Changelog for v. Furious Koala

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jan 26, 2014.

1. mollygos submitted a new blog post:

Changelog for v. Furious Koala

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Oreas27, SnowFox1, Lumiere and 31 others like this.
  2. restredainted

restredainted Phantasmal Quasar

Keep it coming! Progress is great! :3

3. bbq1040

bbq1040 Big Damn Hero

The diamond drill situation sounds eerily similar to what I said happened to me in a post. Lol.

Jelly Opera and Kergami like this.
  4. Loxy

Loxy Pangalactic Porcupine

Finally The update to end all wipes! Now I can finally begin to grow attached to this game in its entirety.

Thanks Chucklefish <3

5. fadohacolu

fadohacolu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm so happy. :D Thank you, devs!

EDIT: Now that I've "played", I'm sad to say that the game has become completely unplayable for me. I don't think 'stutters' is really the word for it either. More like crippling FPS. :/

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    TrinityMoon, AIex, Niomo and 5 others like this.
  6. SuperBrea

SuperBrea Void-Bound Voyager

Finally I can kill people on sector X :sneaky:

Jelly Opera and Kergami like this.
  7. Whiplashr

Whiplashr Space Penguin Leader

The fact that hotkey rebinding still does not exist in the game is actually pathetic.

And the fact that so many people still give them cover and excuse them for it is equally pathetic. They are being fanboys.

One of the devs tweeted a work in progress picture of hotkey remapping back on like December 11th. Like 6-7 weeks ago.

Doing hotkey modification via config file editing is super easy, and many games it's the only way you can even do it. They already have the code to read .config files, and parse values into variables.

Oh.. use autohotkey.. right?

Bad solution. When remapping keys via autohotkey, it makes it impossible to type things in the game normally. Such as text chat, or searching for items in crafting menus. Because your keyboard is remapped. You try to type, but it comes out gibberish. Not to mention that keys stick or miss quite often. Nothing lamer than running around trying to fight and your movement is stuck one direction.. or the keys don't register at all and go through unmapped.. opening a crafting window or something else you didn't intend.

Autohotkey actually sucks big time. I can't believe people continually parrot this "solution" without any understanding of why it's bad.

And the devs (and most ardent fanboys) are too quick to dismiss this problem and act like it's unreasonable to want this. Or its just a matter of some people learning to adapt to WASD for a little while.

Way too dismissive and arrogant over a feature that is trivially easy to add, and industry standard at this point.

I've been crusading on this subject for weeks, and I ran into a guy on another forum who lost use of some fingers on one hand due to an accident in his youth. He can't play the game at all without remapping keys.

It's not just people who don't like WASD, or lefties, who are moaning. It's a real problem for some people. AND TRIVIALLY EASY TO ADD.

I am shocked that the devs are so arrogant to the point of hubris on this. The dismissive attitude that has been demonstrated by Tiy and other developers on this issue is staggering. The wild success of this early access has prompted them to feel like they are untouchable and don't actually have to remotely responsive to any problems or complaints at all.

And far too many people give them cover and make excuses for them, when this is a pitifully and trivially easy thing to add. And a problem for a substantial minority of people.

I'm getting well fed up with it. And no, I won't shut up about it. You stop making excuses for them. This is trivially easy to add, and should be a higher priority.

8. dnlkng

dnlkng Void-Bound Voyager

It keeps crashing on startup on my mac. I know this isn';t the place to put this but I'm hoping someone might give me a quick fix, it says in the log Info: Not loading ImageMetadataDatabase from file '../../../image.cache', digest mismatch or assets not digestable
    EDIT: Just checked twitter and Tiy said it was something wrong with Steam started it without Steam and it worked

nic624 likes this.
  9. DeadSecret

DeadSecret Void-Bound Voyager

Nice Update, thank you!

10. Jetpack725

Jetpack725 Guest

The update's out, now people can shut up and stop whining

11. Axel_nflames

Axel_nflames Void-Bound Voyager

Well, now I know what I'm doing today.

12. fadohacolu

fadohacolu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This issue is entirely new to me- I've not heard of it yet. On the whole, I'm not entirely sure I can agree with you.

I will agree wholeheartedly, however, that 95% of the community are fanboys extremely eager to defend the devs, and justify whatever they do (or as is usually the case, don't do). I wish you luck on your crusade, but posting it here takes some guts. You're about to be eaten alive.

Rogerio Santos likes this.
  13. Axel_nflames

Axel_nflames Void-Bound Voyager

Also, you guys should really stop poking the koala with a stick, he seems to be getting really upset.
    [​IMG]

Exxil3d, Matush, SnowFox1 and 25 others like this.
  14. Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

For an hour...then they'll be whining about when the next patch is, lol. =x

marlenx2 and Paco495 like this.
  15. doubtful

doubtful Void-Bound Voyager

*edit* Just saw the tweet about keybindings being a priority, so, woot! Thanks for the response on this issue guys. You've been a little quiet on that front, or at least not very vocal on primary channels, which is why a lot of us affected users have been so concerned. Some input/response is always a good thing, even if you have to tell us that it's going to be a while! :)

While I disagree with those that are spewing bile and vitriol about it, I, too, am disappointed--and shocked, frankly--that there are still no rebindable keys this time around. This comes as a surprise especially because of all the talk about major changes to the game engine and whatnot. If setting up rebindable keys is difficult due to some core engine design, it ought to be done while you guys "have the hood up" anyway, and if it's easy...well, what are we waiting for!? lol.

Glad to see the patch hit, though, for the character wipe...wipe, lol.

But seriously guys, it's well past time to be able to configure our own controls, please! :)

Thanks for listening, can't wait to jump back in!

Are there any mods that let you change keybinds btw? I seriously keep looking so my sister who has some issues controlling her hand in the "default" configuration for every pc game ever, and she still can't play Starbound almost 2 months later. I am proficient with Autohotkey and it just doesn't play well with her computer. The same fixes for me do wonky things on her computer. We need a fix for this. :<

Sakata-MC, Nhyte, Darklo and 8 others like this.
  16. Cyyn0

Cyyn0 Void-Bound Voyager

so no ocean biome? i am bit disappointed :( well it was too good to be true..

17. XDarkPhoenixX

XDarkPhoenixX Pangalactic Porcupine

Awesome :) Thanks Molly

18. Uxt

Uxt Star Wrangler

FPS is even worse for me than the past version, and that was bad before. If anything moves aside from my character, if it rains... well, basically anything I do causes FPS to drop below 1. If it didn't keep sucking my memory, I'd record it and create "Starbound the Slideshow!" for kicks and giggles.

But anyway, survival is impossible. Loading times are much faster, game is crisp and smooth in the ship. However, teleporting down into acid rain with a flying enemy attacking in my state leaves me two choices: quit, or sink my heel into my CPU. Sounds are stuttering pretty badly as well, though I see a thread on that already in General Discussion.

Thanks for the update. I'll just have to wait longer in order to play. Isometric Sokoban anyone?

EDIT: Might I add, teleporting down to the planet is much better. I don't have to keep rolling a die to see how many times I teleport back into my own ship.

Vemon, AmeLeo, DudeUA and 5 others like this.
  19. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

So far, I remember packed dirt can be produced by threes but now, all I could get now just 1 packed dirt per 3 dirt?

20. aliengash

aliengash Void-Bound Voyager

please improve the server tool, like "starrybound", it is a good tool, but no more update. now we need the basic server commands and function for admins to control players. and the server tool is very easy to crash, i think should add auto restart.