July 7th Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Tiy submitted a new blog post:

July 7th Progress

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

yay quests

Fireball14 and Serenity like this.
  3. Serenity likes this.
  4. Tomato Master

Tomato Master Noob Simulator 2014

Maybe make it so sometimes, you will have to kill a mob that spawns only while the quest is active. Once you find and kill said mob, you obtain a rare-ish weapon. The rewards would vary depending on how hard to find the monster is. Maybe sometimes you would have to kill a boss / miniboss.

legodude2, JoeBlk, vanella and 4 others like this.
  5. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

What did you do with the previous shepherd of souls!? Now who will be one of the last bosses before Dracula!? WHY HAVE YOU CHANGED SO MANY THINGS!?

Anyway, quest template:

Pick up piece of paper. It's an old, yellowed image of what looks like a horse. But upon closer inspection...

6. Daldril

Daldril Subatomic Cosmonaut

quests :)

what about: collect treesamples from different biomes, or even different biomes from different planets. or even:
    find something specific from each planet out of the current system, or even neighboring system?

7. DionZeromus

DionZeromus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Woot, quest progression is go!

Starting to sound and feel like full package now!

8. Ponjkl

Ponjkl Subatomic Cosmonaut

One of the things I most want is the ability to rent houses to NPCs :D

9. yclatious

yclatious Guest

I realy hope these "Death Rules" dont include Ore Loss like in the Nightly...I selected normal dificulty,I dont want to lose half a hour of mining just because I dont have a shield and you put backwards walking slow <_<

Fix that,please,its a game killer

MysticMalevolence and Blake81 like this.
  10. UndeadRuckus

UndeadRuckus Aquatic Astronaut

11. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

1. Kill [X] number of Monsters on Planet with Biome Type [y]
    2. Free [x] Prisoners from Planet [y]
    3. Deliver [1][2][3][4][5] items to Village [y] on Planet [Z]
    4. Read Codex [1][2][3][4][5]
    5. Learn Recipes [1][2][3][4][5]
    6. Capture alien [Z]
    7. Collect [item] [#]
    8. Consume [x]
    9. Go to Location [x] on Planet [y]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  12. Jdekko

Jdekko Aquatic Astronaut

Interesting, very Interesting stuff there Tiy

13. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I wonder what portion of the game will not be randomly generated quests but also not be part of progression. Those are the ones I'm looking forward to most.

14. Firerexred4

Firerexred4 Void-Bound Voyager

i think there should be a more story-based element to questing, like in the beginning quests

Blake81 likes this.
  15. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Quests: errand lists of the gaming world.

16. Ossus

Ossus Aquatic Astronaut

Aside from the typical gather X, kill X, defend X, quests I've always liked exploration based quests. I love being rewarded for doing what I already find fun. Something like: "Investigate one planet in Sector X" or "Colonize one planet of X type" or even "fly to a random planet and report back." Those sorts of quests can easily chain into bigger, more in depth quest lines.

Any quests that have lasting impact are also a major bonus. It is always great to do a quest and then come back later to find that your decision impacted the world or that things changed as a result.

17. DiscordDave

DiscordDave Void-Bound Voyager

I think that the key one here I was going to suggest is #3. A few ways to do it. Buy items from a merchant and deliver them to someone else, or manufacture something and either deliver to a 3rd party or the quest giver. A way to encourage cooking or crafting/mining instead of just killing everything...

18. Zurgh

Zurgh Void-Bound Voyager

If anything, could the quests not be like the current "Get a superior brain"... Some people have gotten one on there first kill, others have had to grind for hours just to get one. I would like something a bit less "random" than that.

19. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Quests!! Personally I've always liked quest systems with a unique currency for redemption from a 'quest token vendor'; think daily quest tokens MMO style. Then you turn in tokens for vanity armor, decorations or special trophies. It makes quests more rewarding, removes the RNG element for rewards and allows an expansive 'reward pool' that can be built out for future random quests. Outpost shop? :D

20. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I want to go on a quest to a nearby planet to investigate the quest giver's old home, only to find it in ruins. And then I want to find the diary of the quest giver's loved one.

I want to return the diary while beautiful music is playing in the background.

-QUEST COMPLETE-
    **10x Feels Acquired.**

Since this suggestion got several good backers, I thought I could go ahead and explain the details of the template.

In setting A, find NPC A and initiate the quest. You're required to travel to setting B, which is placed in a planet (or asteroid) marked with coordinates. NPC A gives you these coordinates with its description of the quest. It also gives you a description of the place the player's supposed to investigate, which could be a prison, laboratory, abandoned space station or ruins. So even if the coordinates don't take to the exact same planet (or asteroid), you still get clues as to where it is.

When you reach setting B you'll find item A, which could be a document, journal, letter, trinket, photograph, even information disk. You can take item A and return it to NPC A. This isn't even simple at all...

...But, this template could be used for other quests, not just tragic feels quests. There's a lot of potential for it, but I'm sure lots of other people have the same idea. So it's bound to make it in.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014