Dev Blog 23rd February - Space Station 14

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 23, 2017.

1. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

Any ideas on the brand new never before seen features aswell?

2. TheRealJackattack

TheRealJackattack Orbital Explorer

Will You Be adding more Soundtrack to the game

3. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This probably won't happen soon, because music takes time and doesn't seem to be the current focus.
    However, you can add more music to the game with client side mods that re-introduce the old soundtrack, or add in tracks from other games.

This shouldn't affect multiplayer or saves since it's just sound files, the easiest would be steam workshop but there are some direct ones here on the site.

4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Frackin. Music.

Seriously, some of the tracks in there are seriously awesome. There's some mediocre tracks that add to the variety, and there's one or two that are "eh..." but the awesome ones more than make up for it.

Also, check out the Felin Custom Intro... it has a truly awesome theme called Ether Disco.

This one is my favorite from Frackin' Music:

I love building to this theme.

5. Ickura

Ickura Big Damn Hero

Oh my goodness I've been looking everywhere for this track!
    Had this played when I first discovered a forest planet with pink trees and a ruined castle, truly amazing.

Kawa likes this.
  6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Regarding soundtracks and client-only/MP-safety:

Planets, once generated, store their own track list. If you install a mod that replaces the lists in the biome files, you'll find that already-generated planets don't match the new track lists. As such, if another player were to visit a planet with a modded track list, they'd run into issues because they don't have those tracks. So that's not MP-safe.

As oppossed to a mod that, instead of touching the biome files' track lists, merely replaces the ogg files. Those are perfectly safe. A forest area might try to play "on-the-beach-at-night.ogg", but instead of On the Beach at Night, you hear Ether Disco or even godsforbidit リサフランク420 / 現代のコンピュー. And visitors? They still hear the original, because that's what their file has. Perfectly safe.

Full version of Ether Disco: http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/index.html?isrc=USUAN1100237

Taink, Ainzoal, xaliber and 1 other person like this.
  7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

@Kawa : Depends on what you mean by "MP-Safe".

If you beam to a planet that wants to play an ogg you don't have, the game won't crash or anything. You'll simply get no music at all with a warning in your error log about a missing file. Other than aforementioned silence, it does not impact gameplay whatsoever.

And to be honest, I feel that Chucklefish could really improve upon this. Since the same ~5 tracks are used on every single planet in the game, and given the logfile says the game is going to play a "Default" track (which turns out to be silence), I don't understand why CF just doesn't have the game load one of the default 5 tracks if you run into a missing .ogg issue.

It really isn't that hard to implement... "Does the user have this .ogg? Play it! Oh, the user doesn't have it? Grab one of the original songs that would normally play instead."

Simple IF statement stuff, nothing too complicated.

It would, however, make ALL Music mods "MP-Safe".

EDIT: That, or stop storing the stupid tracklist in the planet data (which is really really weird, I do NOT understand why they chose to do this, it makes no flippin' sense) and have the tracklist be pulled up every time you beam to a planet, so that modifying a tracklist applies to a planet that was already made. This would also be an MP-Safe solution.

8. Tyler Tenebrae

Tyler Tenebrae Pangalactic Porcupine

There is also a less-than-elegant option of updating already existing worlds with either a server-side script or an external utility. I suppose that works both ways.

9. Kirbyroth

Kirbyroth Pangalactic Porcupine

We need a awesome weapon to fire on our station like this one.

Attached Files:

• BSA.png
      BSA.png
      File size:
      61.1 KB
      Views:
  10. Tyler Tenebrae

Tyler Tenebrae Pangalactic Porcupine

I've never seen this one. The "space funeral" coffin launcher was just as good destroying things. We put a singularity bomb in it once to destroy an enemy ship.Good times.
    Then I got a permanent ban on that server for throwing a primed grenade back at the admin on a murder spree. I regret nothing.

Taink, Tuliup Man, Kawa and 1 other person like this.
  11. Tuliup Man

Tuliup Man Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In my opinion, my favorite method of mass destruction is turning everyone into sentient slimes, by running around and injecting people, most people usually don't even notice cause they think it is a geneticist or something giving them super powers... until they turn into a slime person, where they realize the misdeed I have done, then slowly turn into a sentient slime, where if I need to, I run around with a fire extinguisher yelling that some slimes escaped and I extinguish the life out of them... because lets be honest, who knows how to cure this disease or takes the time to before it is to late?

12. Kirbyroth

Kirbyroth Pangalactic Porcupine

It Bluespace Artillery it can fire at any gps device no matter where it is even centcom if you can get one there.

Slimes are fun till they turn on you lol

13. ComatosePhoenix

ComatosePhoenix Phantasmal Quasar

Just a thought, but it was probably considered at one point that each planet would have its own playlist, based on biome or something. It probably also allows them to set stuff like custom bossfight and scripted music for special worlds/planets.

Underused but not totally useless.

14. Niels2012

Niels2012 Void-Bound Voyager

I can't wait for the update, I'm not sure if you're planning to make any abandoned/dead space station wrecks, but if so that would be awesome to explore

15. Sir Chungus I

Sir Chungus I Orbital Explorer

YEEE ive been waiting 4 a zero g environment for a long time now
    i hope i can build in one:nurushock:

DragonsForce likes this.
  16. Tuliup Man

Tuliup Man Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Limited use fire extinguisher propulsion device that can be found on the station: acts like a stronger rocket spear ability, and can be used in case you get spessed because of some lubed floor that a clown set up near the air lock.

17. Dekadrachm

Dekadrachm Heliosphere

Space stations seem like a great addition, didn't make too much sense that the outpost was the only station in a whole Galaxy.