Village Event (and NPC behavior)

Discussion in 'Side Quests' started by Ian, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Ian

Ian Subatomic Cosmonaut

After reading about the NPC tendency to go outside in the day and farm, I started thinking up some ideas for more diverse NPC behaviors.
    1. NPC behaviors vary by race of village and. each village has 3 behavior types 1 always being to clean their homes (a broom animation would play)
    -Glitch, Farming, using the well
    -Apex, Science lab experiments,
    -Hytotol, practicing fish fu (or what ever martial art), meditating
    -Human,
    -Avian, worshipng Klux, farming
    -Floran, hunting (really close to town)
    -Novakids, spend time at the saloon, tend to the space cattle (now every novakid village needs a cattle ranch)

VILLAGE EVENTS!
    After making unique behaviors you could create randomly spawning events in villages, each village type would have at least one type of event.

Apex villagers might start a small scale rebellion, with picketers in the street

Novakids could have bar brawls, jail breaks, bank robberies, or gun duels

Avians could have a cermony in honor of Klux

And so on and so forth. These quest wouldnt give you the best rewards but they would be dynamic and immersion catching

2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

Jacksport888 likes this.
  3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Sounds interesting. I reckon humans could do maintenance on equipment, or maybe get out their mobile device and use it for a while.

Jeoshua and Windcaller like this.
  4. Theros42

Theros42 Void-Bound Voyager

I like this a lot. I like the idea that if you stay in a village you get rewarded. And parties are always fun.

Windcaller and CptnAwesome like this.
  5. Windcaller

Windcaller Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I definitely like the ideas.

6. Ultrahumanite

Ultrahumanite Void-Bound Voyager

Glitch cities could have new buildings like an excecution stage where "faulty glitch" would be killed or humiliated and the crowd would throw automatos at them. Humans could drink soda, salute the USCM, or read books. Florans could grow small plants that would quickly wither away and when near hylotl they would argue and mabye even attack.

7. The Last Soloer

The Last Soloer Astral Cartographer

Humans should be def. playing videogames.

8. Flytrap

Flytrap Void-Bound Voyager

This is brilliant! I would love to see a small Apex riot!

9. flamingbacon19

flamingbacon19 Big Damn Hero

I would love to see avains throwing darts at a floran dart faced board. Or avains torturing a floran in a basement or so.
    Or even florans having avain prisioners and maybe planning to send out a hunting party

Sorry did i get that floran and avain hatred wrong? Dont they hate hyltols or somthing? Eh idk but i think im wrong lol. Sorry if i am.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  10. extremist

extremist Existential Complex

Those ideas are genius, you have my support.

11. Zaisher

Zaisher Scruffy Nerf-Herder

and being able to intervene in the bigger events like Id just be a hooded guy sitting on a building watching a riot then when people start killing eachother id jump in and side with one of the- am I thread necromancing?

12. Kagamine Len

Kagamine Len Orbital Explorer

rant(){

Villagers definitely need to carry out menial tasks, Glitches have farms in their towns but don't even touch them. take a page from minecrafts book and have them harvest/cook it can even show them holding the items they've taken.
    Villagers don't interact with their own shopkeepers or villagers the whole village would be more convincing if the game showed villagers attempting to haggle with merchants, or the merchant saying thank you for a purchase to a npc with shop items. This can also be said for pirates they talk about the captain, but never salute them. nor do they engage pirate activities(plenty of plot room here could have them walking someone off a plank or prisoners in a brig to save and have them turn against you, or having them earn your trust by going along with it.)

There's wizard npc, surely they should spend any time idling practicing something whether its reading a book and mentioning ingredients that would improve something. or even expressing anger at a failed potion. "Blast! i thought it'd work this time for sure!" This game has very little ambiance to it and feels quite hollow with a lot of missed opportunities. When mining deep underground could run into miners who've been trapped in a cave in surviving on what the food merchant has to sell. (could throw in some joke dialogues like: "I'm down to my last 20 pixels." implying he can't keep buying food from the merchant. or even "damn. this cave in was great for business" upon contact with player.

maybe when you start building colonies from nearby planets spontaneously show up essentially filling your town up.

There's also not enough "nature" should be small animals that have no impact on the game aside from aesthetics. squirrels climbing trees, snails sleeking along the floor. I understand these animals might not even exist on this climate or type of planet but that just gives a reason to be more creative and think what sort of animals would. asteroids could have a large space wyrm inhabiting it poking tendrils through gaping holes in it. be more creative with the mobs since the randomly generated mobs aren't really random after the third planet.

//end rant }

DrFlashbang and Pipe Oil like this.
  13. Bacon Falcon

Bacon Falcon Void-Bound Voyager

Genius good sir! GENIUS!

14. hammys

hammys Space Hobo

It'd be nice if the player could interact with the events too, rather than being just a bystander.
    For example, in one of the Apex riots, the player could side with the Apex rebels and start a revolution. On the other hand, they could assist the guards in keeping them controlled, by maybe shooting a few of the rebels if violence started.

DrFlashbang likes this.
  15. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

All of my yes.
    Villages could really use some spicing up.

rhomboid likes this.
  16. FloomRide

FloomRide Cosmic Narwhal

I once had a Hylotl friend in my base. He went out for a walk, tilled some soil, and then got horribly mauled and killed by a monster. That's pretty much as interesting as it gets, and these ideas could definitely improve the immersion.

17. FluffySplie

FluffySplie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd love to see a Novakid Western Town!
    With Saloon's, Cattles, Everything!
    And then the whole Town is suddenly empty and quiet because the sheriff will have an duel with an outlaw at 12 o' clock.
    You know, typical Western stuff just in Space 'n such things..

FloomRide likes this.
  18. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

Humans could repair stuff or get on a computer/phone.