Upcoming combat changes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

mollygos submitted a new blog post:

Upcoming combat changes

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
    Tamorr, Tiranoi, fidgetwidget and 7 others like this.
  2. Speedicus

Speedicus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Woo, yeah!

*first*

also, I love the combat aspects of this game.

3. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Looks really decent so far, though I really cant wait to see how the more drastical changes (Mob AI) will look like. Theres alot of potential in that.
    And hopefully later on (not in the near future like next months but at some point) Psionics... god Psychic powers... so cool...

Also thought of giving the Agaran their own weaponary at some point? I think since they are antagonist they deserve a somewhat terrifying arsenal of weapons. Something fitting to them like "Spore Mortars" (Equivalent of Grenade launchers) and "Parasit Rifles"... something biochemical you know... maybe even something like a Chemical Destabilizer (as their equivalent of rocket launcher or Anti-Materiel Rifle) leaving a highly corrosiv cloud for a bit.

Oh and the debuffs... would it be possible to scale them at some point (and maybe add a few like slowness etc?)? Currently burn and poison are kinda useless at later tiers because they dont level with your characters items...

Melee weapons look very good after those changes are in the game I guess, but still we have those kinda useles ranged weapons... Shotguns? Why should I use them if the Bonehammer does that what a shotgun does... for free without usage of power... Assault rifles do a bit too less damage for my taste and they waste alot of energy... a few mods add already different ammunition types you can craft and which are consumed by weapons. This would eliminate the ussage of energy for them and energy can be used for different things (psychic powers and techs for instance, techs as it is right now). But please dont go whatever you plan to do with "Lasers and Plasma Rifles use energy". They need energy to run indeed. But the energy can be contained in an Energy Cell instead of draining it from the players pool. The energy cell would be then the "ammo" for a laser or pulse rifle or anything else energy based and for plasma rifles maybe something like an "Fusion Cell" which basicly produces energy as mainproduct powering the gun and plasma as byproduct which is the projectile ^^

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014
    Daldril and TheRoachMan like this.
  4. TaoMino

TaoMino Orbital Explorer

Do whatever you want, we will love it anyway :D But please, focus more on bosses, the music the hardness the loot and stuff. Or make it so that for every sector you have to kill like 3 bosses. I don't know but something. Would be amazing. Keep on working guys! You'll have free time when your done ;) just kidding.

5. Shiokuri

Shiokuri Ketchup Robot

Because its April 1st, I don't know whether to believe it or not... It seems completely serious, but at the same time...

6. Sacheverell

Sacheverell Void-Bound Voyager

Improved combat ftw. :D

Amm0nius and Kyonai like this.
  7. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

Oooh, combat is meatier, monsters heavier, directional bashing? Lovely updates, devs!!!

Chompy likes this.
  8. flamedance58

flamedance58 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh my glob! Finally! Directional combat! You have no idea how bloody annoying it is to have a sword that slashes horizontally only and then to throw it away because the hit box is puny and that even a weaker but vertically slashing weapon is much better to use!

So to finally be able to swing at something other than Left or Right is ridiculously fantastic! I think this was one of the major failings, no offense devs, to the combat system and really made it feel like a hack n' slash and nothing more in the most boring sense, once again no offense devs, and the finally have this fixed is incredible.

I do wish we'd have more enemies that actually attack. So many just ram you and that's it...I mean if an enemy is ramming me and I hold my sword out why doesn't it just instantly kill itself? I'd like to have the melee enemies actually run up and then actually swing at me not reverting back to the basics of harming me with "contact damage" which doesn't make sense unless the enemy is covered in poison/spikes/lava/fire/etc.

9. anglophoenix216

anglophoenix216 Void-Bound Voyager

Milly Rainbowskittlez likes this.
  10. Ferrettomato

Ferrettomato Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ferrettomato approves. Keep up the good work, Chucklefish. :hylotl:

11. namztis

namztis Master Chief

And the game only gets better and better :party:

vanella and Ferrettomato like this.
  12. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Sounds good
    Though I am more excited about Monster parts giving abilities.

Also it would be awesome if monster parts each had their own loot list or added to a loot list.
    ===
    Also if a partial ammo system can be implemented. Great too. No need to remove energy drain from main game.
    Just give unique weapons an ammo system, and let modders change it for everything as they see fit

13. Superninjakiwi

Superninjakiwi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This good.
    Very combat
    Such direction.
    Wow.

Ferrettomato likes this.
  14. TheTrueArtisan

TheTrueArtisan Subatomic Cosmonaut

The directional swings will be a major saving grace for the previously not-very-useful spear. And combat will be a bit more involving now.

Although, it could be rather humorous if a short-range weapon swung up didn't clear the player model and gave you a "sharp head."

15. Mowen

Mowen Void-Bound Voyager

I'm glad monsters will no longer be agile gymnasts. That did feel very surprising / awkward watching them fly into the air. :p

16. D'oh, we're not that cruel. This post is for reals. :)

17. Zeoinx

Zeoinx Phantasmal Quasar

We have a Molly sighting!! Also, cant wait for ship upgrades!

18. Aeronautical

Aeronautical Void-Bound Voyager

Great progress!!! Speaking of ship upgrades, when should we expect that patch or update to be released?

19. Hilkyshtuff

Hilkyshtuff Subatomic Cosmonaut

Sounds like combat will be tons more fun in the future. Although I wonder if it's worth experimenting giving certain monsters their own swing attacks/animations, instead of it just being hit on contact for every melee monster.

20. Star and Moon

Star and Moon Space Kumquat

I must agree with these updates, but I think there should still be some fast monsters, maybe on higher level planets.