Regarding Steam & DRM-Free

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Nov 9, 2013.

1. mollygos submitted a new blog post:

Regarding Steam & DRM-Free

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Lord Kain

Lord Kain Ketchup Robot

Thank you for the info Molly

3. Yup, that's what most of us knew already but an official clarification is more than welcome on the matter of the beta release.
    Good job Molly, as always! :love:

4. Hooveh

Hooveh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

While I normally prefer Steam, I think I'll be using the DRM-free version of Starbound. Easier to modify, in my opinion. ;)

FlutterBrave, Noc, Molinware and 2 others like this.
  5. Deity

Deity Title Not Found

You the best Molly :3

6. Ecleptic

Ecleptic Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm definitely up for option 3 that sounds like the best and easiest option, but Option 2 sounds like a great one also! Obviously Option 1 isn't all that great, I would prefer you guys put as much time into the game as possible! :):chucklefish:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  7. Wolfbanes

Wolfbanes Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks for clearing that up!

I'd much like the 3rd option, with the DRM-free version being only given when the game is finished and released instead of during the beta. Or, release a DRM-free version every time beta goes up a stage, one in Progenitor, one in Automaton, and then one in Bio-organic.

8. Electric0Eye

Electric0Eye Phantasmal Quasar

Awesome update, always good to see you guys are totally on top of things! Thanks Molly! ;)

Captain Malcolm and BrenSage like this.
  9. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Existential Complex

I don't expect everyone to agree with me here, but I'd do 3. Early beta shouldn't be too much of a juggling act for you guys.

10. oneblockwonder

oneblockwonder Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Im down with option 3 because most people use steam anyways but option 2 seems like a good option too.

11. Ayer99

Ayer99 Orbital Explorer

Exciting news! We can taste it!

But will it be coming to Gameboy Advanced?

12. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

Option 3. If I'm going to get a couple update per week, I want them done by my fast and reliable comrade Steam, not some installer and launcher you have to activate and then wait several minutes for update to complete like for instance I have to do every time Blizzard updates Starcraft 2.

13. jakeroo123

jakeroo123 Void-Bound Voyager

3 sounds like the best option, overall. 2 sounds workable, as long as having the Steam version doesn't mean you can't have the DRM-free version.

14. Hooven

Hooven Void-Bound Voyager

Option 3 all the way. It isn't worth taking time away from development to satisfy people who dislike Steam. Those few people can get in later as you said.

MSJesterkid, GMark, Paco495 and 38 others like this.
  15. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

There's 3 beta stages, right?
    How about make beta updates through steam, and release a drm-free version at the end of each stage?
    I'm aware of the incompatibility between this version and the steam version, but at least more people can help bug-hunting, even if only on single player :)

16. Psh, obviously.

(No :down:)

Lintton, Tamorr, Starcat5 and 70 others like this.
  17. Hello83

Hello83 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Definitely between 2 and 3. 3 Sounds like the best.

benjajb, HerplinDerplin, uHu and 4 others like this.
  18. Holylifestar

Holylifestar 2.7182818284590...

Either option 1 or 2 please. I just dislike steam alltogether. Not only does it eat up quite a bit of CPU for me (Vista) I also dislike having to turn it on so often :/. It also just overall lags games with the...whatchamakallitthing.

samaran123 likes this.
  19. cecil1994

cecil1994 Star Wrangler

Option 3, please!
    The DRM-free hippies can wait.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  20. Aureas

Aureas Big Damn Hero

i vote for 3 atleast that way the drm free people get to play and it wont hurt beta advancement