Dev Blog 7th October - Status Update!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Hey everyone, long time no dev blog! :)

A couple of weeks ago, we had a panel at EGX! Thanks to everyone who came and asked questions and talked to us afterwards - it was really lovely to meet you all! If you missed it, it's up on the Youtubes now.

We've been working on the next update! Here's a tiny sneak peek:

[​IMG]

'Til next time!

<3

2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

If thatThunderCookie is right, and we are getting starbound: the roguelike...
    Sweet Jesus I'm going to have a heart attack and die of hormone induced shock because of how ecstatic I would be.
    (You might also want to take a look at some of the suggestions he made. He's right you know... The foundation and structure you provided for your game is fantastic, but you need more before it becomes your dream condo.)

3. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Dang... I actually thought about taking a flight out to EGX... Now I regret not doing it...

4. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

Rougelike starbound? Isn't the indie market already saturated with rougelikes though?

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  5. Jareix Cryvix

THERE WILL NEVER BE ENOUG ROGUELIKES!
    Because there isn't an oversaturation. There's an oversaturation of games with roguelike elements, but are just games with permadeath and randomly generated dungeons.
    starbound's overly awesome potential for RNG makes them an amazing candidate for a proper purist roguelike game that is like rogue... Randomly generated items with unpredictable effects akin to the potions and scrolls of old, cursed equipment (maybe) with crippling effects, enemies spawning with equipment far beyond your own (much like that one time when a kobold spawns with Excalibur and one-shots you). It's all there, waiting to be type into amazing lua scripts full of possibilities...

Relten, SentientSupper and Kawa like this.
  6. Nate McCloud

Nate McCloud Existential Complex

...Think I'm gonna be sticking to non-permadeath, thanks.

Essalure Lenara and Heartstrings like this.
  7. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

Now, the issues with turning starbound into a total RNG dictated game boils down to a couple key problems:

1. Turning the game to a system in which it totally relies on randomness would require a massive overhaul, of which would take a lot of work and time invested.
    2. This major change would cause a MAJOR rift within the community. If folks are going to get angry over a hotbar fix, imagine how they would react if they had to deal with a massively game changing update.

8. Jareix Cryvix

I'm not saying an overhaul, I'm referring to the "ancient trial" dungeons that were added in the nightly, which behave sort of like mission dungeons, but have procedurally generated layouts. It'd be an endgame dungeon system to play after beating the ruin, and would come with its own different parameters.

Rukrio likes this.
  9. Gensou Ichida

Gensou Ichida Scruffy Nerf-Herder

is the next update going to include optimization fixes

because i'm really getting fed up with the fact that i can't play this game without it running at like. 3-6 fps with input lag

10. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

That sort of thing is entirly possible in the current game. The hardest part would be actually creating the "puzzle pieces" that get stitched together to form the randomized dungeon. But otherwise an "Rogue Legacy" type mechanic is very possible.

Starbound's engine is highly modable out of the box, so I think it would be interesting to see a total conversion type of thing made. I wonder if chucklefish would ever license out their engine... I mean it isn't some super flipping awesome feature rich mega engine, but it does have a really high level of configurability. (Hard coded mechanics aside...)

Lodish and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  11. Jareix Cryvix

Which is what it looks like they are doing. And believe it or not, the amount of vanilla assets gives starbound some seriously awesome potential. There's a neat vid showing planets generated with only vanilla assets and modified vanilla code. They are fantastically unique and breathtakingly beautiful in their eldritch and strange way.

Makes me sad CF went with the realistic route rather than the chaotic route.

Heartstrings and Hatsya Souji like this.
  12. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

Can you link the video?

Anyways, that temple looks awesome! Or challenge?

13. Jareix Cryvix

The mod shown at the bottom is the only one used. All of the weapons are also vanilla, being created with basic custom commands that could probably be incorporated into vanilla buildscripts.

Qndrez likes this.
  14. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Well that was a nice viewing. Quite what I was expecting, and overall thought. Keep up the excellent work. Cheers! :nuruhappy:

15. doomstrike53

doomstrike53 Void-Bound Voyager

That video hits the nail right on the head. I especially agree with the need for more diverse planets and biomes. Constantly going through the same fiery worlds just for some relevant equipment for my level is extremely boring. Exploration and dungeon crawling is probably the most fun part of the game for me.

Heartstrings and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  16. Cat_Fuzz

Cat_Fuzz Star Wrangler

Gensou Ichida likes this.
  17. RedPanda_Warrior

RedPanda_Warrior Star Wrangler

The picture of that ancient thing.... Novakid mission? Seeing as the Novakid are fragments of the cultuvator.

18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

19. RedPanda_Warrior

RedPanda_Warrior Star Wrangler

20. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

Ah, I see now. Thank you for answering my points...

I hope I didn't sound cynical in those posts, as that wasn't my intention what so ever.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.