July 11 - Big Birds

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Jul 11, 2014.

1. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

metadept submitted a new blog post:

July 11 - Big Birds

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. skydart

skydart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That is one big bird for sure, and an angry one... oh well, more pain - more gain. :viking:

Serenity and JoeBlk like this.
  3. Inco

Inco Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]

Big bird approves of the changes.

4. Blue Hair

Blue Hair Phantasmal Quasar

Is the way large flying monsters attack going to be changed up any, because from the looks of that .gif they're a little ineffective at the moment.

5. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Jesus,that one big Birdy,eh?

Gonna give some chalenge for sure,well detailed and a great new adition.

Looking nice guys,looking nice

JoeBlk likes this.
  6. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

bigger and MORE DETAILED!?... wait bigger sprites can have more details than smaller sprites ? D::::: [MIND=BLOWN]

[​IMG]

Ytterbium_70, Ado, IvoryOwl and 4 others like this.
  7. Konsai

Konsai Title Not Found

That bird .. twice the size, ten times the death .. from above.

Serenity and JoeBlk like this.
  8. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Will this scaling work above sea level as well as below it?

Serenity, Thundercraft and JoeBlk like this.
  9. kottadragon

kottadragon Void-Bound Voyager

yea more new stuff!

JoeBlk likes this.
  10. Drakearth

Drakearth Phantasmal Quasar

Hmm this is certainly a Bold statement now, at least i know there will be more diversity.

JoeBlk likes this.
  11. Cost

Cost Subatomic Cosmonaut

Pretty big bird indeed. Cool stuff again Meta ;)

JoeBlk likes this.
  12. Lintton

Lintton Guest

One thing I noticed in the choppy gif is that birds don't fly back or fall helplessly stunned when hit. That's good to see. Will there be variations on the timing/persistence of their attacks? I think that can go a ways towards making fights against different birds more varied.

13. Yay combat balance!

JoeBlk likes this.
  14. SweenMachine

SweenMachine Big Damn Hero

Please don't make all small monsters weak and large monsters strong! Exploring the galaxy should be all about surprises and the creatures you encounter should be no different!

15. Brassqund

Brassqund Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

16. Milo

Milo Void-Bound Voyager

I really hope this means the possibility of DRAGONS. X3

Showbiz, UndeadRuckus and JoeBlk like this.
  17. Silvernis

Silvernis Master Chief

18. Ponjkl

Ponjkl Subatomic Cosmonaut

"And we’ve removed projectile attacks from the small flyers to compensate."
    Thanks god!!!

Showbiz, Galactic Avatar and JoeBlk like this.
  19. janusforbeare

janusforbeare Phantasmal Quasar

Does this mean that individual monsters will be persistent across a planet's surface? Adding a lifecycle to the mobs would seem to require that they don't despawn when offscreen. Similarly, if you institute the evolution system, will monsters be "born"? Or will they simply spawn in?

In some ways, persistent monsters could be very cool. It would mean that there would be finite monsters of each species, which opens up plenty of new opportunities:

• Depopulating a species
    • Monster types with higher populations moving into the territory of lower population species (ie. nocturnal monsters coming out during the day, subterranean monsters emerging from the depths, etc.)
    • Monster types that have moved into new territory adapting or evolving to their environment in some way (colour shifts, immunity to poison/lava, etc.)
    • The ability to bring in foreign species from other planets to repopulate a dead world
    • The ability (for the devs) to create living ecosystems, with food chains and whatnot
    Not sure if that's in the cards, but a system like this seems well suited to the whole terraforming mechanic that's planned for the future. Plus, it'd be nice to be able to populate your homeworld with cool-looking passive species.

20. velkos4ever

velkos4ever Void-Bound Voyager

nice.but i have a major question i wanted to ask about something else.can flying creatures and mini bosses be captured and having them as pets? :)

Showbiz and JoeBlk like this.