July 10th Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Armagon

Armagon Gameplay Design, Sound & Dungeon Guy Chucklefish

Armagon submitted a new blog post:

July 10th Update

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

This is awesome!

Alaskadou likes this.
  3. Lemuria

Lemuria Subatomic Cosmonaut

Floran likess underground sstuff. Floran found a building the other day. Floran iss no xenoarcheological expert, but assumes it wass the remainss of a tasty civilization.

Shador, GMark, Blake81 and 4 others like this.
  4. Damuranashi

Damuranashi Existential Complex

I can't believe even that guy has his own place... even if it is underground...

5. skydart

skydart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This daily update, even a small one, is really good to have! For me its a sign that you guys just have a heart for your community. Thanks and keep up the good work :up:

Xxen13, Proydoha, dhxmg and 3 others like this.
  6. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Nice,performance boost,Furniture rrefinement,and extra random structures!

Verry nice indeed!

7. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Armagon steps up to the plate: Home Run!

Thanks for the update. Performance improvements, lighting, monsters, and more microdungeons, this is great news! Keep up the good work!

8. reversePsychologist

reversePsychologist Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't mind racial mini-buildings but what I'd like more is more good-looking natural structures.

I know it's not easy to do in a 2D game, and in fact I can hardly provide any specific suggestion, but (at least to me) what made it interesting to dig and even just explore the surface in, say, Minecraft, was that "wow, that structure looks badass, I'd like to build a house around it without changing it much", or underground I'd find a cave and decide it looks "comfy" enough to put furniture in it and claim it as mine.

Instead of adding new tiles, biomes or structures (of which we'll get tired pretty easily anyway save for (and if they have) any kind of reward), I say try and generate a bit of variety in THAT to the extent to which you can. I don't know, make a pre-constructed little inhabitable cave that one may not even notice is not part of the terrain gen! Make a dug-out spiral pattern that makes me wonder "maybe some kind of alien ant dug this pattern? it looks nice" but without ever showing me.

Also if you have to make cool structures or structures that yield something significant such as treasure make them spawn lower: make me want to dig!

9. SupertankerZambda

SupertankerZambda Void-Bound Voyager

Are those underground NPCs?

I found that Floran microdungeon whilst mining today. Thought it was really cool to see it when it was only implemented 2 days ago. Nightly updates are the thing for me!

10. Ashen

Ashen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have a few ideas... No particular order just straight off the top of my head which is not really saying much. lol

• It would be cool to stumble on some long forgotten civilization underground. Take some structures and scruff them up with flora and make them a bit dilapidated and stick them underground would be cool.

• Also have some things that tell a story (visually) like perhaps a UFO that is buried deep deep underground.

• Or for those that are observant find some remains of old explorers and some of their stuff and or logs.

• Perhaps even creating a new type of background that seems to make large caverns even more cavernous when you find them (but have them rare) accompanied with sound effects that add in echos to your mining, and or footsteps.

• Some planets you could even put in an old railway (aka the rail mod you guys integrated) that is falling apart that spans a few kilometers east/west that has broken bits and cave-ins to navigate around or through.

• Also underground water/lava falls really bring a sense of majesty to an underground biome if at all possible. Could just be done by using the background perhaps I don't really know but waterfalls are a must have underground.

• Oh another thing is to have a way to implement cave ins so it seems a bit more dangerous while underground as of right now it doesn't seem so dangerous. This brings me to another thing that could be implemented...

• Unique underground mini bosses. The kind that really makes you more claustrophobic than one would already be.

Anyway, so far I like the direction you are headed with bringing more life to the subterranean places keep it up!

11. Doyp

Doyp Void-Bound Voyager

What would I like to see underground? Well, Mole People, obviously.

Peelz, MilkCalf, willpill35 and 2 others like this.
  12. the Lupanian

the Lupanian Void-Bound Voyager

An alien hive like in the movie Aliens would be cool, maybe a portal that takes you too a different planet , extra dimensional dungeon or space station/satellite would be cool

13. Joe Cuppa

Joe Cuppa Space Spelunker

Gemstones the size of a car. Just stuck in the ground.

14. Ace6097

Ace6097 Poptop Tamer

So was this a nightly update? Does anyone know when the next official update is gonna be? I'm exited for what is to come, but I don't like playing the nightly stuff.

willpill35 likes this.
  15. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Moar stargates are always welcome in my book.

As for what I would like to see underground? hmm...

Surprise me.png

16. DoctorShaggy

DoctorShaggy Void-Bound Voyager

Just a few random ideas:

Maybe some sort of old teleporter accident, with some structure half stuck in the rock. Not sure how easy that would be to represent without seeming like a world gen glitch, though.

An alien room carved into the fossilized bones of some massive alien creature.

A random subterranean shop with unique items.

A mineral drilling rig for one of the races.

A crazy old prospector wandering the underground tunnels, looking for gold or other precious minerals (might go better with the eventual Novakids)

A hidden surveillance outpost of one of the races deep underground, with all sorts of monitoring equipment.

A secret temple of the cultists buried in the rock.

17. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

Underground tunnelwork. Whatever can be done to explain the existence artifacts deep down in there.

Now, I know the game's not meant to be hyper-realistic, but I have to say I'd appreciate some sort of vague explanation for why things are.

Types of underground tunnels, concrete, organic, or otherwise, come across to me as very cool.

18. Kanon

Kanon Void-Bound Voyager

I want to see some old decrepit ruins, some but not all may harbor secrets both good and evil, others holding, or imprisoning ancient and deadly monsters. Secondly, Kinda going of of the Events of Super Metroid, but I want to come across some of these imprisoned monsters that upon death trigger world self destruction, or something that forces you to grab your loot and run for the hills.

19. coldsquid

coldsquid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wanna find giant monsters underground! I want a bosses that are rare to find, super tough, entirely optional, and super huge! Kinda like Kraid from the metroid games!

20. Ponjkl

Ponjkl Subatomic Cosmonaut

Some kind of abandoned bunker full of graffitis ("They said they would come back!")
    A very safe prison
    A lab with clues that tell about something horrible that happened there

EDIT: You should make more objects that can only be found on the underground (like in the treasure dungeon), most of the underground objects don't drop (spikes, decorations, tinyhouses) or only give pixels, that is sad fact for the collectors :-(
    Imagine big crystals glowing, fossils, and more things, or even plants that can only be found on the underground, and the you will have: farmers, collectors, miners and builders all digging down!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014