November 14th - Now we're cooking!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Supernorn, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Supernorn

Supernorn Starbound Artist and Parallax Pixel Pusher Chucklefish

Supernorn submitted a new blog post:

November 14th - Now we're cooking!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Can we still starve to death? I mean getting boosts to health and running and jumping is really not mutually exclusive with starving?

AngryBogle, Higuera, Longpork and 6 others like this.
  3. I'm really excited for the concept of Buff Foods. I'm just curious how long the average buff will last. My personal preference is for buffs that are somewhat minor but last a really long time.

Ghostican, Type1Ninja and Mystify like this.
  4. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Wow! That's a lot of cooking recipes

Redtail9898 likes this.
  5. Lemuria

Lemuria Subatomic Cosmonaut

Wait. There iss coffee now?

Best change ever; worth waiting for new sstable, 10/10, A++++++++++++++++++, would buy again.

Higuera, Redtail9898, Blake81 and 2 others like this.
  6. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm just waiting for the update when we are able to sell all this cool stuff we can make.... ;D

Edit: Oh and the new backgrounds are making some of these planets just plain gorgeous.

7. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

New parallax layer looks amazing! It's one of those things that you don't realize you wanted until it's there :)

Xylott, Longpork, Naun and 2 others like this.
  8. Madzai

Madzai Phantasmal Quasar

I second this question. I heard hunger bar was removed and if now food yield buffs only (important for everyone, but not mandatory for survival) what about our "farmer" path? Or it was silently scrapped?

9. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

This news is food for thought.

Kawa likes this.
  10. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

You can't starve. The hunger bar is gone. All the relevant information has already been posted by the devs.

11. AstralGhost

What about being a farmer has anything to do with starving? That doesn't even make any sense.
    Farmers will make their profits from farming the crops. The rarer crops will obviously sell for more and therefore get you more profit once you have achieved that farming tier.

The only thing that was scrapped was the hunger bar and starvation - because it was unnecessary and cumbersome for the players.

Jbeetle and Zebe like this.
  12. Mystify

Mystify Void-Bound Voyager

I am hoping they can make this diversity in foods pay off.

13. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

When did I miss the fish dev diary?

14. TeddyBearYoshi

TeddyBearYoshi Subatomic Cosmonaut

I want hunger back.. it made this actually seem more like a survival game, or at least made it feel like you had to survive. It was immersive and made sense.. this is just too much like an RPG or Terraria for me. :(

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    Dashpenguin, Mero, eksynn and 15 others like this.
  15. Enbon

Enbon Void-Bound Voyager

:lickitung::cookie:
    Wouldn't mind hunger back but it just ran out to fast but I do love this farming wasn't fun until now!
    P.S. yay The stores will be working soon!

16. AstralGhost

It's a sandbox game, like Terraria.
    Starbound will never be a survival game. It was never intended to be one. This isn't Don't Starve.

So they are going in the right direction here. For everyone else there will always be mods.

Exxil3d and M_Sipher like this.
  17. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Hunger as a moddable option seems nice. But this new system seems perfect. Combined with the status effect system, we can see a use for some real cuisine and farms!

18. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

http://store.steampowered.com/video/211820?l=english

Hm. I'm not willing to coment further.

19. dpkramer88

dpkramer88 Void-Bound Voyager

@Supernorn
    I'm curious if I'm understanding this correctly... you say that eating food gives you a well-fed bonus which prevents you from eating anything else? I feel it would be better if you could only have one well-fed bonus at a time, where eating a new piece of food would replace the bonus that you had. I can understand how this could cause problems if food did things like "Restore 100hp, and then 1hp every second for two minutes", that could lead to spamming for sure. Two solutions to that could be either 1. Removing the burst recovery and raising/balancing the regen, or 2. Make the two benefits separate, for example, foods will give two status effects, a burst of some kind and a long, slow bonus, like the Heal and Regen effects, however you can't get the burst effect when you have the "Full Stomach" status or something. So you decide if you wait to get both effects, or only take the second bonus, as some situations may have you want to throw out one cuz you need the other.

I feel like restricting you being able to eat would make the system clunky, instead let us eat when we want, but make the effects less effective, incentivizing waiting for an "empty stomach".

Royal_Starlord and jonathonspy like this.
  20. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

So they actually went and removed it. How disappointing. There goes one aspect I liked all because some people whined about it

Ping, Mero, eksynn and 13 others like this.