Late Tier Upgraded Matter Manipulator

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Arbor, Nov 3, 2013.

?

Good Idea?

1. Yes! Sounds Cool.

87.6%
  2. Meh. Sounds OK.

8.3%
  3. No. Seems pointless/dumb.

4.1%
  1. Arbor

Arbor Title Not Found

I think it would be cool if, in later tiers, it was possible to find a somehow upgraded/supercharged matter manipulator that mined fast and had a larger dig radius.

2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. Svarr Chanston

Svarr Chanston Cosmic Narwhal

Ohh~ why yes, that would keep the item from being gimped once you got better gear for the longest time, i approve!

4. LordQ

LordQ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This sounds great already. But I'd be inclined to even have it as an early tier thing, as it would probably make more sense than using simple stone tools like the pickaxe, axe, and hoe.

5. Notta

Notta Orbital Explorer

Agreed.

This is a great idea. :)

6. Trent

Trent Big Damn Hero

The ability to manipulate matter has a very broad range of uses. So far I'm disappointed to see it only useful for placing things. End game weapons and armor could take the form of matter manipulator upgrades. Blocking claws or fast moving bits of metal = manipulating matter. Separating a monster's head from its body = manipulating matter. :D

dvsfx and KFK like this.
  7. Notta

Notta Orbital Explorer

You bring up a valid point, sir. :)

8. Itami

Itami Star Wrangler

i'd like to see an upgrade for it too, but not as explained in the OP^^
    even though a bigger range would be neat to have for mining, considering how low it got with the drill, i'd prefer a different upgrade.
    taking into account what a big range the manipulator has for placing objects and blocks, i think it would be better fitting to ugrade it so it can also grab and take objects to the player, basically like telekinesis. of course this would require using the manipulator as an item in an active slot.
    the higher range for mining tools could still be added through normal upgrades though, sounds still usefull to me^^

LordQ likes this.
  9. Dinosocks

Dinosocks Pangalactic Porcupine

Seems similar to my Modular Manipulator/Drills idea, anywho

As far as i can see (as pointed out by someone who told me this, but i completely forgot their name) Matter Manipulators are simply meant to exist to place the things you have, like beds, blocks and turrets. Mining isnt as much as of the point because they added Drills to do that job, and as awesome as it would be to have overpowered manipulators, does that rule out drills?

I mean, think about the items that were put into the game for exactly the job. The manipulator was never meant to be a mining tool, and if it was im sure we wouldn't start off with one.

That all being said it would be incredibly fun, but it would leave other tools pointless.

10. Cockatoo

Cockatoo Big Damn Hero

Sounds pretty great.

11. Spacebear Cube

Spacebear Cube Poptop Tamer

Longer range too! And bigger build radius!

12. ZehrokRP

ZehrokRP Void-Bound Voyager

That would be awesome, but I feel it should only be craft-able after you get to the final tier (X, at the moment).

13. dvsfx

dvsfx Contact!

it reminds me a lot of the plasma cutter from deadspace too bad it would be useless against any necromorphs :(

14. CivillianTree

CivillianTree Lucky Number 13

Why not an upgrade that makes it like Gravity Gun from Half-Life so it lifts thing to throw at enemies? It could even have a lesser version of this at the start of the game to fend off from monsters while you're still getting proper weapons.

15. Karrakazul

Karrakazul Orbital Explorer

I'd like to see its item placement abilities upgraded, we already have dedicated mining tools so making the MM another one seems redundant and boring. An extension that opens up a 3 x 3 grid that you can place blocks into to have the MM use that pattern when building would be great for making walls and filling in backgrounds with certain designs, a further extension that lets you "save" multiple patterns as presets you can use.

16. braydon

braydon Phantasmal Quasar

Why would you want increased build radius? that would just make it clumsy and hard to use. There isn't a limit to placement speed anyway.

17. Karrakazul

Karrakazul Orbital Explorer

If I'm building a wall made out of two different type of blocks arranged like so:

xox
    xox
    xox

If I can make that a 3 x 3 template with the MM then I can build that wall quicker. It would be an upgrade you can turn off and on like techs or like holding shift to place a single instead of a 2 x 2. Plenty of uses, not clumsy and hardly hard at all.

18. Nimja

Nimja Pangalactic Porcupine

Can we remove suggestions that have already been implemented?

buttonmasher likes this.