Yet Another Spawn Point Suggestion

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Bonabopn, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

Okay, so many people want moveable spawn points (myself included), but no-one seems to have come up with the same idea as me, so i thought i'd make a thread for it. c:
    Here's how my idea works:
    • You can only teleport up to your ship when you're under it, within a diameter of 20-30 blocks. (Because it's too easy to escape a fight by just warping up to your ship!)
    • When you're not under your ship, your 'Teleport' button changes it's function to "Call Ship". When you press it, your ship will start to make it's way towards you (or above you anyway), over time. I'd say it'd take about 10 seconds - 1 minute, depending on how far away from it's previous location you are. You can press it again to cancel this.
    • Your spawn point will be where you left your ship last.
    • The ship will go to where you pressed the button, not where you're going, so don't go wandering off!
    But what about other players' ships? That'll need some change too; other players shouldn't be able to bring your ship over to them without permission! So here's what i'm thinking:
    • Players can only teleport up to another party member's ship if they're under it (and on the same planet obviously) within a diameter of 20-30 blocks.
    • Players can ask for permision to summon another party member's ship over to them. You could be in your ship and have your friend bring you and your ship over to some ruins they found!
    • Oh no, your friends have suddenly betrayed you and abandoned you on this planet! That's okay, though. Pressing your 'Teleport' button will ask you if you want to bring your ship to this planet; it'll still take fuel though! Unless you don't have enough fuel. In which case, your ship will take much longer to arrive. Also, your friends suck and you should probably get new ones.
    The reason for the ship moving taking such a long time is because using warp speed to go around a planet is dangerous, a waste of fuel, and you'd probably overshoot!

Okay, so what do you guys think? c:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  2. OmniGeoff

OmniGeoff Weight of the Sky

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405174272.486937.jpg
    Ay there, this is a good mechanic!
    Creepypasta poser out~
    I think this would be a very good mode if your looking for a challenge. (Like a harder game mode.)

3. Bonabopn

Tbh i don't think this idea makes it a 'challenge', just that you can't teleport out of fights (Think of the pvp!) and you can't teleport to your friend halfway across the galaxy. If anything, all this does is remove some easy shortcuts.

4. OmniGeoff

OmniGeoff Weight of the Sky

It sounds like it could be an option for some PVP-survival servers. But I see where you're going with this!
    Should there also be a range of where you can beam up to the ship rather than directly under it? (Configurable range?)

5. Bonabopn

Well, by "directly under" i guess i mean more of a 20-30 block radius or something? The devs could work out the details.

6. Biggest problem with this is that you could potentially be stuck on a planet, well, forever.

7. Bonabopn

Yeah, i couldn't think of a good idea for what would happen if you had no fuel. Maybe it'd take as much fuel as it could? Or maybe it'd take longer to arrive? Or you could, y'know, just die or relog.

8. I'd say taking more time to show up seems fair.

9. Bonabopn

It's okay, YASPS. I still love you, even if everyone else has forgotten about you. *hugs the thread*

Seajun_ likes this.
  10. Bonabopn

Why thank you, stranger! I am glad you like my idea. c:

11. Bonabopn

(Continued from another thread)
    How about you tell your party members manually to stop asking for your ship? They have their own ship that's perfectly usable. If they won't stop requesting it, then kick them from the party!
    Also, i feel like i should mention summoning a party members ship wouldn't be necessary to actually board their ship, you could still do that if you're under it.

12. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Another annoyance I'd have to put up with, which is what I've been trying to avoid in the first place.

How about teleportation proxies?
    Say you want to beam to your party member's ship. Neither yours or your party member's are in range. Instead of pestering them for permission, how about using your ship's teleporting device as a proxy to their ship? This way all you need to do is call your own ship, and when it is in range, it will bounce your signal to their ship, thus taking you there. It is a more streamlined solution to that point, IMO.

It still requires you to have a ship in range, but you don't have to "ask for permission", since you already are a party member.

13. Bonabopn

is the added two seconds and one button click it would take to request permission from someone really too much of a waste of your time? would you really be so desperate as to forego asking before you summon someone else's ship?

14. BloodyFingers

You are not factoring the time it would need to wait for permission to come back. And would you want to add an extra two seconds and one button click to the process when you can accomplish the same in less time?

Bon, please address the suggestion. I'm not attacking you personally or saying that the whole idea is bad. I'm just trying to improve on it.
    It is a suggestion after all. You can take it or leave it...

15. Bonabopn

i don't understand what you mean by "address the suggestion". Isn't that what i was doing? s:
    And i know you're not attacking me personally, it's okay i don't hate you c:

16. BloodyFingers

You sort of started to make assumptions about me, implying I am too impatient to put up with two seconds and a button click.
    What I meant by "Address the suggestion" is: I made the following suggestion
    What do you think about it? Like it? Dislike it? if so, why?
    In fact, I think it makes sense that everyone on a party should have their teleporters linked to each other. This way you don't even need your own ship, any party ship can be used a proxy to all other ships. What this means is, you can teleport to any party ship, so long as one of them is in range.

17. BloodyFingers

You sort of started to make assumptions about me, implying I am too impatient to put up with two seconds and a button click.
    What I meant by "Address the suggestion" is: I made the following suggestion
    What do you think about it? Like it? Dislike it? if so, why?
    In fact, I think it makes sense that everyone on a party should have their teleporters linked to each other. This way you don't even need your own ship, any party ship can be used a proxy to all other ships. What this means is, you can teleport to any party ship, so long as one of them is in range. But if you think that makes it too easy for cheesing out of combat, then make it so you can only use your ship when your targeted ship is out of range.

For the record, I don't particularly hate that point. I just think it could get annoying for some over time (Not necessarily me) and it could be made better.

Bonabopn likes this.
  18. Bonabopn

I think that is a good idea, but i do not think it should replace summoning other players ships, rather it can be used as a different route. You might've left your own ship at an important location and didn't want to lose where it was.

19. BloodyFingers

hmm. Fair enough.
    But someone will have to move their ship, one way or another. If neither is willing, then tough luck.

Bonabopn likes this.