August 18th - More Manipulation

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Aug 18, 2014.

1. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

metadept submitted a new blog post:

August 18th - More Manipulation

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

YES! FINALY, God i love you guys!

3. Carryall

Carryall Big Damn Hero

This was a mod suggestion that definitely felt like it should be main game material. I wonder if there will be a trade-off? Perhaps the manipulator needs fuel whereas other tools don't. Just to give you options and fight redundancy, I suppose?

4. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

This is really nice! I'm glad that metadept also agrees that manipulation is always the best course of action.
    (spoiler: this is completely out of context and probably untrue)

Arlei likes this.
  5. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

I would assume that the drill's would be faster but not be able to dig as large a area = You will use the drills for hard stuff (obsidian for example) but the Matter Manipulator for the basic stuff (like dirt and stone for example).

Off course thats just a assumption/guess.

benignInferno and Zael like this.
  6. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

Well this will certainly make people happy. Well done!

Arlei and Finn Learson like this.
  7. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Let there be an optional MM that's designed for lunar mining, or for blaststone clearing

8. Wulf_Oman

Wulf_Oman Existential Complex

I hope all the aspects are separate, as I like the Matter Manipulator for getting things in small spaces or a distance away, but more speed is always an improvement.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  9. Lintton

Lintton Guest

:sees the 3x3: yes!
    :sees the 3x3 dig better: Oh yes, yes!
    :sees the 4x4: aaaaahhh!
    :sees the 5x5:

It takes a lot to get me to squee in public, well done sir!

10. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Existential Complex

Mother of god..

11. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes.
    Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes.
    YesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesYesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesYesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesYesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes!
    ... This... Is something that is definitely worth making awesome.
    Gratz.

12. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I think matter manipulator should be an all purpose tool.
    But not "all powerful"

A specialized tool should always be more powerful then an all purpose one. As an all purpose tool needs to compensate strength for diversity of features.

13. Doctor Devil

Doctor Devil Big Damn Hero

First things first: love the change.

And now when I can freely whine: In my opinion, you guys could even go for something realistic here. The other digging tools (so pickaxes and drills) effectiveness will vary dependant on the materials hardness (which is obviously already implemented), however the Matter Manipulator should manipulate all materials at the same speed. Since what it does (or more like: what it looks like in the game), it uses some kind of fision process to separate the particles of the block. Thus - the materials hardness is highly irrelevant.

And if we now will be able to upgrade the Manipulator - why not implement the thing mentionned above? Even the balancing doesn't look hard - the start speed should be the same as trying to dig Obsidian with a coper pickaxe (once more - no matter if we dig obsidian, dirt or sand), and the end speed should be equal to digging sand with the pickaxe.

Then the Manipulator would be used to get past harder materials, while not completelly replacing drills - which would still be better at digging in dirt.

14. lividust

lividust Starship Captain

i like that 5x5 it should help me on my war on stone and dirt

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  15. _BIO_

_BIO_ Phantasmal Quasar

Upgrade manipulator!!! :)

16. Prop

Prop Subatomic Cosmonaut

First off, this is awesome.

Secondly, why not make it possible to use the manipulator as a weapon? It could slowly whittle down an enemies health in a way much like the way it mines blocks, and upgrades to its digging power could make it do more damage, and faster. Much less energy then normal guns, but only limited range of the manipulator, and it doesn't do much damage at low levels.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  17. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

YES!!! SO MUCH YES!!!!

For once I have nothing else to add besides YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS!!

This guy here gets it. In fact, I'd like to add that there's really no reason why a Matter Manipulator shouldn't be able to use the matter it manipulates as a thrown object, like shooting chunks of dirt, wood or stones at a target. X3X3
    I'd take that over some crappy sword any day.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  18. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

This. @metadept, I hope you're paying attention. :p
    Also, this.
    EDIT:
    Also, This.
    (Last one, I promise!)

Drawfire likes this.
  19. Mondai

Mondai Title Not Found

This. Or at least, something similar. I see the Matter Manipulator as more of a futuristic mining-based swiss army knife - it can handle small jobs in a pinch, if you don't have any better tools, but if you have an array of hunting knives, you don't need to use your pocket knife. Why use the screwdriver head on your swiss army knife if you've got a real screwdriver right beside you? If you have a pickaxe, put the pocket knife away.

It makes sense if it's a last-resort tool that you pull out of your ship's storage after you crash, or that you pull out of your pocket when your pickaxe just snapped in half. And that's what I'd like to see it used as, personally.

The | Suit and Kittails like this.
  20. CoralToast

CoralToast Master Chief

Huh. Interesting viem on MM purpose. I always thinked that it must be high-power precision tool or something like that. Good work anyway and thanks for making even small parts of the game even better.