September 8, 2014

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by kyren, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyren

kyren kyren

kyren submitted a new blog post:

September 8, 2014

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Zael, Axe Garian, Chompy and 5 others like this.
  2. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

uh oh, don't be throwing out "working really hard on patching to 1.0" phrases or there will be mayhem

good job. it all sounds wonderful. the capabilities of the status system sounds wonderful, especially when modders get their hands on it.

I still say you have a status that shrinks people down and allows them to enter the tiny houses.

3. Oh, you know the community. There will be mayhem regardless.

In other news, I'm very curious to hear about the new status system. The current one is very simple and boring, and diversity like status effects and modifiers are one of the things I've always thought that Starbound needed a lot more of.

Kreuz Drache and Feathery Dust like this.
  4. BrakSampson

BrakSampson Big Damn Hero

So...you guys want to sell us another game?
    Without completing the one that we already paid for?
    Did...any of our preorder money for Starbound go into developing this game?

5. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

1. yes
    2. yes
    3. yes

glad I could help.

Philippe Houle likes this.
  6. BrakSampson

Seems a tad unethical to me. As an early backer last year, I thought I was paying for just Starbound. Not paying for a games publishing company's start up cost.
    I would have waited for 1.0 if I had known my money would be spent this way.

7. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

As an early backer, your money was probably already well spent before this game existed.

Cloudhopper and Peelz like this.
  8. mizukaru

mizukaru Phantasmal Quasar

Now if only chucklefish could finish their one game that shouldn't be in beta for over a year! yaaaaay progress!! (I feel cheated out of paying them pre-order bonuses)

I feel this way everyday I see starbound getting nowhere. I work in the game industry, and dragging your supporters over a year of "promises" and beta is the WORST thing a company can do to it's supporters.

9. BrakSampson

Must have happened in the eight months between when I paid them, and when I got the beta to play. It's nice to support companies that you believe in early on. When they can get the help that they need.

bluechaos27 likes this.
  10. mizukaru

the biggest problem is this: since starbound already made it's millions from the pre-orders, they have the lack of incentive to finish their project due to the fact that it will no longer produce revenue for them. They basically scammed us with promises, and are now using our money for their other projects. (which they will probably do the same thing as starbound)

With the 4 Million dollars they made with such a small handful of people, you would think that money would be well spent on the game that was promised that was MADE with that money.

What do they do? they move to Europe, build about 3 other games, and probably have 2 people working on Starbound.
    I consider Chucklefish as one of the biggest scam companies of this century.

inb4 my posts get deleted because they don't want the common person to realize their secrets.

11. Speed Lightning

Speed Lightning Phantasmal Quasar

This sounds really nice, Kyren! I look forward to a new stable version. However, I recommend against having too many individuals multitasking in terms of projects, as this may cause one game or the other to be incomplete.
    I have two questions:
    1) How will the heat status system work when it comes to cooling, as opposed to the cold status when heat is needed?
    2) How will save files from the current version work with the new one, due to the massive number of changes to current items?

Beatrice likes this.
  12. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

and there are illuminati triangles everywhere, too.

13. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Wayward Tide sounds really awesome and I'll definitely buy it, it's just that after being spoiled by Starbound with an infinite universe where we can boldly go where no one has gone before and be super awesome it's hard not to read the bit about five islands and think "that's it?". It's just so hard to all of a sudden be locked in this relatively small portion of a planet after having a go at an infinite universe I'll be playing for years(along with No Man's Sky).

It's nice to get a new stable version of Starbound and all but with the 1.0 so close on the horizon it's hard to contain the excitement about it.

14. BrakSampson

Yup. That's why they are rushing out 1.0 as quick as they can. So they can free their company from a resource sinkhole that they can't profit off of any longer.

http://www.steamcharts.com/app/211820#All

Beatrice, Luinithil and bluechaos27 like this.
  15. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

This is silly....most people underestimate the fact that once the game actually launches, sales and players will skyrocket like never before. Not to mention the last stable update was in March so by this point everyone interested in playing the Beta are just waiting for release but Beta sales are always just a tiny fraction of what the final game will sell. Nobody at Chucklefish is panicking or cramming it out the door because a very early beta from over six months age isn't topping charts....that is normal and expected. They made a conscious decision to shift from releasing stable versions so they can do more towards making the final game better and nothing about their schedule indicates they are cutting any corners.....or are you missing the fact they are rebuilding entire systems from the ground up to make them better and plan to support the game with updates long after launch?

Not to mention that since no stable updates were recently released a lot of players are just playing offline and not being tracked by Steam.....like me. I have no reason to connect my gaming PC to the internet right now so I don't.

16. mizukaru

Every time I see them make a post about a new game, I just laugh. Here in Seattle, we use Chucklefish as a "What not to do in the industry" Metaphor all the time.

17. johny17202

johny17202 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you were curious about the 1.0 so close comment, from the chucklefish blog "We’re going to be releasing a stable update once the tech tree can be progressed through from start to finish, after that we’re going to be focusing on finishing up this todo list for 1.0. Which we are aiming for this year, but could go into next" I'm hoping to see it by December, but I expect to see it by at least March 2015, it's funny though BrakSampson that chart kind of coincides with around the time they decided to move to Europe and the updates went to the new model.

Now I've been positive up to this point and hell I'm still positive the ideas behind the game look awesome, but you can't shake how awful this development has been. Hell the most recommended positive review on steam, the author stated they'd pretty much given up on it. Just because I was curious I went and look back at the Steam store page I'm not sure when Chucklefish changed what they had to say about it, but those are definately different quotes about it's early access than what got me to buy it.

Back to the main topic I've been watching Starbound for quite a while wandered through these forums for a while saw the censorship, backlash, and all the fun things that come with Chucklefish. Don't buy into this new game until they actually finish their original game that made them what they are.

18. guyverlord

guyverlord Big Damn Hero

"Next week, once metadept and I are both in the office, we’re going to start focusing very very hard on getting a new stable patch out, with all the save file compatibility fun that will go along with that."

Fantastic! My buddies and I are really looking forward to that.

19. gr4yz0n3

gr4yz0n3 Pangalactic Porcupine

"Development on Wayward Tide is *entirely* parallel with Starbound, a whole separate team in fact with Palf as the programmer."

you know what triggers your fanbase.

20. Hebephryo

Hebephryo Phantasmal Quasar

Not another game. Please,finish Starbound first.
    It was so promising,but I still prefer "T" game over Starbound. No offense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.