Dev Blog 26th April - Some Assembly Required

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Apr 26, 2017.

1. KRANOT

KRANOT Big Damn Hero

that makes me sad.... it will be a dilemma of lookking ince vs power

2. Toa_Derax

Toa_Derax Pangalactic Porcupine

Yep. Although, we might get more cosmetic options later on, which would be dope. Can't really know until we have the update, I guess.

3. kazunenazumu

kazunenazumu Void-Bound Voyager

Can't wait for this one, space exploration, here i come !
    If the assembly system could be applied to vehicle, it would be dope, fam !

4. LostSeeker

LostSeeker Subatomic Cosmonaut

One thing that concerns me above all... I notice on all the GIFs of mechs in action, they all have a bar that slowly depletes, with damage taking a chunk off of it whenever they're hit... Do mechs have a limited lifespan? What happens when that bar becomes depleted?

I worry that this mech space travel will feel a bit forced in not being able to pace ourselves, as it may end up as simply a mad dash (or flight in this case) from station to station.

Also, should our mech get destroyed when out in space (or if you never even bothered to get a mech), a zero gravity jetpack back item (with oxygen support) would be really handy, as we could still use our character's handheld weapons if you want to be more agile in exchange for being less durable without a mech.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

All you need for getting around in zero gravity is a spear with the rocket spear special, so I wouldn't worry about getting around in space without a mech.

6. Lintton

Lintton Guest

You can also beam out in space, assuming the same rules for asteroid planets applies.

7. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, but being able to escape != able to move around easily.

8. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

But it likely means being able to get the means of moving around easily or repairing the mech.

9. sidnijs

sidnijs Aquatic Astronaut

This feels like i met my worst enemy, he goes by the misterios name: Waiting.

10. Lord Humungus

Lord Humungus Big Damn Hero

Will 1.3 feature statistics/information displays for muscle, bone, nerve and organ tissue of both player characters and npcs?

Holding out to be able to measure the musculature and vascularity of both my players and random poptops.

11. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I think you might be confusing Starbound with Dwarf Fortress there.

12. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

We could also use the rocket spear (said by DraikNova), hover boots (Asra Nox has them, why not us..?), and our Hoverbike. Just wear that helmet, equip that EPP, and cruise AROUNDDDDD TOWN.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  13. jhilden13

jhilden13 Void-Bound Voyager

You should make it so that you have to put the mechs on a special platform for them to be worked on. While small, I feel like this would make it feel more like you were actually working on an object, instead of an intangible energy blob. That said, this looks really cool! Keep up the great work!

14. mgolden38

mgolden38 Void-Bound Voyager

[edit]

1. Mechs look AWESOME.:nuruawe:
    2. As of 5/1/17, apparently, the update was supposed to be out yesterday(According to my sources)
    3. CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT

Question:
    Will this be available in the Unstable build before the Stable build?

15. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

What sources? Release dates are only really reliable if they come from the devs, and they don't give them out far in advance.

Also, I'd advise against using black text. Some people use the darker forum theme, which makes it very hard to read.

16. Tlactl

Tlactl Cosmic Narwhal

The GIF previews of the update that is coming out soon shows the planets and moons actually orbiting and moving and that got me wondering: will planets and moons finally move around in the background?

17. Ishrindor

Ishrindor Cosmic Narwhal

That's an interesting point Tlactl, cause if that is or will be the case then all the system in the universe should, given the gravitational pull of the center, move within the disk that they lay in.
    Or I'm looking into the new solar system setup WAY too deep and wanting it to be more of a means of, if not, a hit of realism.
    If any.

18. Tlactl

Tlactl Cosmic Narwhal

In real life all the stars are moving in basically the same speed and direction as stars next to them, so it would make sense for only things inside solar systems to move around but not the stars/systems on the star map

19. Lord Humungus

Lord Humungus Big Damn Hero

they need time to code in the nerve/bone/muscle tissue to allow us to factor in musculature and vascularity

20. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Look, if you really want, I'm sure someone out there can make a mod that simulates each creature with a series of creatures with their own health and resistances and replaces the elemental damage system with a blunt/sharp system. But I don't think this is really the right place to discuss that.