December 5th - You must find balance!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Armagon

Armagon Gameplay Design, Sound & Dungeon Guy Chucklefish

Armagon submitted a new blog post:

December 5th - You must find balance!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Looks good. But I'll have to play it to get a better feel of how balanced that is.

3. Seems a legit change, i hope it doesn't forces us to stop shooting to let energy regenerate causing interruptions during combat.

Also the blog post is lagged my browser for quite some time trying to load the page. Something embed there going crazy? EDIT: 28MB GIF SIZE? :wot: :badpokerface:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  4. Exxil3d

Exxil3d Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wouldn't it be considered unfair to gun users that firearms and tech both draw their power from the same energy pool?

or will this be balanced to allow gun users to utilize both in battle?

Ttamage and Shadaw like this.
  5. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

only concern with this feature is the scenario where 2 gunners are going at it.

if two gunners lock energy will they just fling at each other with knives and then jump back to cover once all the energy is back?
    i will gladly give this a shot because it does sound fun in a strategic sense.

10/10 will balance again.

6. CaptThad

CaptThad Pangalactic Porcupine

I like the sound of this. The energy regen system in game was a pain. Was resting to restore energy more than health.

If they keep the armor setup they're working on now, then players will have an option between armors geared purely for defense, balanced between defense/energy, and geared towards high energy pools. If you're playing a character built around zoning/kiting, you're not gonna worry about the defense loss and gear up with the larger energy pools to compensate for your extra needs.

IIRC though, they might still be evaluating how techs are handled.

7. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

That sounds fun, yes.

8. OldNESJunkie

OldNESJunkie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

We'll have to play with it to see jut how it is, but it does sound good...

9. weirdee

weirdee Big Damn Hero

ah, the azure striker gunvolt system, I can work with that

can we get energy shields too, lol

Autzome likes this.
  10. Boris3445

Boris3445 Void-Bound Voyager

It still rocks that you guys are STILL making starbound the best game in the "Universe" even though there have been a bit of difficulty's. Keep it up![DOUBLEPOST=1417834525][/DOUBLEPOST]This game continues to be my top played and I got it during January, x D

Axe Garian likes this.
  11. SupertankerZambda

SupertankerZambda Void-Bound Voyager

Looks nice. How will this effect grappling hooks, mechs, and other vehicles?

12. Grenaid

Grenaid Void-Bound Voyager

No way, it's the Epona/carrot system :rofl:

Peelz and Burt360 like this.
  13. Rexxar_F3

Rexxar_F3 Space Spelunker

It seems good, I hope that it feels good too, the combat was one of the things that i was worried about in Strabound :unsure:

14. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Hahaha.
    The good old "whipping your bums with carrots to go faster" system.
    That's how I remeber Link spurring Epona to pick up the pace back in Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask. I just couldn't fathom why he used carrots to whip her in the rear end (young'un logic).

Suffice to say the implications weren't pretty...

LastDay likes this.
  15. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Now here's a question... are the NPCs gonna use this too? Because having guards who can fire a machinegun for ten minutes without a break is kinda...

Titanium, Morzan, Cenness and 11 others like this.
  16. SidCoalman

SidCoalman Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, finally.

It should be repeated AGAIN and AGAIN.

Balance, progression (and clear release targets) should be the top #1 priority right about now.

megakruemel likes this.
  17. RamenGaiden

RamenGaiden Title Not Found

I haven't played since nightlies were a thing but i should note that this type of energy regenerating system ruins a certain playstyle that I find adds a lot of fun to starbound. That is the bubble/butterfly dashing, before i could pulse these techs and basically achieve flight through skillful usage of the energy bar. I'm not sure if this kind of play is widely known by everyone here but it is incredibly fun and adds unintentional depth to the combat system so much so that i would say that it would be more beneficial if you got rid of energy requirements for certain movement techs (double jump, bubble, butterfly, super jump and anti-grav). However with the energy bar changes you have detailed, it would be impossible to achieve this kind of play because it required a constantly regenerating energy bar, so i'm asking that you guys reconsider this change or at least change how the techs rely on resources. Thank you!

Cenness, guyverlord, Shadaw and 4 others like this.
  18. NeoFoxx000

NeoFoxx000 Phantasmal Quasar

Hmm... this 'll pose quite the challenge for me. One the rare occasions that I play an FPS, I'm one of those rare players that empties a magazine before slamming the reload button.
    I hope so. I always found those particular enemies to be quite annoying.

Axe Garian likes this.
  19. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Oooh. That's a good point. That's how I reach my orbiting SOL on the homeworld... carefully-timed Butterfly Boosts.

Then again, I do mostly just use light taps to make it up, so if I just equip energy-pool armor for the flight....

Axe Garian likes this.
  20. RamenGaiden

RamenGaiden Title Not Found

That is one way to get around the new change, but that's only if you're going to a certain location. However I am talking about combat because you can use butterfly boosts to move in all directions around your enemy. So imagine a hard boss fight that you are undergeared for but have the skills to pull off the butterfly maneuvers. The boss would literally be unable to touch you because you movement is so free and you have precise control over it with fine tuned tapping. This feels incredibly fun for the combat because i feel rewarded from a skill i learned by myself and need a sustained energy refill rate to eventually defeat the boss. This kind of maneuver is much like wave dashing in smash bros melee (was not intended by the developer but once mastered it gave you an incredible advantage and you felt accomplished). I'm not saying that this change will ruin the game but I believe it may actually lessen the value and fun. In the grand scheme of things this is a little problem that may only apply to me or a select few but I hope the development team would read this and consider it for future balancing.

Ttamage, Cenness, Zael and 2 others like this.