Random Happening/ Rare Events

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Change568, Jul 7, 2013.

?

So what do you think?

1. Good idea?

97.9%
  2. Bad idea?

0.7%
  3. Already posted/In game.

1.4%
  1. Change568

Change568 Space Penguin Leader

This game is looking great. Buutttt can we spice it up a little i say YUS! Since we can travel to different planets. why not make a planets experience a rare memorable one. Here's a example. Earthquakes! Have the screen shake and big chasms spawn! Or have a spaceship fall from the sky in the back ground and then crash some wheres on the planet. Something that is Different that will make you want to come back to a planet and be like.....................yea this happened.

2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. Oritai

Oritai Void-Bound Voyager

Sounds awesome.

BrenSage likes this.
  4. Uan

Uan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That would be great!:love:

BrenSage likes this.
  5. Shot846

Shot846 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You mean events like Halloween events and Summer event and stuff like that like Double Pixel event or Double Monster Spawnrate weekend? Or what exactly?

Deegan likes this.
  6. BrenSage

BrenSage Pangalactic Porcupine

I think he means things that could affect a planet's history, such as, like he described, earthquakes. I think space-cow sucking tornados would be neat.

Deegan likes this.
  7. vladiskov

vladiskov Space Spelunker

a earthquake would be too hard, but what about a fire...

Even thought they would have to program the nps to start rebuilding or something o3o

Svarr Chanston and BrenSage like this.
  8. chucklesthesquirrel

chucklesthesquirrel Void-Bound Voyager

I like the avatar picture you have. what if I told you, DIABEETUS.

9. vladiskov

vladiskov Space Spelunker

that with me?

10. Alxetora

Alxetora Phantasmal Quasar

Love the idea of having random events, always makes just about every game that much more enjoyable. In pairing with the NPC civilizations, I think you should be able to land on a planet during a random village celebration or holiday. For example, you could beam down to a planet and find the natives celebrating something similar to Halloween or having a large feast.

Svarr Chanston and Maruku like this.
  11. Svarr Chanston

Svarr Chanston Cosmic Narwhal

Randomly a monster has an intelligent conversation with another one, when you get close they stop talking and act like normal. Low chance of happening so it freaks out players.

Another idea... random low chance of a creepy doll appearing places in the game, if you collect it and keep it in your inventory more dolls will show up randomly, further creeping you out. (singleplayer only maybe?) Oh oh, and what if they change expressions off screen if you don't collect em? Yes, that would be perfect, mwuahaha.

Maybe a npc from a villager staring at you randomly (or entire village? o: ) for a few moments.. I think i'll stop here, because i notice all of my ideas are creepy pasta material and i almost suggested that the entire village follow you for a few moments slowly. :boo:

Thank you brain, you're doing a wonderful job at being creepy, i'm sure everyone needed to know what you were thinking just then, bless you.

(Warning: I make many random edits to this post, as my mind is warped with stupid ideas to add in. :mwahaha: )

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    iamagrapeman, 8BitSandy and Grapes like this.
  12. Dunham18

Dunham18 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It is good but if i remember the world will be the same.
    Why did i tell you about this?
    Well it wont be much of a secret because when someone finds it they will tell how to get there.
    If your telling me just dont look it up?
    Just something about me i cant avoid them but thats just me.

13. Haroldman

Haroldman Space Spelunker

Sieges, weather changes (Floods, snow, thunder that interacts with environment etc.), NPC conflicts (bar fights, thief's and other crimes that you can intervene will you help hind the orphan thief?, grudges between two different npc's towns, pick a side or help them negotiate etc.) Meteorite/ comet showers, new species appearing on your planet, changing season that affect climate and the crops that grow, bandits migrating/appearing on the map, other refuges that land on a planet (Stasis pod from space prisoner ship, is it a guard or a psychotic murdering glitch? free them or send it back to space) Migrating merchants that travel around planets/solar systems. Cultural holidays in different towns (Human settlement celebrating a random holiday that you can attend if they trust you) These are just a few ideas for things that could help tailor a more personal experience and allow the player to impact their planet.

Deegan likes this.
  14. Aligyon

Aligyon Astral Cartographer

you beam down to the planet but all you get is a black screen, a few secs later you wake up realizing that you have been knocked out and taken prisoner! but luckily you have your trusty mater manipulator with you and a twig as a weapon. Now kill your captors ant take back your loot! :D ofc there would be a boss or loot chest that you can get back your stuff from ;)

15. TheApothecanary

TheApothecanary Starship Captain

i like this idea.

16. S0me001

S0me001 Void-Bound Voyager

I think it would be great, but it would be annoying and difficult to make the events happen randomly while on the planet, maybe large events (earthquake, spaceship crash, etc) happen when first arriving on a planet, and smaller things like meteor showers or enemy humanoid invasions (Like a random boss encounter) could happen once and a while every time you return to a planet after spending x amount of time on the planet previously (To prevent people from simply warping up and down).

17. natethethinker

natethethinker Orbital Explorer

randomness and exploration go hand in hand, they drive you to search every corner and crevice and motivate you to explore more. you explore more hoping to find something new, something unique, like elder scrolls games where your running through an unexplored part of a dungeon looking for something new. the biggest deal about this randomness topic is that it needs to be unique. Random rarity, for example a single planet with a super rare Blade Teleport tech letting you cut through anything living when you teleport. or a unique civilization of dancing plants that have super rare artifacts and such. When I search a planet these are the things im looking for random experiences I can discover!

18. Scottvrakis

Scottvrakis Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Definitely could use more creepy ingame. I agree.

19. Dalmnolk

Dalmnolk Tentacle Wrangler

Good... but with earthquakes your buildings will be destroyed.
    EXEPT if there is some iten do prefent this events.

20. TaintedZorua

TaintedZorua Yeah, You!

Here's my thought, the idea with earthquakes are great! Here is a few more; meteors (time limit before planet is destroyed), massive floods, tornado, planetary wars (between races/random attacks), and finally extreme conditions (hot/cold).