July 18th Progress - Performance!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Tiy submitted a new blog post:

July 18th Progress - Performance!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  2. Stu and Improved

Stu and Improved Spaceman Spiff

Oh, that's nice.

3. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Lovely, but it's still making me wonder if this really does mean that it will be an actual 1.0, performance/bugs and all, with the next update, rather than the 3 phase system.

4. matheod

matheod Big Damn Hero

Yea ! Thanks !

5. Zauber Paracelsus

Zauber Paracelsus Pangalactic Porcupine

Does this work include anything for particle systems, specifically with weather effects? Those were always the worst performance hogs in experience, and the sand/dust storms on desert and arid planets was so bad that they became unplayable.

6. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Sweeeet!

Any time frame on when y'all are getting it all packaged up into a stable build?

Doctor Devil, KeesDeNeger and PabloM like this.
  7. Zeoinx

Zeoinx Phantasmal Quasar

Sounds interesting, Ill have to switch to the nightly build, but i remember once i tried, i couldn't beam to a planet because i didn't have a beam axe.
    If someone can tell me whats up with the beam axe thing, ill greatly appreciate it.

Also, I never had issues with weather, with the exception of rain washing away items, like my Fireplace for smelting inside my house when i opened the door, and some light sources, like a town light thing, Cant remember the actual name though.

8. elusiveTranscendent

elusiveTranscendent Pangalactic Porcupine

Whoo! Awesome! I can't wait until it's in the stable release! -w-

9. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Hmm,the 3rd stage of optimization seems a bit strange now,seeing as you just optimizedthe game to quite a extent.(Though more optimization would be lovely,if possible:V)

Wich on itlself is amazing,btw!

Too bad Rakujo will persish...

Bah,itl be worth it:p

10. ZoraZ

ZoraZ Title Not Found

Performance!!
    More performance!!
    I love performance!!

KeesDeNeger likes this.
  11. Nymall

Nymall 2.7182818284590...

Good to hear. I look forward to trying it.

12. Cmiller

Cmiller Void-Bound Voyager

My nightly update hasn't come in yet, but when it does I'll let you know of any performance boosts to my game, specifically on higher resolutions and zoomed out. Performance updates are always nice, and is a leading priority of my when choosing any game. Keep up the good work :). Cheers!

13. Starboundbyboundedstars

Starboundbyboundedstars Void-Bound Voyager

@Tiy Please, please, PLEASE, release this performance update as a separate update completely. I want to try nightly, I really do, but I'm afraid I'll screw everything up somehow. Releasing this new engine as an official update would make my day. This will make me believe you're working, not that I think you aren't. Thanks!

khalismur likes this.
  14. NonBritGit

NonBritGit Cosmic Narwhal

Sounds like great progress! These nightlies are the best thing you guys have done for us.

15. TrueHarlequin

TrueHarlequin Void-Bound Voyager

++

Would love a real build, haven't played in months...

16. OldNESJunkie

OldNESJunkie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For the beamAxe issue, all I did originally was to repair the ship first then set the planet as home, then click the Teleport Home button, seemed to work OK for me anyways.

17. Zerbyte

Zerbyte Title Not Found

Trying it now, not sure how to open the command line to check the stuff though.
    And still don't know if I should run it normal or the OpenGL one heh.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  18. dgm

dgm Phantasmal Quasar

Looking forward to try this.

edit: where's my grammar?

19. JoniSusi

JoniSusi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

And it hits the stable when? I haven't touched SB in months, which is a shame.

20. Ace6097

Ace6097 Poptop Tamer

Nice! keep up the good work guys! Anyway does anyone know if u can play the nightly like a normal game and not be invincible or be in a creative mode state? I kinda wanna see what it would b like when the next stable update is released.

khalismur likes this.