June 26 - Re: Spawning

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Jun 26, 2014.

1. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

metadept submitted a new blog post:

June 26 - Re: Spawning

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Jerobinz, Tamorr, Yzzey and 15 others like this.
  2. nerfcrazy5

nerfcrazy5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Glad to see the great work you guys are giving us! I like to see the new system working!

3. That's pretty awesome.
    Hopefully now it will actually feel like we're encountering real animals, and not just randomly scattered foes.

4. Uzkniso

Uzkniso Big Damn Hero

This made me excited!

5. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

i only ever thought birds would only be existent on earth.. that's a rip-off! goddamn you aliens and your suberbrains!

Jerobinz likes this.
  6. Nimeni

Nimeni Big Damn Hero

Yes! You are right!
    But I feel like it's an continuum foreplay :(

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  7. SteelSoldier

SteelSoldier Existential Complex

That bird looks cute, till it starts attacking you.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  8. PartyAlarm

PartyAlarm A "Cool" "Good" poster.

And vomiting caustic ichor at you

Gumdrop Meadowz likes this.
  9. skydart

skydart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

And is immune to the weapon special feature (e.g. fire and poison) of the only weapon you carry.

10. Hah, didn't even think of that one! That's pretty awesome actually. It might behoove you to keep more than one elemental type on you now!

11. dkdeath

dkdeath Contact!

Owl_Stalker and Finn Learson like this.
  12. YeBittenDog

YeBittenDog Aquatic Astronaut

Awesome updates recently. Very exciting. Looking forward to even more!

Finn Learson likes this.
  13. SomaSam

SomaSam Big Damn Hero

Nice! I hope this applies to fish too. It was weird running through a poison planet, seeing fish spawn in the water, and precede to immediately die due to the poison.

Now I wonder if prison birds will have an immunity to barbed wire. :sarcasm:

Tournesolbook likes this.
  14. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

Good stuff, would be great to see monster palettes matching the biome they spawn in, monsters could spawn with small alterations in that palette then (slightly brighter/darker, slightly different hue), perhaps there could be a very small chance for an "ugly duckling" (a monster that has way different colors than it is supposed to get).

Maxwell Demonic, SomaSam and Starsly like this.
  15. AdenSword

AdenSword Pangalactic Porcupine

YES! FINALLY MONSTERS! Does the game still crash if you cook meat though?

16. Jeoshua

Jeoshua Existential Complex

All of this stuff is extremely good news, especially the monsters' color schemes matching the biomes they occur in. This was actually a suggestion I was about to make after finding a planet that randomly had just that.

There should occasionally be a monster or two that have extremely wildly divergent colors, like a Toucan or a Bird of Paradise would. This is usually used in the real world to attract mates by showing "I don't need to blend in to survive, look at how pretty I am, ooooh"

riseoflegends and Titanium like this.
  17. NovastarX

NovastarX Big Damn Hero

Finally! I was waiting for this one! :party:

Out of all of the updates, this one is my favorite. And now I can't wait for biome-specific color swaps (whenever that happens)! Also another thing to consider: biome-specific attack pools! Oh, and planet-matching palettes like plant parts (such as the quadruped bulb, Allergen, Flower Biome creatures, etc), so that monsters with features that would be relative to their environment look the part! Maybe planet-palette matching for attacks too (like the rock-based projectiles). But I'm sure that's a job for another day! I can't imagine how that would be coded.

Also, I was getting personally exhausted just looking at those perpetually airborne creatures... I'm so happy for them now that they get to land. :cry:

Finn Learson likes this.
  18. The O5 Director

The O5 Director Big Damn Hero

Wait.

WAIT

BIRDS CAN LAND NOW

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

19. ahamsandwich

ahamsandwich Void-Bound Voyager

With these new spawning mechanics I might actually play nightly and see what all the buzz is about :3.

20. Jeoshua

Jeoshua Existential Complex

As long as we're on the subject of monsters, there are a few changes that should also be addressed, either now or in the future:

Water Creatures - Ocean biomes are going back in, and they feel extremely empty. There are tiny fish, but no predators or boss creatures. Nothing in an ocean world to actually pose any kind of threat, or even to beautify the place. If you have the ability to breathe water, Ocean biomes are places of complete and total impunity and safety from monsters. This needs to be addressed with some aquatic creatures, even possibly just a piranha type fish for the time being.

Herbivores - Assuming the creatures that do not immediately attack you are herbivorous, they need to act the part. They should find bushes or flowers or plants or - god forbid - player made farms, and begin to chow down. This would give them a reason to exist, make more sense as to why they do not immediately attack you, and give the game a little background life that makes sense.

Food Chains - Now, with Carnivores and Herbivores both in the game, the Carnivores should be made to attack the Herbivores, on sight. This will create a more dynamic world where it doesn't feel like the player is the only target of the mob's attention/inattention. It would, again, make the planets feel a lot more alive, and it would be extremely awesome to watch creatures attacking each other.

Avoidance - Not every creature, when attacked, should fight to the death. Already there are some creatures that seem to "forget" about the player's previous attacks when losing sight of the player. This should change to some creatures, when attacked, instead running away very fast. There are two reactions to a life-or-death situation: Fight or Flight. There needs to be more "flight" (and I don't mean flying creatures)