think the idea of being able to land in that one place is a good idea because, if you build your main base thing on the entire opposite side of the world from the spawnpoint it would get annoying walking all the way back to your base.

18. Weiland

Weiland Big Damn Hero

Most importantly (to me), the players could requisition supplies from orbit and after several moments a drop pod would settle down at the landing pad. Those would be requisition ship landing pads. Or players could have landing pads where their ships could be docked, and also be given additional options for docked ships (repair, rearm, load and unload). You have no freaking idea how badly I want a terrestrial hauler and dropship where I can transport supplies and have minor fire support; a landing pad would be perfect.

Yes, it's partly aesthetic and partly functional, but aesthetics are KEY in a game like this. Sure, we can just streamline everything, but what's the point? Elaborate! I hope the pads come equipped with landing beacons, support pistons, control consoles - even advanced versions with a shielding array that automatically covers and protects docked ships from assault, environment, atmosphere, etc.

1John5vs7 likes this.
  19. TheItalianSon

TheItalianSon Cosmic Narwhal

Yea, I think I remember something about this being listed already. Still love the idea though :p

1John5vs7 likes this.
  20. Clad in Plaid

Clad in Plaid Cosmic Narwhal

Only if I can make crop circles that act as landing pads.

DrunkCrayon, Aeryc and 1John5vs7 like this.