Dev Blog 7th January - We Have a T-Rex

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Original Post

Hey everyone!

Following up on Tuesday's post, we thought we'd shed a little more light on the fossil system. :)

[​IMG]

The new Fossil Station lets you craft stands for fossils and tools for excavation. Let's go looking for some! You'll have to search underground if you want to find any, of course.

[​IMG]

Looks like we've come across some skeletal remains! Use the tools from the Fossil Station to excavate them, which is done with the minigame we showed off in the last post.

[​IMG]

We found a T-Rex skull?! How come there are T-Rexes on distant alien planets anyway? No time for questions, lets display this in our museum!

[​IMG]

There are three different stand types for three different size categories of fossils. To complete some fossils you'll need to find multiple parts. Some fossils might be familiar to you but others will be totally alien, like many things in the Starbound universe! I'm sure that there are people who would be willing to pay a pretty penny for a completed skeleton, too. Better get digging, then!

[​IMG]

2. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Like the display.

Good to see this coming along nicely. i will more likely enjoy adding a museum of a different kind to my colony... when I get around to building one that is. lol

red rope is a nice touch.:nuruhappy:

3. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

YES. Love the ammonite texture there, and especially the T-Rex. Though, the artist kind of forgot some of the holes in the skull for the eyes and/or ears. Still, it's just what we needed! Can't wait to see more alien stuff come from this.

Jareix Cryvix and Hawk Novablast like this.
  4. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

This is awesome! But as a dinosaur enthusiast, please, please, please correct the in-game spelling. T-Rex is incorrect, the named Tyrannosaurus rex is a scientific name, therefor the shortened version would be T. rex, rather then T-Rex. Likewise, there's no plural form, it's T. rex rather then T. rexes.

On another note, those sprites look incredible, I'm so excited for the entire fossil system! Hoping we'll be able to find Liopleurodon on ocean and/or desert planets :p

5. steelwing

steelwing Big Damn Hero

Oooooooh, shiiiiiiinyyyyyyy....:cool:

6. KatherineOfSky

KatherineOfSky Big Damn Hero

Very cool idea! I can't wait for this to come to the Stable version! (I like the new jester outfit too!)

7. Whispik

Whispik Void-Bound Voyager

"We have a T-Rex"

Oh...

I need to put my head between my knees.

8. Midoss

Midoss Scruffy Nerf-Herder

oh my god that looks awesome!

9. Plex_Director

Plex_Director Pangalactic Porcupine

Hey there CF team! Happy, belated, New Year!

That T-Rex looks pretty good, but now I'm really excited to take a look at those alien fossils.

10. Krabbe

Krabbe Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't like the stands to much. i mean, why do you need those support pillars to hold the T-Rex up? They have FTL tech, so why can't they use anti-gravity to support the parts? I don't think you should remove the support pillars, but also give the player the option for a more futuristic design using anti-gravity.

11. Midoss

Midoss Scruffy Nerf-Herder

yes it can be better

legodude2 likes this.
  12. JezaMK2

JezaMK2 Void-Bound Voyager

Will excavation serve any functional use? Such as weapons, armour, vanity wear, consumables, etc etc?

Tazmaniac95 and legodude2 like this.
  13. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

It seems that the fossils will be able to be sold or given to some NPCs for a reward, considering the last line.

14. TalphaLL

TalphaLL Void-Bound Voyager

I think it should be like Jurassic world where you can bring the dinos to life

15. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

wow really cool you guys are adding arcology already its a bit ealy though but really cool anyway
    i hope there will be ailen bones too not just dinosaurs and maybe pots and rusty armors and weapons and some time very rarely goldend artifacts also remains of long lost ailen races

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  16. IEpicWolfI

IEpicWolfI Void-Bound Voyager

Apart from skellingtons, can we expect some artifacts? Maybe bring some of those skellingtons to life in one way or another? :DD

The MechE and Hatsya Souji like this.
  17. RamsiC

RamsiC Pangalactic Porcupine

So it's cool that we can find these remains but is it just another distraction that leads to another decoration type or will there be actual reasons to go looking for these skeletons? I mean can I actually set up some sort of museum that npc's will warp to and look around for a fee or are we just kind of getting something else to do once in a while?

18. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

NOW - with that title, we really-really-really need to be able to bring these back to life as either the slotted pets or soOomething. I want to ride a t-rex while shooting lasers through a world made entirely out of eyeballs.

Hatsya Souji and General Nuclear like this.
  19. The3LKs

The3LKs Void-Bound Voyager

Beautiful, and it'll give me an excuse to expand my base again.

Also, you guys left that poor wooden chest beneath the large stand. Have you no shame?!

20. ReidVx

ReidVx Orbital Explorer

That's really cool~ Looking forward to becoming Indiana Jones up in this :3

By the way, any word on when we can expect the new quest system that allows progression with the current crafting tables and system?~ :D