8th July - Traveling through space and time!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Ordona submitted a new blog post:

8th July - Traveling through space and time!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2015
  2. Crystan

Crystan Maverick Hunter

Given the fact that the player have been probably cloned already over 100 times - not so spooky if you ask me. :D

Anyway, nice to see that the NPC interaction could result in some really interesting stuff. I wonder if they can even teleport to your ship or use the destinations you have in your bookmark list.

John5428, Auraknight, Zael and 5 others like this.
  3. SecretlyRiot

SecretlyRiot Void-Bound Voyager

Judging by the polite amount of vomit I would judge that it was, more or less, cloning. However that third lung should come in handy later.
    Glad to see everything progressing nicely though (still super psyched by the whole snow pile up thing).

4. Retr0

Retr0 Pangalactic Porcupine

Brain... Hurts... ><

Hedix likes this.
  5. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

NPCs......using teleporters......possibly teleporting on to my ship......sitting in my captains chair.......i'm stranded till they move

6. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Healthire posted a GIF of what happens when NPCs try teleporting without reading the manual: https://twitter.com/healthire_/status/618811838315237376

Some other news:
    Last night 2 more critters were added, a Yeti that spawns on Snow planets and a "Cliff" critter that spawns in Alpine mini-biomes (on Snow planets). Cliff seems similar to a Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep.

They also added Seismograph and a Snow Distress Beacon, which Katzeus added to the wiki. I'll be adding the critters soonish.

Other than that it was more work on the Underground Maze, Snow microdungeons, and the cave generation from yesterday's blog. Metadept actually clarified some things about the cave generation this morning:
    On the subreddit:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    Godbot, n1t3n, Hedix and 6 others like this.
  7. Pilchenstein

Pilchenstein Ketchup Robot

I'm really psyched for this update but will all of this new NPC goodness work with existing NPCs? Or will our town's guard still be trapped in a basement, unable to figure out stairs, shouting "YOU LOOK STRONG WE'RE FRIENDS NOW!" at passersby for all eternity?

Magical_Dinosaurs likes this.
  8. Retr0

Retr0 Pangalactic Porcupine

Control is key...

9. demanrisu

demanrisu The Original Agaran Menace NPC

Molly, please. You'll give the children nightmares.

Godbot, n1t3n, Jonesy and 2 others like this.
  10. justbeast

justbeast Industrial Terraformer

Waaait a second. The NPCs will use our teleporters? To go where? (The video in the post doesn't make it clear, at all...)
    Is this just decorative behavior, or will they have access to the same network of teleporters that we do?

John5428 and Hatsya Souji like this.
  11. Unclever title

Unclever title Cosmic Narwhal

Seismograph: Glitch Description: "Informed. This device is measuring local atmospheric levels"

Apparently not as well informed as he thinks. Or perhaps the Seismograph thinks it's a barometer or something.

Also it would be awesome/immersive if the ship computer could pick up the signal of those Distress Beacons either when going to that planet or maybe even from the stellar navigation menu. Probably best if restricted to when in orbit around a planet, otherwise you'd have a method for detecting one specific type of mini biome. Unless the ability to detect such things is planned further in the game.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  12. Magical_Dinosaurs

Magical_Dinosaurs Seal Broken

I like the face he makes when he's getting ready to tp and then after. It's like :DD that was fun! :DD

13. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

Where are they going, though? If they are going to the outpost, I think it would be cool if we see them there hanging out with other NPC. Or maybe they are doing their own little adventure. In that case I hope they give us some loot to pay rent. Or even better, maybe we get to meet them on our travel by a % chance, and they would follow us for a while to adventure! As long as they are not following us to their doom, of course. We need them to pay rent.

Talking about rent...I really hope we can charge them fee when we give them extra services and stuff like that. That teleporter is not cheap!

Magical_Dinosaurs likes this.
  14. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Look at the wiki page again, that's just a copied placeholder.

And yea, like many others have said, it would be nice to know how this is going to work. Where do the NPCs teleport? Right outside their structure? To the player's ship? A random planet from your bookmarks?

Would be nice to have some control over NPCs teleporting and flipping switches. Either locking them out or selecting where they teleport.

15. BaTTaLioN CHaoS

BaTTaLioN CHaoS Void-Bound Voyager

smells like a reference to "The Prestige" (2006), in which the bait was already used.

Simple to solve, put some security measures in place so they cant use it (like 2 buttons that are necessary to open the cockpit door)

Auraknight likes this.
  16. Auraknight

Auraknight Weight of the Sky

That comic fucked me up.
    jeezus.

17. Daldril

Daldril Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh how I love the fact, that we wont stumble into half-open caves every other "screen". But at the sametime, is it possible to generate at least some natural occuring cave-entrances? Not only man made caves like the mine on the starting planet but like caves which serve as houses to some scary monsters?
    (http://agrandesrasgos.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/fingals_cave_entrance_staffa.jpg f.e.)

18. kantey

kantey Void-Bound Voyager

Did that NPC vomit after he was teleported?

19. Will Liferider

Will Liferider Ketchup Robot

So what is the functionality of the teleporters in regards to NPC's? Or are they just to look cool?

20. glasspug

glasspug Phantasmal Quasar

Only Chucklefish can write a post with a video of someone puking & tell about how they may be murdering everyone, yet end their post with an exclamation mark.