Dev Blog 23rd February - Space Station 14

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

That elevator thingy, is that a new rail platform?
    Neat.

2. Taink

Taink Subatomic Cosmonaut

The tiles actually look like Edge of Space's. I guess.

3. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yup, check metadept's twitter if you want to see it in action. You can actually direct it to go to special rail stops, which were apparently made because using normal components made wiring a nightmare and buttons would be fiddly anyway. You also seem to be capable of calling one to a specific rail stop.

4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

This will be cool. I just want an elevator system that works without having to worry about lots of wires and switches and all that junk.

5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I just want elevators where I can get on and off without having to rely on luck to avoid hitting the floor at high speed.

Sylxeria, xaliber and Kawa like this.
  6. xaliber

xaliber Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I hope they also include something similar to "No rail platform interaction". There's nothing more annoying than accidentally removing platform to the bottom of the ocean.

Also, a man can wish... I wish there will be platforms where we can build something on top of it. So we can finally ride this around the world:

7. SuperNermal13

SuperNermal13 Void-Bound Voyager

A question Unrelated to this blog post. After watching Nintendo's upcoming Indie Game presentation I was excited to see Chuckle fish bringing Stardew Valley, Pocket Rumble, and the all new WarGroove to the Nintendo Switch. But it got me wondering if Chucklefish has any plans to bring Starbound to the Switch, or any console of that matter, but mostly the Switch.

8. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

If your question isn't related to the blog post, then it shouldn't really be asked in this thread.

But to answer your question, while console ports are being worked on, I'm not aware of any plans for the Switch specifically.

Kawa likes this.
  9. alecsander

alecsander Subatomic Cosmonaut

anyone gotta guesstimate as to when this'll be out

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

"Soon™".

Or,

"When it's ready."

Sylxeria, Lodish, Taink and 1 other person like this.
  11. alecsander

i just wanted a guessstimate not the bethesda motto :p

Lodish, xaliber, Taink and 1 other person like this.
  12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Blizzard loves that term too, in fact, nearly every dev says such things, because..... well, it's true.

In fact, the devs who DON'T use those terms are the devs who get burned time and time again. Sometimes it takes more time than previously thought to find a particularly elusive bug. Sometimes devs give a date and they gotta cut planned content to make that date.

I'd rather they say "Soon" and just wait until the "It's ready!" surprise than them give a date and then when it does come out, something was cut because they just couldn't make it work on time. I'd rather they take their time and do it right the first time.

13. alecsander

yeah i understand i was just being a little tongue in cheek :). honestly now that they are revamping the navi system and adding in space stations i hope space combat isn't too far off, and i hope that it plays similar to ftl's combat and less like geometry wars

14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I'm wondering how ship combat would even work in SB.

Sure, you can be cloned if you die while on foot, but what happens when your ship blows up? Do you magically get a new ship, complete with every single item that your old ship had in it? Or do you lose everything... if the latter, then I would avoid that crap like the plague.

Jareix Cryvix, Jonesy and Kawa like this.
  15. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Personally, I hope ship combat isn't a thing. It really doesn't make much sense, since someone could just combine an Erchius FTL drive and a bomb and blow you up from the other end of the universe.

M_Sipher and PaxCallow like this.
  16. bconlon

bconlon Subatomic Cosmonaut

Based on how long it has taken before for new updates, I estimate that 1.3 might come out around the very end of April, but with how "big" it seems, maybe the beginning of May. I also estimate that the Unstable release might come out around the end of this month.

EDIT: This is only comparing to how long it took for 1.2 to come out.

Kawa likes this.
  17. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

Now I imagine a long rail platform holding my mech as it passes through built facilities, opening doors, blinking lights, alarms, and rises up to meet a large monster. PROGRESSIVE KNIFE!

While Robotech opening plays....?

Ainzoal likes this.
  18. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

I'd like more of a pirating type thing rather than just straight up ship combat. Damage to the ship would require you to pay a fee to get it repaired, while some of the more expensive things stored on it are looted. Though you could possibly put a tracking item in an inventory, and it'd allow you to trace your attacker and retrieve your loot. At the same time, it'd give a use to ship locker as it'd be protected from looting. It'd also give more of an incentive to upgrade your ship and set up a planet base.
    Idk, just spitballing...

19. HachiYakumo

HachiYakumo Phantasmal Quasar

Is there any release date for the update?

20. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That was already answered, just a few posts up on this page.